Your Favorite Stark Enemy?

10 hours ago, bilplat said:

Also Dany. Doesn't she think of Ned as one of the Userper's dogs? She's kind of a symbolic enemy too, with her house having connections to fire and Stark having connections to winter and ice. 

If this were the case that would make the Starks the villains of the story because Daenerys is the primary protagonist, the hero, and the main character of the story.

I will have to choose Lord Walder Frey.  His reasons for taking down the Starks make sense and Robb disrespected him.  Walder is a lot more entertaining to read than all of the Starks combined.  He's a funny old guy. 

Theon is my second pick because he was a hostage.    Just because the Starks didn't abuse Theon doesn't mean he owed them anything. 

3 hours ago, Steelshanks Walton said:

If this were the case that would make the Starks the villains of the story because Daenerys is the primary protagonist, the hero, and the main character of the story.

Main character? Hero? Primary protagonist? Yeah, cuz grrm really sticks to those molds. And where do you get these titles for Dany? At 31 POVs, I'd say Dany is less of a main character than Tyrion with 49. Or Jon with 42. 

Jorah Mormont. (Funny how he was left out of the list...) In the books, he seems poised to re-join Dany in one capacity or the other, and has never forgiven Ned Stark for exiling him. Moreover, in my opinion, he's actually likeable, unlike the other monsters on the list and names that have been mentioned.

8 hours ago, Steelshanks Walton said:

If you think there is one hero, and one main character, you haven't been paying attention.

7 hours ago, Steelshanks Walton said:

I will have to choose Lord Walder Frey.  His reasons for taking down the Starks make sense and Robb disrespected him.  Walder is a lot more entertaining to read than all of the Starks combined.  He's a funny old guy. 

Theon is my second pick because he was a hostage.    Just because the Starks didn't abuse Theon doesn't mean he owed them anything. 

A guy backs out of an engagement and he deserves death? Not even in the medieval world was that considered normal. He wasn't taking down "the Starks." He was taking down Robb. He even planned to keep Catelyn as a hostage. Nor does disrespect = a death sentence. And it's funny you should mention that anyway because Walder disrespects everybody and thinks that's perfectly okay, but if someone does it to him it's a capital offense. Entertaining I'll grant, but the guy is a jackass, a hypocrite, and a coward.

Theon's not an enemy to House Stark. He doesn't like them, but he's not out to ruin them. He only took Winterfell to try and gain his father's respect. Really Theon's a bigger enemy to himself than anyone else.

Petyr Baelish.  He was great at taking down the entire Stark family.  He's been manipulating Sansa like a puppet.  It might have been him who planted the idea on Joffrey's head to kill Eddard.   I like him for those reasons. 

Theon Greyjoy.  His surprise attack on Winterfell made the Starks look weak and thus beatable.  Roose and Walder had sound reasons to do the red wedding but they wouldn't have had the balls to do this if they ever believed the Starks would get their power back.  Theon made this possible when he took Winterfell from the Starks.  Robb's rebellion lost its symbolic capital.

Probably Tywin due to the disregard he had for anyone else who wasn't a Lannister. Even then, he still displayed a semblance of not really giving a crap when it came to some family members. The Rains of Castamere is really the cherry on top of it all.

5 hours ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

Jeyne Westerling's hips.

:cheers:

I'm going with the wildlings, since they've battled on and off for the last several hundred years. And the wildlings at least respect the Starks, which can't be said for the Frickin Freys. 

Out of all the Starks, Jon is the one that I really don't like.  I will pick Bowen Marsh.  I don't think Marsh stabbed Jon out of hate.  Marsh was just doing his job to protect the realm from Jon's poor decision.  Marsh didn't do it for personal gain . He killed Jon out of duty.

4 minutes ago, Wm Portnoy said:

Out of all the Starks, Jon is the one that I really don't like.  I will pick Bowen Marsh.  I don't think Marsh stabbed Jon out of hate.  Marsh was just doing his job to protect the realm from Jon's poor decision.  Marsh didn't do it for personal gain . He killed Jon out of duty.

Marsh was doing it to protect his but from political forces which his oath precludes him taking into consideration.

He's not an enemy of House Stark anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Marsh was doing it to protect his but from political forces which his oath precludes him taking into consideration.

He's not an enemy of House Stark anyway. 

Marsh was technically not an enemy of anyone but I chose him because he took down Jon Snow. 

15 minutes ago, Wm Portnoy said:

Marsh was technically not an enemy of anyone but I chose him because he took down Jon Snow. 

Would have been more impressive if he'd done it himself instead of having to do it by committee.

But you're right that he's not anyone enemy...except maybe himself.

Archived