I lost my cat....inside the apartment

l2 0 5 5

That's great!  Next time you hear him in the kitchen you could try quietly getting close enough so he could at least see you and then call his name, maybe let him look at you for a couple of minutes and then walk away.  

I also read somewhere, no idea where, that humans should blink their eyes slowly a couple of times, it's supposed to be non threatening, so you could blink at him then leave slowly, that will help him realize you are not a threat and not going to do anything to him.  

You could also try, depending on how long it all goes on, moving the food ever so slightly closer to the living room every day.  

This is how I lured one of my ferals into the house, but he was letting me pet him already, but I moved the food closer to the door, then on the basement steps and then finally into the basement and I would then stand several feet away from the dish so he would know he could escape, and it worked.

3 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

As this situation seems to develop in the right direction, and this is a board devoted to literature, let me recommend the following recent detective novel:

Tana French, Broken Harbour, 2012, Hatchette Books.

Are there missing cats involved? Your link doesn't say a word about that...

57 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Are there missing cats involved? Your link doesn't say a word about that...

I won’t spoil it. It’s an excellent book anyway (as are all of French’s), so the recommendation stands, cat or no cat.

So Renly, the second of his name has been located. I thought he was coming out and meowing all along but he was stuck underneath the dishwasher meowing the whole time. We located him last night and I pulled off the bottom panel of the dishwasher. He was eating wet food right off the spoon. Poor little guy was so hungry... Needless to say he has eaten plenty of food since this time last night. The food bowl and water were placed outside the dishwasher and every time I fill the food up it is all gone within an hour. 

He has plenty of room to crawl out from the dishwasher but has yet to do so when myself or fiance are in the kitchen. I can see him under there and was even able to stretch my arm in and pet him. He stayed in place. He seems okay, but was clearly very hungry. I feel terrible, but he is better now. We laid a bunch of treats in a line towards his bed and he ate the whole trail.... lol.

So yeah, he can now crawl out after being stuck for a week and has eaten like a King at Bitterbridge. I'm guessing it may be a couple days till he comes out with us there. I thought we were at this stage last week when I heard him meowing but he was doing it form underneath the dishwasher the whole time. I was wondering why he was coming out at night and day when at work and not eating food. Thing is, he wasn't because he was behind the dishwasher.

Crises averted....

On 3/4/2017 at 7:27 PM, larrytheimp said:

Sounds like a Schroedinger's recommendation if I've ever heard one.

:lol:

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

So Renly, the second of his name has been located. I thought he was coming out and meowing all along but he was stuck underneath the dishwasher meowing the whole time. We located him last night and I pulled off the bottom panel of the dishwasher. He was eating wet food right off the spoon. Poor little guy was so hungry... Needless to say he has eaten plenty of food since this time last night. The food bowl and water were placed outside the dishwasher and every time I fill the food up it is all gone within an hour. 

He has plenty of room to crawl out from the dishwasher but has yet to do so when myself or fiance are in the kitchen. I can see him under there and was even able to stretch my arm in and pet him. He stayed in place. He seems okay, but was clearly very hungry. I feel terrible, but he is better now. We laid a bunch of treats in a line towards his bed and he ate the whole trail.... lol.

So yeah, he can now crawl out after being stuck for a week and has eaten like a King at Bitterbridge. I'm guessing it may be a couple days till he comes out with us there. I thought we were at this stage last week when I heard him meowing but he was doing it form underneath the dishwasher the whole time. I was wondering why he was coming out at night and day when at work and not eating food. Thing is, he wasn't because he was behind the dishwasher.

Crises averted....

oh man, glad he's been found and ok

I would be blocking that space off immediately (as well as the hole in the wall and any other potential places where he might get stuck). You can make him another hidey-hole, but it seems pretty clear that that is not a safe place for him to be. You said yourself that the reason this happened in the first place is because you let him out without properly kitty-proofing your apartment - so you need to do that now.

3 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

I would be blocking that space off immediately (as well as the hole in the wall and any other potential places where he might get stuck). You can make him another hidey-hole, but it seems pretty clear that that is not a safe place for him to be. You said yourself that the reason this happened in the first place is because you let him out without properly kitty-proofing your apartment - so you need to do that now.

I agree.  I would certainly close the hole in the wall that you know he went in at least once.  And I would seriously consider cat proofing the rest of your apartment to prevent the cat getting under anything that he might get stuck in....there are still plenty of safe places a cat can hide....under beds, etc.  And then, if he hasn't come out from under the dishwasher, I would take him out and block that spot up as well....if he lets you pet him he's not that wild, and he was obviously calling for help to get out from there but you guys didn't realize it. 

I've been lurking in this thread nervously watching for updates. Glad you found him and he is on the mend!

Don't feel bad - the good thing is you got him sorted in time, he'll bounce back. :)

Oh jeez, poor little guy. Good to hear he's free and feasting like a king!

Agree on the kittyproofing. My only worry is that he might find another thing you never thought he could fit into when his old retreats are gone.

Archived