R.I.P. the great Bill Paxton

DunderMifflin

Also I saw a tweet claiming he's the only actor to be killed by The Terminator, Alien, and Predator which is pretty cool.

He was, in The TerminatorAliens and Predator 2 respectively.

A lot of people cite Lance Henriksen, in The TerminatorAliens and Alien vs. Predator, but Henriksen wasn't actually killed in Aliens. His character got torn in half by the Alien Queen but survived, even showing up again in Alien 3.

James Cameron movies will never be the same again.

RIP Bill Paxton :( 

As a not so important aside, "Paxton or Pullman" is a popular game/meme/joke

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/paxton-or-pullman/

ETA:

Just took the test and got 100%. I know my Paxton (and Pullman) movies and I will really miss him. :( 

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Think it was edge of tomorrow where I changed my opinion on him. I've always had him down as a joke actor, he was frankly awful in Aliens and most of his career. But he was also a lot of fun, and very memorable. Its a sad shock

He was great in Aliens; one of the most fun, quotable characters. He was also fantastic in Near Dark as the demented, laughing, murderous vampire. Def not a joke actor during that period at all.

44 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

He was great in Aliens; one of the most fun, quotable characters. He was also fantastic in Near Dark as the demented, laughing, murderous vampire. Def not a joke actor during that period at all.

Well we'll have to disagree then. Near dark is a good movie so Im ok with that and he wa fun in Wierd science. But he was horrible in aliens, just a loud irritant, although that might just be the way he was written. Also I saw terminator last night and he's in that, that same loud character that is all show. I had a real hatred of him in the 80s as Aliens was my favourite movie and he kinda spoils every scene he's in.

27 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Well we will have to disagree then; just think it's a bit classless to start throwing around criticisms about an actor in a thread about their recent death. 

I know the standard response is to talk about how amazing an actor is after they died.. but what if its not true. 

For the record my initial post was about how I came to enjoy Paxton and his later performances. I just happen to think he wasn't that great in the 80s.

30 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I know the standard response is to talk about how amazing an actor is after they died.. but what if its not true. 

For the record my initial post was about how I came to enjoy Paxton and his later performances. I just happen to think he wasn't that great in the 80s.

I'm not a huge fan of his either, and one of the few things Hitchens got right was that death shouldn't change truth...but this isn't politics or w/e. There's nothing terribly important in our opinions about his acting, at least in my opinion not important enough to transcend class in the immediate wake of his death. Silence is an option.

You can unshackle yourself after a while and the world will largely have spun the same as otherwise. 

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

yes, come on, even when I was 12 years old Paxton stood out as a sort of screaming embarassment of a character. 'game over man!' is one of the more cringe worthy bits of delivery. 

You're in the definite minority.  Aliens fans LOVE Hudson and that is perhaps the most quotable line from the film. 

Paxton was Emmy and Golden Globe nominated and deservedly so. 

I'll go with other professional actors opinions of him who had to vote him into those noms versus  "message board guy. " 

A quick google search of "Hudson Aliens" shows dozens of Hudson tribute videos on YouTube and articles talking about how funny, cool, cowardly, and badass he is all at once.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=sJa0WIm5FOOO0wLB4qvQCA&q=hudson+aliens&oq=hudson+&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.1.0i131k1l2j0i46k1j46l2.1682.9872.0.10856.13.11.1.6.6.0.189.1700.0j11.11.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.13.1032.3..0j41j0i10k1.xEK7JHiOTig#scso=uid_WLSWuwAOu9AKVK2m7wtGyw_0:-5,uid_WLSWuwAOu9AKVK2m7wtGyw_0:-4,uid_WLSWuwAOu9AKVK2m7wtGyw_0:0,uid_WLSWuwAOu9AKVK2m7wtGyw_5:-28,uid_WLSWuwAOu9AKVK2m7wtGyw_5:-3,uid_WLSWuwAOu9AKVK2m7wtGyw_5:0

Archived