If only Stannis and the High Sparrow were of the same faith

Canon Claude

These two are incredibly alike. Both are hard men with ruthlessly strict codes that they will never break from even if it means their demise. They're also concerned with justice to any and all (Stannis saving the Nights Watch, High Sparrow walking the countryside looking after the poor), and they have no interest in monetary possessions (Stannis never dresses gaudily and the High Sparrow gives up all the traditional wealth of his position).

People have suggested that the High Sparrow is secretly Howland Reed, but apart from physical appearance and their difference in faith, I would sooner believe that Stannis was the High Sparrow than Reed.

53 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Well I can see your point, but at the same time if Stannis hadn't abandoned the Faith of the Seven, he might not have sailed for the Wall and been the King Who Cared.

Why not? Stannis didn't go for religious reasons. Certainly not for the Lord of Light. In fact, quite the contrary. He went because his #1 King's man reminded him of his kingly duties. Religion had little to do with that decision.

I agree about the similarities. If Stannis worshipped the Seven, he would probably approve of a man like the High Sparrow in charge of the Faith. Say what you will about the High Sparrow, he doesn't seem in danger of moral corruption in the same way as a man like Janos Slynt or Littlefinger would be.

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

Why not? Stannis didn't go for religious reasons. Certainly not for the Lord of Light. In fact, quite the contrary. He went because his #1 King's man reminded him of his kingly duties. Religion had little to do with that decision.

He's ignored Davos' counsel before. If Melisandre hadn't backed Davos up, he might not have listened. It's Mel's faith that tipped the balance. If he was a firm follower of the Seven, he might well have done the opposite of what the red demon's priestess said he should.

In fact it was Mel and her faith that have been telling Stannis he is AAR and destined to save the world. Without that would he think he had a chance of helping up north?

If you remove Renly's obstructionism to his claim, it's possible Stannis might not have been as influenced by Melisandre to fully convert. He needed some sort of wild card to support his claim, and her faith and magic was it. Before that he was at least nominally loyal to the Seven.

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

I agree about the similarities. If Stannis worshipped the Seven, he would probably approve of a man like the High Sparrow in charge of the Faith. Say what you will about the High Sparrow, he doesn't seem in danger of moral corruption in the same way as a man like Janos Slynt or Littlefinger would be.

An argument could be made that a moral absolutist with no real checks on their power could become so wrapped up in their zealotry that it becomes more dangerous than casual corruption.

23 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

If you remove Renly's obstructionism to his claim, it's possible Stannis might not have been as influenced by Melisandre to fully convert. He needed some sort of wild card to support his claim, and her faith and magic was it. Before that he was at least nominally loyal to the Seven.

I can get behind this. We don't really have a clear timeline on when Mel arrived at Dragonstone or gained her influence, so it's hard to measure.

3 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

I can get behind this. We don't really have a clear timeline on when Mel arrived at Dragonstone or gained her influence, so it's hard to measure.

We know that Mel was on Dragonstone and had converted his wife sometime years before AGoT, but Stannis never fully converted until the red comet came and the kingdom has already splintered into the rivaling claims. Having a red priest in your court isn't unheard of Thoros of Myr was a common sight in Robert's court.

3 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

We know that Mel was on Dragonstone and had converted his wife sometime years before AGoT, but Stannis never fully converted until the red comet came and the kingdom has already splintered into the rivaling claims. Having a red priest in your court isn't unheard of Thoros of Myr was a common sight in Robert's court.

Where does the "years" part come in? Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't recall any solid references to lengths of time being established.

4 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Where does the "years" part come in? Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't recall any solid references to lengths of time being established.

In a Clash of Kings, during the small council meeting where they read Stannis' letter proclaiming himself king, it was said that Varys had reported that Selyse took up with a red priest "years ago" when they were searching for a propaganda attack on Stannis. Pretty sure Martin also stated in interviews Mel had been on Dragonstone for a long time since she's convinced it's the place of salt and smoke. She was always there, it wasn't until the war broke out that Stannis converted though.

4 hours ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

An argument could be made that a moral absolutist with no real checks on their power could become so wrapped up in their zealotry that it becomes more dangerous than casual corruption.

Haha that argument could definetly be made, but never by Stannis

Archived