R.I.P. the great Bill Paxton

DunderMifflin

Came here specifically to find a thread on this - shit shook me to my core. 

Obviously Hudson was iconic, but one of his more recent roles that really stood out to me as Nightcrawler. I could listen to middle aged Bill Paxton repeatedly say "brah" all day. A classic example of the sort of role where he plays a small character who becomes almost more memorable than the main character ala Hudson. 

Paxton's character deeply believed in God and the Confederacy, but saw a deserter like Costner's character prosper.  You felt for how fucked over he must have felt, and the bitterness and wrath he wanted to unleash on the hated Hatfields...especially after Costner executed his kids!  I thought Paxton's  character worked well because he's so likable, in the hands of another actor Randall McCoy would have been a one-note bitter revenge machine.

While the whole cast was great, Tom Berenger and the blonde guy from Narcos (he plays a Hatfield with one white eye glazed over) are particularly  good in it too.  

2 hours ago, generalzod said:

Paxton's character deeply believed in God and the Confederacy, but saw a deserter like Costner's character prosper.  You felt for how fucked over he must have felt, and the bitterness and wrath he wanted to unleash on the hated Hatfields...especially after Costner executed his kids!  I thought Paxton's  character worked well because he's so likable, in the hands of another actor Randall McCoy would have been a one-note bitter revenge machine.

While the whole cast was great, Tom Berenger and the blonde guy from Narcos (he plays a Hatfield with one white eye glazed over) are particularly  good in it too.  

Oh, agreed.  Anse Hatfield deserted and escaped being imprisoned like McCoy.  That had to hurt very deeply.  And it's important to remember that the three executed McCoy boys did murder Ellison Hatfield.  The vigilante justice wasn't cool, though.  That's the point of that whole story of this historic feud - where and how does it ever end?

Boyd Holbrook played Cap Hatfield, with the eye injury, and was also in Narcos.    

On 27.2.2017. at 3:13 PM, Fez said:

Damn. This really sucks. He was so great at playing iconic sniveling worms. Also, 61 is way too young; that's younger than both my parents. 

So many people that age die of heart related problems. :( I feel like there have been so many recently. My cousin died in January in her sleep, and she was also 61 (it was really unexpected, she was just feeling bad for a couple of days). Before that, Carrie Fisher in December, also after a heart surgery.

Everyone who knew Paxton is saying he was a really great guy. No wonder he played villains so well. It's always the nicest people who are the best at playing villains and total jerks.

On 28.2.2017. at 8:07 AM, generalzod said:

Enjoyed the Hell out of him in Hatfields & McCoys as bitter, broken Randall McCoy whose sons were executed by Costner.

I know he's had so many great roles in films, and have seen many of them, but it's some of his recent TV roles I find most memorable. His Randall McCoy was great, and (in a completely different role) he was amazing as Garrett from Agents of SHIELD. 

On 26.2.2017. at 5:22 PM, DunderMifflin said:

Dead at 61 due complications from surgery.

An extraordinary body of work left by this guy.  Two that come to mind are the very underrated movies Frailty and A Simple Plan. Great performances in great movies, but his shining moment in my eyes was as Chet the douchey brother in Weird Science.

Also I saw a tweet claiming he's the only actor to be killed by The Terminator, Alien, and Predator which is pretty cool.

And Deathlok...

Archived