NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

1 hour ago, sperry said:

I'm more and more convinced that Jimmy Garopollo is not going to be good. These backups basically never end up being good, and Garoppolo wouldn't be on the market if he was the real deal.

The fact that Belichick wants 2 first rounders instead of the standard X pick before he becomes useless to me tells me that he has plans for Garoppolo.  I wouldn't break the bank for him, but it does lead me to believe the Pats think he's good. 

7 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

The fact that Belichick wants 2 first rounders instead of the standard X pick before he becomes useless to me tells me that he has plans for Garoppolo.  I wouldn't break the bank for him, but it does lead me to believe the Pats think he's good. 

I hear Bill Belichick has some magic beans that will grow into Hall of Famers.  They're worth three first round picks at least, but he'll sell them to you for just 20 bucks! 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I hear Bill Belichick has some magic beans that will grow into Hall of Famers.  They're worth three first round picks at least, but he'll sell them to you for just 20 bucks! 

Exactly

14 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Belichick can ask that because there will probably be somebody dumb enough to pay it. There will be some GM who knows he can't afford a legitimate rebuild, so is willing to dramatically overpay and bet teh farm on a lottery ticket.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Exactly

Belichick can ask that because there will probably be somebody dumb enough to pay it. There will be some GM who knows he can't afford a legitimate rebuild, so is willing to dramatically overpay and bet teh farm on a lottery ticket.

I'm not saying I like Garoppolo (or however the hell you spell it) as a GM.  Double firsts is ridiculous.  Bill might be trying to psych out everyone, or he may legitimately like Jimmy enough to want a high price.  If it's the former, the price will eventually come down to something reasonable as he gets no takers.  If Bill doesn't think he's the future though, this is the best time to trade him, and the price hasn't decreased.  That makes me think, as a simple fan, that there may be something good there.  

Let's not forget, he was a draftnik's darling back in the draft period and was almost universally (at least for what I remember) regarded as a late first, second round pick as a small school prospect. He has the talent to be good.

Of course, draftnik's can be wrong.

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/cowboysb_logo.gif

cowboysb_logo.gif Dallas Cowboys: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

Martin is a fine player, but taking a right tackle with the 16th-overall pick is questionable. Good right tackles can be found on the second day of the draft. When you add in the fact that the Cowboys have a terrible defense and a serious lack of talent on the defensive line, you have to wonder if this was another draft-day mistake from Jerry Jones. When Aaron Donald slipped out of the top 10, the Cowboys should have moved up with the Titans for him. 

31. Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin: MILLEN HIGH-PRICED SCOREBOARD THAT MAKES PEOPLE BLIND KIELBASA Grade 
Travis Frederick!?!? The Wisconsin lineman who was considered a third-round prospect? There were other reaches in the first round, but this takes the cake. It seems like the Cowboys panicked with all of the guards flying off the board, which is the worst thing you can ever do in the NFL Draft. It's never been more obvious that Dallas needs a real general manager. 

151. Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State: A- Grade 
This is a pretty solid pick. I feel like Joseph Randle should have gone earlier than this. The Cowboys were desperate for a second running back with Felix Jones gone, as DeMarco Murray is too injury-prone.

Speaking of NFL Draftniks, the Redskins are looking into hiring Mike Mayock as GM.  Yes, Mike Mayock of the NFL Network.  Hiring TV personalities instead of actual professionals seems to be the trend in DC this year.  

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

@JonSnow4President (can't get it to quote your quotes about the Dallas drafts but here is my take)

Oh shades of Monday morning quarterbacking! What this truly shows is that jokers like Kiper and the rest are nothing more than weather men who are right once in a while.

And that hair! He looks like a fucking Dick Tracy villain.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

I'm more and more convinced that Jimmy Garopollo is not going to be good. These backups basically never end up being good, and Garoppolo wouldn't be on the market if he was the real deal.

The Browns need to stay true to the process, unlike the Sixers who bailed on it halfway through. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Browns become the smartest franchise in sports, but trading for Jimmy G is a sucker bet.

My guess is that the Browns have a value they're willing to pay for Jimmy G and won't go over it.  This front office has been doing the same with their free agents.  They were unwilling to overpay to keep Pryor, although they still may end up keeping him.  From the sound of it, they made him an offer they deemed fair and are willing to part with him if he won't take it.  They did the same last year with one of their offensive linemen.  

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Here's my uninformed hot taek: I think the Browns are going  to be a lot better next year. Yes, even with basically a hot mess at QB and some talent issues, they're going to be surprisingly decent - because their OLine is so much better. I don't think they'll be a playoff winner, but I do think they'll go like 7-9 with a couple of upsets of teams built around having a pass defense largely on their ability to rush the QB. 

I think so too.  Their offensive line is miles better than it was last year.  They essentially turned their greatest weakness into a strength.  Their defense should be much better as well.  They'll likely be taking Garrett first overall and may take another defensive player at twelve.  This draft is loaded with defensive players and the Browns have a lot of picks.

1 hour ago, JonSnow4President said:

Per Bleacher, Browns release RG3. It seems they're resting their hopes of a top 5 pick on Brock. 

Barring the Browns trading for a QB (or drafting one), I'd wager Kessler will be the starting QB in week one.  He was halfway decent last year.  Miles better than Osweiler, at any rate.  And he'll actually have an offensive line to protect him next season, which means he may have a shot of staying healthy. 

40 minutes ago, dbunting said:

@JonSnow4President (can't get it to quote your quotes about the Dallas drafts but here is my take)

Oh shades of Monday morning quarterbacking! What this truly shows is that jokers like Kiper and the rest are nothing more than weather men who are right once in a while.

Yes they can.  I'm convinced Bill sees something and has a plan to make it work cap-wise.  Otherwise he would have sold this year rather than applying a "haha, you can't have this because it's mine" price. Unless the plan is to try and pull a Bradford early next season. 

Archived