NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Honestly, I think it's closer to win-win. Browns making a smart move doesn't mean Texans are being dumb. They're operating with different priorities.

I think the thing that makes it rough for Houston is that a second rounder is a high price to pay for your own stupidity. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

But trading away a 2nd rounder for nothing is always a bad deal.  It's possible that this is the best way to recover from their incredibly shitty move last year, but that doesn't change the fact that they just gave away a super valuable commodity for nothing but a do-over.

And the endgame is signing an injury prone vet. Seems like Texans gonna Texan is going to become a thing.

Will there be more trades like this in the future? This kind of trade demands its own nickname right? So do you call it a Brock, an Osweiler, or a BO?

I first leaned toward Osweiler, but Brock makes an elegant verb. "I bet the Jets wish they could have found a trade partner to Brock Revis's contract."

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

But trading away a 2nd rounder for nothing is always a bad deal.  It's possible that this is the best way to recover from their incredibly shitty move last year, but that doesn't change the fact that they just gave away a super valuable commodity for nothing but a do-over.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I think the thing that makes it rough for Houston is that a second rounder is a high price to pay for your own stupidity. 

Yeah, it's a tough lesson, but boxing your future in because of sunk cost or past mistakes is just paying the price twice. The error was the contract, not the price to get out of it, IMO. 

Just now, James Arryn said:

Yeah, it's a tough lesson, but boxing your future in because of sunk cost or past mistakes is just paying the price twice. The error was the contract, not the price to get out of it, IMO. 

No doubt getting out of it is a good thing for the Texans, but again a second rounder is a high price to pay.

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

JP seems to be the only one who thinks this is a stupid move.  I think laughing at the Browns is just a gut reaction at this point.

Eh, I never said it was a stupid move, the wording of Wingo's tweet about it was what I was laughing at. But you have a point, laughing at the Browns is practically a subconscious reaction for me.

The Browns do continue to show they're willing to go outside-the-box with how they do business.

Just now, briantw said:

No doubt getting out of it is a good thing for the Texans, but again a second rounder is a high price to pay.

We don't really have anything to compare it to yet. Maybe this sets the market, maybe it looks brutal if more NBA deals prove cheaper. Hard to say at this point.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And the endgame is signing an injury prone vet. Seems like Texans gonna Texan is going to become a thing.

It may very well.  They have a very talented roster, and it looks like they're out of patience.  This move screams "win now, screw the future!"

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I'll be honest, if the Redskins had taken the BO contract for the Texans 3rd rounder, I would have been thrilled.  We have lots of cap space too, although nowhere near the Browns, and it doesn't look like we're signing anybody.  Obviously, it's not my money, but that is super expensive. 

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I first leaned toward Osweiler, but Brock makes an elegant verb. "I bet the Jets wish they could have found a trade partner to Brock Revis's contract."

At first glance, it looked like the Browns may have Brocked this one up. But upon review, it seems the Texans may have received the brunt of the Gronking.    

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

At first glance, it looked like the Browns may have Brocked this one up. But upon review, it seems the Texans may have received the brunt on the Gronking.    

Do NOT fix typo. Better this way.

3 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Funny, I just Tomsula'd my pants...

I think technically you have to be indigent (with pets) to do that right.

Also, new board rule: no one can post in NFL thread without having contributed at least once to the lexicon. You will be judged.

So now I'm hearing that the Browns are shopping BO and 2017 picks and offering to eat half his salary this year, in order to stockpile 2018 picks for a package to get Garoppolo. If that's true, I love the sudden NBA-ification of the NFL trade market. This is the most interesting kickoff to free agency I can remember.

Archived