Which real religion or god does Rh'llor represent?

Quellon

Zarathustra was a prophet, not a god.

The religion of R'hllor is like Zoroastrianism in that it is a dualistic religion, in which R'hllor (Mazda)  battles eternally against the Great Other (Ahriman).

However, human sacrifice for magical purposes has never been part of Zoroastrianism.

I had a interesting discussion with another member a while back about Rh'llor and its possible inspirations. Zoroastrianism was one of the candidates not just because of  its clear monotheistic dualism. Light/Darkness etc. etc. etc.

but I also think that Rh'llor shares some similarities with the God presented in parts of  the Old Testament/the Thora. This immense, powerful and unknowable thing which people are supposed to obey and serve not out of love, but because it is the right thing to do and there will be consequences if they don't.

Zarathustra would not be R'hllor however. Rh'llor would be the rough equivalent of Ahura Mazda, the God of Zoroastrianism. Zarathustra would be the equivalent of the first Red Priest and the "Great Other" would be the rough equivalent of Ahirman.

That being said I don't think it's supposed to be a direct representation of a real world religion, but merely takes inspiration from them.

13 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I had a interesting discussion with another member a while back about Rh'llor and its possible inspirations. Zoroastrianism was one of the candidates not just because of  its clear monotheistic dualism. Light/Darkness etc. etc. etc.

Zarathustra would not be R'hllor however. Rh'llor would be the rough equivalent of Ahura Mazda, the God of Zoroastrianism. Zarathustra would be the equivalent of the first Red Priest and the "Great Other" would be the rough equivalent of Ahirman.

That being said I don't think it's supposed to be a direct representation of a real world religion, but merely takes inspiration from them.

Exactly this.

Archived