Academy Awards 2017 - Oscar Night: In the Pale Moonlight

Mladen

I see the awards circuit is still making sure to reward sexual predators.  

I can't believe Emma Stone was up for anything.  She's such a mediocre actress and seems to have such a hostility towards WOC seeing as she deliberately chooses roles that should go to one of them.  

7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I can only imagine there would be rioting in the streets. Literal rioting.

i think both movies are pretty darn average but had a chance of winning because the oscars are mostly not to do with anfilms quality but it's subject matter.

i watched moonlight last night in fact and out of all of the nominees I've seen ( most of them) it's the one I really struggled to finish. There was absolutely nothing special about it at all , its the sort of movie I feel I've seen a million times. Its really only the la la land backlash that helped it win I feel. 

Except it's NOT a movie seen all the time; you're also not a black male teenager/young man growing up trying to figure out your sexuality. So, to repeat, though I know you won't listen especially with THIS:

7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Part of me wants to believe this wasn't an accident , that the organisers wanted to give it to La la land, and were going to, but the #oscarssowhite campaign got so loud they were forced to change.

what if this was a cry for help! :)

garbage comment - it's NOT a movie seen all the time and that's exactly why it means so much to so many people. i'm soooo glad it won. 

like I can't believe people are making comments like that; [barf emoticon]

43 minutes ago, Ormond said:

When Hollywood, of all parts of our culture, can give lessons in humility to Washington, that really points out one of the main problems with the 45th POTUS much better than overtly political statements could.

They can give someone a lesson in humility? Seriously? Last night, the most awarded movie was the movie about them. Awarding La La Land is like Trump giving himself a medal of honor. It is hypocritical of them to be doing so, while they can't escape awarding something so close to home. 

Now, can we place the bets on how many years will pass without POC being nominated in acting categories? Because this is becoming MO for the Academy. They go the extra mile in showing diversity (ahem, ahem, 2013) and then for the next two, three years, we are in peace. Then, it will start again... The vicious circle... And we still haven't heard Whoopi Goldberg saying that problem doesn't start when the golden statues are being given.

9 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Why not? It is actual question/concern. For two years, no POC has been nominated and suddenly we have 2 clear winners, a movie that won the Oscar in Best Picture category and another acting category (Lead Male) being close. There is nothing Hollywood likes than talking to people how diverse Hollywood is. It doesn't speak about Moonlight, Ali or Davis being unworthy winners, it speaks about the culture in which we are served "diversity" and we are expected to believe that it's all "rainbows and unicorns" in Hollywood? I am sorry, but I don't think so.

17 minutes ago, Risto said:

Why not? It is actual question/concern. For two years, no POC has been nominated and suddenly we have 2 clear winners, a movie that won the Oscar in Best Picture category and another acting category (Lead Male) being close. There is nothing Hollywood likes than talking to people how diverse Hollywood is. It doesn't speak about Moonlight, Ali or Davis being unworthy winners, it speaks about the culture in which we are served "diversity" and we are expected to believe that it's all "rainbows and unicorns" in Hollywood? I am sorry, but I don't think so.

If Moonlight wasn't the sort of movie to be in place to win Oscars in any other year you might have a point.

Instead what I see is people (maybe not you) trying to dismiss it as a diversity win when it's pretty in line critically and narratively with what Hollywood rewards. 

Awarding La La Land is like Trump giving himself a medal of honor. 

Except not, cause the "La La Land is Hollywood jerking itself off" is an overstated and lazy critique.

30 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Except it's NOT a movie seen all the time; you're also not a black male teenager/young man growing up trying to figure out your sexuality. So, to repeat, though I know you won't listen especially with THIS:

garbage comment - it's NOT a movie seen all the time and that's exactly why it means so much to so many people. i'm soooo glad it won. 

Sorry, but since when was the Oscars function to give underseen movies the ability to get to wider audiences? I thought it was called best picture? 

There are plenty of movies out there about sexuality, many of which I would consider superior. There are many movies out there dealing with growing up in impoverished backgrounds, many of which I would consider superior. If people don't watch them then that isn't really the Oscars problem is it.

My point is that Moonlight is not exceptional in any way. Why should its subject matter be relevant when considering how good a movie it is. Yes it deals with an interesting subject, but there was nothing about it which was particularly interesting or brilliant outside of that. It had a serviceable script, decent acting but hardly eyecatching, it had nothing stand out in terms of cinematography or sound.. it wasn't directed in a way that any other director would have done. It was just a standard movie about a worthy subject. Like many Oscar bait movies. 

Best leading roles going to Casey Affleck and Emma Stone is an absolute joke (should have been Denzel and Natalie Portman IMO), but other than that I thought all the picks were pretty good. Very happy Moonlight won.

I thought the clusterfuck at the end was pretty funny TBH. Glad Jordan Horowitz handled it so well. 

52 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I can't believe Emma Stone was up for anything.  She's such a mediocre actress and seems to have such a hostility towards WOC seeing as she deliberately chooses roles that should go to one of them.  

When did Emma Stone do that?

57 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really liked Arrival.

Arrival was great, but like District 9 was a token sci-fi inclusion in the nominees list without a real chance at a win.

I thought La La Land was too derivative of superior movies that the director alludes to, namely The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Splendor in the Grass.(wait, there's the Warren Beatty connection)

11 minutes ago, Castel said:

If Moonlight wasn't the sort of movie to be in place to win Oscars in any other year you might have a point.

Instead what I see is people (maybe not you) trying to dismiss it as a diversity win when it's pretty in line critically and narratively with what Hollywood rewards. 

Well, TBH, I don't find any of the movies of this year Oscar-worthy. Just to think that "Moonlight" or "La La Land" are considered worthy of winning and last year, "Carol" wasn't even nominated shows us a deep fault in the system. 

And, I would agree that Moonlight is a good movie, baity enough for the Oscar voters. I would have voted for "Arrival" but nonetheless, it is not unworthy winner.

That said, and I am really not dismissing it, one has to question Academy. Two years in row, we have 0/20 for POB actors, and last night we got 2 (and we could have easily went with 3 or 4). Were POB actors doing nothing those 2 years, or was it something else? 

Simply, when Hollywood wants to make a point, they make a point. And they are rarely subtle about it. It is not a diversity win, but we can't so easily dismiss the possibility that at least some members were inclined to present themselves and Academy in the best possible light.

15 minutes ago, Castel said:

Except not, cause the "La La Land is Hollywood jerking itself off" is an overstated and lazy critique.

It is not lazy... It is just how Hollywood operates... Remember the "Birdman". These movies have a long history with Academy.

I can't be assed about the Academy Awards,  haven't paid them any mind since the pile of trash that was Gladiator won beat picture. However, this snafu yesterday illustrates something pretty clearly. Most Hollywood stars are dumb as fuck. How hard would it have been for either W. B. or F. D. to announce that they had the wrong award card in hand? Without a script to tell them what to do,  and a director to tell them how to do it,  they both putzed it up big time. 

As for claiming Moonlight won due to PCs reasons, please, stop. It's an ugly look to wear. 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

What roles has Emma Stine gone after that should have gone to WOC? Aside from LaLa Land (which i will come to in a moment) i cant think of any, but i may be forgetting some. Was there one or more you had in mind? 

As for LaLa Land, its unfair to characterise Stone as shoeing hostility to WOC because she got the lead. From bits that have come out in the news it sounds like this was never likely to have a black lead - the problem is with the casting, not the actors/actresses that audition. 

As for whether she deserved the Oscar, well i havent seen many of the films so i cant judge fairly. But I would have given the award to Portman over Stone, based on the films i did manage to see

1 minute ago, Relic said:

I can't be assed about the Academy Awards,  haven't paid them any mind since the pipe of trash that was Gladiator won beat picture. However, this snafu yesterday illustrates something pretty clearly. Most Hollywood stars are dumb as fuck. How hard would it have been for either W. B. or F. D. to announce that they had the wrong award card in hand? Without a script to tell them what to do,  and a director to tell them how to do it,  they both putzed it up big time. 

As for claiming Moonlight won due to PCs reasons, please, stop. It's an ugly look to wear. 

Yeah, I did wonder why Beatty didn't just say he had the envelope for "Best Actress" not for "Best Picture" get the right envelope and move on.

11 minutes ago, Relic said:

Why is it difficult to believe that it would happen? I would have thought after all the controversy and #Oscarsowhite stuff there was no way there would not be a reaction. I honestly don't care about them doing it, its up to them. But to shut down anyone who suggests it might be happening is just as ugly. 

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Why is it difficult to believe that it would happen? I would have thought after all the controversy and #Oscarsowhite stuff there was no way there would not be a reaction. I honestly don't care about them doing it, its up to them. But to shut down anyone who suggests it might be happening is just as ugly. 

What does "shut down" mean to you? That your obnoxious opinion should be accepted and celebrated instead of receiving the disdain that many feel it deserves? 

You acknowledge that your comment is just as ugly as the backlash - maybe reconsider your ugly opinion before sharing? Or, if you do choose to share, own it.

12 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I understand both sides... I mean, @Relic has the point. It is not fair to people who have worked very hard to get there. And knowing how difficult it can be, it is a bit tacky to destroy the pinnacle of one's career with this kind of talk.

On the other side, discussion about Hollywood presenting itself as an open, diverse place while at the same time acting differently throughout the year, is, IMHO, valid.

25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yeah, I did wonder why Beatty didn't just say he had the envelope for "Best Actress" not for "Best Picture" get the right envelope and move on.

Was it indeed a Best Actress envelope? It seems that Emma Stone said on press conference that she was holding her envelope all night. It seems that she implied that what said on the other envelope wasn't her name. 

1 minute ago, Risto said:

On the other side, discussion about Hollywood presenting itself as an open, diverse place while at the same time acting differently throughout the year, is, IMHO, valid.

Agree with this. There is plenty of room for reasonable criticism.

15 minutes ago, Week said:

What does "shut down" mean to you? That your obnoxious opinion should be accepted and celebrated instead of receiving the disdain that many feel it deserves? 

You acknowledge that your comment is just as ugly as the backlash - maybe reconsider your ugly opinion before sharing? Or, if you do choose to share, own it.

I'm sorry but what about what I said was so offensive to you? 

That moonlight might actually not be anything more than a serviceable movie?

that terrified of controversy hollywood might give out awards based not on quality but to look good?

That instead of trying to respond to what I said and tell me why I am wrong you instead tried to shut it down with dismissal, just shows what I'm talking about. At least it was better than a vomit emoticon 

13 minutes ago, Risto said:

I understand both sides... I mean, @Relic has the point. It is not fair to people who have worked very hard to get there. And knowing how difficult it can be, it is a bit tacky to destroy the pinnacle of one's career with this kind of talk.

Was it indeed a Best Actress envelope? It seems that Emma Stone said on press conference that she was holding her envelope all night. It seems that she implied that what said on the other envelope wasn't her name. 

I agree it is hard on those who win, but the criticism is aimed at Hollywood. If more movies were inclusive then we shouldn't be having this issue every year. 

17 minutes ago, Risto said:

There was a duplicate Best Actress envelope apparently. Pricewaterhouse screwed up. 

Archived