Academy Awards 2017 - Oscar Night: In the Pale Moonlight

Mladen

I do dread the litany of op-eds being hastily written right now on what this means, as if it wasn't just two really old people not being able to think on their feet BUT RATHER the self-involved movie about white Hollywood being announced as opposed to the one about black youth coming of age.

Anyway, I didn't watch much of the show, but from what I did watch I loved how Kimmel took his Matt Damon feud to epic levels.  Highlight of the night for me.

I havent really heard a decent explanation for how it happened though.

Beatty claimed he was handed Emma Stones card (announcing Best Actress Winner from the La La Land movie). Yet Stone is claiming she had that card with her the whole time backstage after winning the category earlier.http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/entertainment/moonlight-wins-best-picture-oscar-flub/index.html

La La Land shouldnt be printed anywhere on the card Beatty and Dunaway read from.

Kalbear just posted elsewhere that apparently there are two sets of envelopes, on either side of the stage. Obviously, as one envelope goes out, someone has the responsibility to collect the other. Someone blew that task, and sent out the Best Actress envelope instead of the Best Picture envelope.

Since such a mistake has never happened before, after Dunaway and Beatty read off their fairly long spiel (off a teleprompter, I assume), you could understand they just ripped open the envelope without looking at the title on it. And when Beatty saw Emma Stone, he also saw La La Land, and was obviously confused and just said the movie name. Or was it Dunaway who read out the movie name?

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Thank God the situation wasn't reversed between Moonlight and La La Land

I can only imagine there would be rioting in the streets. Literal rioting.

i think both movies are pretty darn average but had a chance of winning because the oscars are mostly not to do with anfilms quality but it's subject matter.

i watched moonlight last night in fact and out of all of the nominees I've seen ( most of them) it's the one I really struggled to finish. There was absolutely nothing special about it at all , its the sort of movie I feel I've seen a million times. Its really only the la la land backlash that helped it win I feel. 

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I guess that's a record now, two black actors winning Oscars the same night?

Why is that category fraud? Should it have been best actress?  The film centres on Denzel, surely she is a supporting actor?

She was kind of the lead female. Naomie Harris in Moonlight was more supporting. IMHO.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

She was kind of the lead female. Naomie Harris in Moonlight was more supporting. IMHO.

Just because a character is the one with the most lines for a particular sex doesn't make the role they play a lead role. While I didn't see the movie, I did read several reviews of the movie and I read about the play, and from what I saw the movie is about the character Denzel plays. The wife played by Viola is a supporting character, not another leading character.

In any event, it's a question that regularly comes up about nominations. I think you can go back for decades and find discussions about why someone is nominated for best versus supporting actor.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just because a character is the one with the most lines for a particular sex doesn't make the role they play a lead role. While I didn't see the movie, I did read several reviews of the movie and I read about the play, and from what I saw the movie is about the character Denzel plays. The wife played by Viola is a supporting character, not another leading character.

In any event, it's a question that regularly comes up about nominations. I think you can go back for decades and find discussions about why someone is nominated for best versus supporting actor.

I get that. But given her screen time, words spoken, and overall importance to the plot (all relative to Denzel  and perhaps even the other characters in the movie), her role lay more on the leading side as opposed to the supporting, IMO. And my understanding of the movie was that it was about the two characters*; given, I went into the movie without having watched/read any version of the play at all.

*I would liken the situation to "Room" last yer; it made no sense, at least to me, why the kid was getting attention only in the supporting category while Larson got lead credit, or the Vikander situation. The lines between the lead and support were very thin, such that it was a story about two people.

25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don't understand the people trying to directly blame Kimmel for the screw up?  That makes no sense at all.  

It's Kimmel?

I expect, in time, that this will come up in the Kimmel/Damon "feud"...

Another day when I wake up and realize I am not unique. As soon as I saw Suicide Squad had won an Oscar I thought, man I live in a universe where Trump is president and Suicide Squad can call itself an Oscar winning movie. Happy Monday!

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Part of me wants to believe this wasn't an accident , that the organisers wanted to give it to La la land, and were going to, but the #oscarssowhite campaign got so loud they were forced to change.

what if this was a cry for help! :)

::MASSIVE EYE ROLL

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don't understand the people trying to directly blame Kimmel for the screw up?  That makes no sense at all.  

I'm sure this was not Kimmel's fault. 

However, when he said something to the effect that he was sure if he hosted the Oscars something bad would happen, it reminded me of the saying that I've seen posted more than once on Facebook lately about how a real leader takes more blame and less credit than he or she deserves.  I know what Kimmel said was partly a joke, but I think that was inadvertently one of the more important contrasts with Donald Trump at the Oscars.

The other moment where I thought that was Mahershala Ali's acceptance speech where he said being an actor is "not about you but about the character." 

When Hollywood, of all parts of our culture, can give lessons in humility to Washington, that really points out one of the main problems with the 45th POTUS much better than overtly political statements could.

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I can only imagine there would be rioting in the streets. Literal rioting.

i think both movies are pretty darn average but had a chance of winning because the oscars are mostly not to do with anfilms quality but it's subject matter.

i watched moonlight last night in fact and out of all of the nominees I've seen ( most of them) it's the one I really struggled to finish. There was absolutely nothing special about it at all , its the sort of movie I feel I've seen a million times. Its really only the la la land backlash that helped it win I feel. 

:ack:

Archived