Risto

Academy Awards 2017 - Oscar Night: In the Pale Moonlight

360 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I haven't seen Fences so can't say personally whether I thought it was category manipulation (can't call it fraud really). But IMO as an actor Viola Davis is better than Portman and Stone (though they are quality actors in their own right). Never seen or heard of Isabelle Huppert, so can't comment there.

I know La La Land had a lot of buzz but I would have been surprised to see Stone win for it. 

Michael J Fox getting out of the Delorean was pretty fucking cool. 

1 minute ago, Castel said:

I know La La Land had a lot of buzz but I would have been surprised to see Stone win for it. 

Well, she is ingenue, she won all the precursors and the narrative of the other nominees is not tipping the scale. I would like Huppert to win, but I doubt it

Every live action movie has make-up and hair styling. So it seems rather on the nose to be only nominating 3 movies.

Not sure I would say there is anything particularly outstanding about Star trek or SS make up, other than that there was a lot of it on some people.

I've no idea how to judge hair styling so I'll leave that alone.

Oh, congrats to The White Helmets!

Such a shame those fuckers at the border refused entry to one of the White Helmets, their leader, from entering the US to attend the Oscars.

Eta: Apparently Damascus blocked the trip, cancelling his passport.

Edited by Fragile Bird

I'm at the age that I should be moving away from sophomoric comments, but Jesus Christ, Brie Larson is hot.  

I thought Jimmy's opening segment was very good.  Pretty funny and hit the right notes on making it somewhat political but being conciliatory too.  

I just learned that Suicide Squad succeeded where no Marvel movie did. 

You got to enjoy Academy's sense of humor.

14 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, she is ingenue, she won all the precursors and the narrative of the other nominees is not tipping the scale. I would like Huppert to win, but I doubt it

I thought it was gonna go to Portman really and LLL would get Best Picture and Director.

Edited by Castel

Just now, Castel said:

I thought it was gonna go to Portman really.

Well, Portman is already a winner and she is not as clear winner for it to be above the questioning who should have it (like Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine"), so that is where Emma Stone fits.

OK, that Miles Teller tweet was genuinely genius. 

Damn... The only reason for inclusion of "Mean Tweets" should have been to have Meryl read us the Pumpkinhead's tweet.

56 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I really have to see Zootopia...

I think this is possibly the best Disney movie in years, though I enjoyed the he'll out of Moana too, particularly with my daughter.

I'm watching, but really mostly following commentary on Twitter. I expect Kimmel to get a mid level grade right now, though I have enjoyed him tonight...

Did they miss Alan Rickman in the memoriam? 

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Did they miss Alan Rickman in the memoriam? 

He was in last year's. 

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

He was in last year's. 

Yeah, just looked up when he died. Didn't realize it's been that long ago. 

Ok, are we now in record territory with black winners, right?

I'm disappointed "Arrival" hasn't gotten more love.  I was really hoping for "Adapted Screenplay".

Halle Berry just butchered the shit out of the pronunciation of "Chazelle."  I think that's kind of bad.