Academy Awards 2017 - Oscar Night: In the Pale Moonlight

Mladen

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I haven't seen Fences so can't say personally whether I thought it was category manipulation (can't call it fraud really). But IMO as an actor Viola Davis is better than Portman and Stone (though they are quality actors in their own right). Never seen or heard of Isabelle Huppert, so can't comment there.

I know La La Land had a lot of buzz but I would have been surprised to see Stone win for it. 

1 minute ago, Castel said:

I know La La Land had a lot of buzz but I would have been surprised to see Stone win for it. 

Well, she is ingenue, she won all the precursors and the narrative of the other nominees is not tipping the scale. I would like Huppert to win, but I doubt it

Every live action movie has make-up and hair styling. So it seems rather on the nose to be only nominating 3 movies.

Not sure I would say there is anything particularly outstanding about Star trek or SS make up, other than that there was a lot of it on some people.

I've no idea how to judge hair styling so I'll leave that alone.

14 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, she is ingenue, she won all the precursors and the narrative of the other nominees is not tipping the scale. I would like Huppert to win, but I doubt it

I thought it was gonna go to Portman really and LLL would get Best Picture and Director.

Just now, Castel said:

I thought it was gonna go to Portman really.

Well, Portman is already a winner and she is not as clear winner for it to be above the questioning who should have it (like Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine"), so that is where Emma Stone fits.

56 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I really have to see Zootopia...

I think this is possibly the best Disney movie in years, though I enjoyed the he'll out of Moana too, particularly with my daughter.

I'm watching, but really mostly following commentary on Twitter. I expect Kimmel to get a mid level grade right now, though I have enjoyed him tonight...

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ok, Emma Stone is a big surprise. People were suggesting Ryan could win, but she had no chance at all.

How come? She won all the precursors, she was n.1 on all Oscar odds. She had far greater chances than Ryan of winning it. This wasn't a surprise. Ryan would have been, but not she.

Archived