NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

Just now, Trebla said:

Yep.

And when you've got a hundred million in cap space, you can afford to do that. 

Also worth noting that Osweiler can be cut after this year with no cap hit, so provided the Browns don't trade him again (which supposedly they might), they essentially leveraged a team that desperately wanted to clear cap space into a second round pick.  It's a very NBA trade.

16 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I didn't believe it either but it's getting traction;

That PFT article touched on my biggest issue: a trade puts them more on the hook for dead money. So it would have to be better than a late round pick to justify it. Would either team be willing to give up say a 4th? Or even a 3rd? I'd lean more towards the Cowboys putting this out and trying to get a team to bite than it being legit. I've been wrong before, though. 

eta: HOLY SHIT...NOW I'm starting to believe it.

13 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Browns just traded for B.O, proving once again that the Browns are gonna Brown and making the Texans legit competitors for Romo's services. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If the trade really is BO and a 2nd rounder for nothing (or from some benchwarmer just to make it a "trade"), then that is a truly awesome deal the Browns just pulled off.  That sort of thing is common in the NBA, but I can't ever remember a team trading away draft picks to dump a bad contract.  Does anyone else remember something like this ever happening?

6 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Houston gave up a pick to Cleveland so they would take Osweiler.  That is hilarious.

WOOOWWWWWW!!!! My hair is still wet from the shower but I had to chime in! This is bonkers! I've made countless jokes about teams that would have to trade picks to dump a shit contract like Osweiler's but I never really believed I'd see it happen! It's like christmas!

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Also worth noting that Osweiler can be cut after this year with no cap hit, so provided the Browns don't trade him again (which supposedly they might), they essentially leveraged a team that desperately wanted to clear cap space into a second round pick.  It's a very NBA trade.

Yep, the Pacers did this last year with their 2nd rounder (their only pick). Always wanted to see it in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Not only can they afford to do that, they sorta have to.  There's the salary cap floor to think of.  If you have to spend your money, and aren't particularly interested in getting better this year (particularly not with veteran guys), then trading cap space for a premium draft pick because some other team overpaid is ideal.  If the Browns don't think any of the QBs this year is "the guy" then Osweiler will definitely make it easier to get the top pick next year. 

1 minute ago, Trebla said:

I got no dog in this fight, I just don't think it's trainwreck people are making it into. *shrug*

JP seems to be the only one who thinks this is a stupid move.  I think laughing at the Browns is just a gut reaction at this point. 

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Browns package Osweiler and picks for Jimmy G.  I've seen numerous tweets suggesting Brock is on the way out.

I wouldn't be shocked either, but I'm still on record that IF the Pats trade Handsome Jimmy, then he is going to suck.  This goes double if he goes to Cleveland.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Browns package Osweiler and picks for Jimmy G.  I've seen numerous tweets suggesting Brock is on the way out.

Can't see BB paying BO that much. Assume Browns would carry most of the salary in this scenario?

I can't see the Pats taking that contract. 

Meanwhile Ian Rappoport is saying that this trade does not mean the Texans are after Romo. 

16 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If the trade really is BO and a 2nd rounder for nothing (or from some benchwarmer just to make it a "trade"), then that is a truly awesome deal the Browns just pulled off.  That sort of thing is common in the NBA, but I can't ever remember a team trading away draft picks to dump a bad contract.  Does anyone else remember something like this ever happening?

This. It was totally an NBA trade - Browns as a rebuilding team used their excess cap space to take on a player a playoff team was desperate to get rid of and pried a valuable draft pick out of it.

Never recall seeing this in the NFL before, but we've never had a situation as dire as Brock Osweiler before either. 

Just now, Jaime L said:

This. It was totally an NBA trade - Browns as a rebuilding team used their excess cap space to take on a player a playoff team was desperate to get rid of and pried a valuable draft pick out of it.

Never recall seeing this in the NFL before, but we've never had a situation as dire as Brock Osweiler before either. 

As someone who owns Hopkins in a dynasty league, Houston jettisoning Brock is fantastic news for me.

So apparently the BO trade was:

The news was first reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN, who says the full trade involves the Browns landing Osweiler, a 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick in exchange for a 2017 fourth-round pick.

:wacko::blink::D  Apparently giving up a 2nd rounder and BO for a 4th rounder wasn't enough.  The Browns are getting a 6th rounder too!  HAHA.  The Texans just got fleeced.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

They got a second rounder for taking on Brock's contract.  They have a hundred million in cap space.  I think it's a great move for them.  They clearly did it for the second round pick.

Rapoport is saying the Browns might just release him.

Amazing. One day, you're making a semi-credible case that you're better than (the shambling corpse of) Peyton Manning, then all of a sudden you're the booby prize in the NFL's first salary dump trade, scorned even by the Browns.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

Amazing. One day, you're making a semi-credible case that you're better than (the shambling corpse of) Peyton Manning, then all of a sudden you're the booby prize in the NFL's first salary dump trade, scorned even by the Browns.

You bring light into my world. 

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah it would be pretty hilarious if they just released him.

Just now, Maithanet said:

So apparently the BO trade was:

:wacko::blink::D  Apparently giving up a 2nd rounder and BO for a 4th rounder wasn't enough.  The Browns are getting a 6th rounder too!  HAHA.  The Texans just got fleeced.

Honestly, I think it's closer to win-win. Browns making a smart move doesn't mean Texans are being dumb. They're operating with different priorities.

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Honestly, I think it's closer to win-win. Browns making a smart move doesn't mean Texans are being dumb. They're operating with different priorities.

But trading away a 2nd rounder for nothing is always a bad deal.  It's possible that this is the best way to recover from their incredibly shitty move last year, but that doesn't change the fact that they just gave away a super valuable commodity for nothing but a do-over.

Archived