Academy Awards 2017 - Oscar Night: In the Pale Moonlight

Mladen

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Most Hollywood stars are dumb as fuck because two people (as has been pointed out, older people, which may or may not have made a difference) got caught off-balance, in essentially a time-pressure situation and watched by the world, by a mistake they didn't make that they couldn't have seriously been expected to predict? Come on man.

People just like shitting on celebrities. It's "in", if a bit pedestrian at this point.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm sorry but what about what I said was so offensive to you? 

That moonlight might actually not be anything more than a serviceable movie?

that terrified of controversy hollywood might give out awards based not on quality but to look good?

That instead of trying to respond to what I said and tell me why I am wrong you instead tried to shut it down with dismissal, just shows what I'm talking about. At least it was better than a vomit emoticon 

A) Hollywood terrified of controversy? Like Hollywood, Hollywood?

B ) And supposing they were, what would be controversial about LLL winning? Without the snafu, the only 'controversy' is another example of the 'if you want an Oscar, make a movie that lets Hollywood celebrate itself' deal. Otherwise, I mean if white people getting an Oscar is so controversial to modify behaviour, how do you explain, well, the Oscars?

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

Actually meant to say "reinforces" and not "illustrates". And yes, Hollywood A listers are dumber than a bucket of bricks, with a few exceptions.

Proof of this? I've never met any, but I strongly suspect (and it seems like it from the evidence of interviews etcs) that just like any walk of life Hollywood A-listers, and indeed Hollywood stars in general, vary in intelligence from very bright to very dumb via everything in between, and most of them are just normal.

@Dr. Pepper

What actually is it about La La Land that makes you say that Stone's role should have gone to a WoC? Genuinely asking.

8 minutes ago, Relic said:

Actually meant to say "reinforces" and not "illustrates". And yes, Hollywood A listers are dumber than a bucket of bricks, with a few exceptions.

Eh, you're in a tough fucking spot, tbh. I think a lot of people would err on the side of assuming they themselves are misunderstanding rather than potentially fucking up the night, and that if there's an error it's up to others to correct. Not really your job. I get that, in retrospect it seems like he could have gone the other way, but I think that's a much easier call with hindsight from a couch.

Moreover, look at what he actually did, ie get a second opinion. That's not bad all things considered.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

@Dr. Pepper

What actually is it about La La Land that makes you say that Stone's role should have gone to a WoC? Genuinely asking.

Here's a good article about the problems with La La Land.  I think the entire premise of the film is problematic.  Keep in mind I have no seem the film, I will not see the film.  I am way more intentional about what I choose to watch these days so I look for reviews from trusted sources before deciding to spend my money on something.  I will do my best to not support white washing or art that celebrates white supremacy.  

I'm picking on Stone specifically because (1) she won the award and (2) her horrible decision to take that part in Aloha now proves to me to not have been an ignorant mistake.  

Just now, James Arryn said:

Moreover, look at what he actually did, ie get a second opinion. That's not bad all things considered.

And then Faye just blurted out La La Land, without even a hint of pause. Anyway, sure, its easier to cast judgement when you aren't up on that stage, but jesus, the envelope has the category name on the front. Maybe look at it if you are unsure? 

As for vapid Hollywood stars, this is a good place to start - http://www.ranker.com/list/celebrity-anti-vaxxers/celebrity-lists You can add DeNiro to this list, as well.

I'm not going to spend any more time chasing down stupid things celebrities say and do since it's pretty well documented. Actors usually aren't famous because they are intelligent and articulate, they often become famous because of how they look, and how well they take direction. A few transcend physical appearance with intense emotional portrayals of characters, but let's face it, Hollywood is more about sparkling teeth and hair gel than it is about deep thoughts.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Casey Affleck, obviously.  But there's a long list of sexual predators being rewarded in the entertainment industry.  Roman Polanski might be the most horrifying example.  

It's not obvious at all, unless you believe that accusations are the same as guilt.  Polanski is obviously guilty, but Affleck, not so much.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's not obvious at all, unless you believe that accusations are the same as guilt.  Polanski is obviously guilty, but Affleck, not so much.

I absolutely give my support to accusers.  I don't celebrate the accused.  Won't apologize for that unless accusations are proven false, which happens to be incredibly rare.  

16 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Here's a good article about the problems with La La Land.  I think the entire premise of the film is problematic.  Keep in mind I have no seem the film, I will not see the film.  I am way more intentional about what I choose to watch these days so I look for reviews from trusted sources before deciding to spend my money on something.  I will do my best to not support white washing or art that celebrates white supremacy.  

I'm picking on Stone specifically because (1) she won the award and (2) her horrible decision to take that part in Aloha now proves to me to not have been an ignorant mistake.  

The article seems like it makes some pretty solid points, but none of it (and the article specifically says this) points to any deliberate hostility on part of either lead or the director. It's accused of the oblivious, thoughtless kind of racism and social oppression, which needs to be fought just as much as the other kind but shouldn't be lumped in and fought the same way because that helps no-one.

As for vapid Hollywood stars, this is a good place to start - http://www.ranker.com/list/celebrity-anti-vaxxers/celebrity-lists You can add DeNiro to this list, as well.

I didn't say no Hollywood stars are dumb or vapid, I just don't think all of them are. Or most of them. You posting a list of 16 people several of whom aren't even actors doesn't really prove your argument any more than the original post did.

It's  true, Hollywood selects for looks ahead of smarts. But since there is no correlation, negative or otherwise, between looks and intelligence I don't see any reason to believe that this selection won't scoop up clever people along with dumb ones.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Casey Affleck, obviously.  But there's a long list of sexual predators being rewarded in the entertainment industry.  Roman Polanski might be the most horrifying example.  

I've never heard him called a sexual predator.  I'm well aware of what a shitheel Roman Polanski is but this is the first I've heard of anything regarding Casey Affleck.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I've never heard him called a sexual predator.  I'm well aware of what a shitheel Roman Polanski is but this is the first I've heard of anything regarding Casey Affleck.

http://time.com/4645846/what-to-know-about-the-casey-affleck-oscar-controversy/

14 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Affleck might well be a nasty individual but we luckily live in a world where you are innocent until proven guilty. Let's hope we don't end up in some nightmare where that stops being true 

Meanwhile we live in a nightmare world where convicting sexual predators is heartbreakingly difficult and sometimes even impossible.  Let's hope we actually fix that someday, mkay.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

http://jezebel.com/fucking-creep-wins-oscar-1792773035

4 hours ago, Risto said:

They can give someone a lesson in humility? Seriously? Last night, the most awarded movie was the movie about them. Awarding La La Land is like Trump giving himself a medal of honor. It is hypocritical of them to be doing so, while they can't escape awarding something so close to home. 

Oh, come on. The whole point of my comment was that when EVEN Hollywood can give Trump lessons in humility that shows how narcissistic he is. It certainly doesn't mean Hollywood itself is high on that characteristic. 

Just now, polishgenius said:

I didn't say no Hollywood stars are dumb or vapid, I just don't think all of them are. 

Neither do I. Just a majority. But whatever man, wasting time debating this would make both of us dumber. You are totally allowed to worship hollywood as you  see fit. :P

16 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Meanwhile we live in a nightmare world where convicting sexual predators is heartbreakingly difficult and sometimes even impossible.  Let's hope we actually fix that someday, mkay.

http://jezebel.com/fucking-creep-wins-oscar-1792773035

Not sure that's true but even if it was you don't answer it by playing judge jury and executioner yourself 

Archived