All Men Must Die But Randyll's Death Is Very Close

Lost Melnibonean

9 minutes ago, Makk said:

Would be interesting to see how Sam reacts if both his father and brother are killed. Hadn't really ever considered this. As for who Connington tries to recruit from the Reach, I don't think it will be Rowan. I think he will take Storms End by attacking Rowans forces and then pretending to have been hired by Stannis to relieve Storms End.

As of Arianne II, Winds, 

Spoiler

Jon Connington and Aegon, who told Jon in The Griffin Reborn that he was going to lead the attack, has already taken Storm’s End, so now we just need to find out how he did it. I expect someone will relate the tale to Arianne, and then we will see what has happened to Mathis Rowan, and whether his house now supports Aegon’s claim. I expect Mathis is backing Aegon whether he likes it or not. As to the capture of Storm’s End, yours is probably the best guess. 

9 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

In my opinion The Last Storm foreshadows Jon Connington and Arianne Martell leading an army and slaying the last "Storm", newly legitimized Edric Baratheon who will be fighting on Dany's side during Dance of the Dragons.

And the castle Storm's End kinda foreshadows the fate of poor Edric. He will be slain while trying to take back the castle he grew up in and failing. The Ususper's line will be extinguished, per Connington's wishes (Gendry will be around, but he will never become Gendry Baratheon, he will hammer out his own legacy).

It will be one of the few victories of Aegon's faction against Dany. It will contrast Aegon and Golden Company's successful landing in Stormlands to a portion of Dany's forces led by Edric landing by Storm's End and losing lots of ships due to Shipbreaker Bay's nature. And those who land will be exterminated by Connington and Arianne.

I don't know, man... What are the foreshadowing clues for that? The name Storm? 

Meanwhile, we are fixing to have us a battle right now on the site of the the Last Storm between the Hand of an Aegon come across the sea to conquer, and Randyll Tarly leading the van, a bastard if there ever was one, with his boy Dickon. 

19 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't know, man... What are the foreshadowing clues for that? The name Storm? 

Meanwhile, we are fixing to have us a battle right now on the site of the the Last Storm between the Hand of an Aegon come across the sea to conquer, and Randyll Tarly leading the van, a bastard if there ever was one, with his boy Dickon. 

I don't see BOTH Mace and Randyll marching on Aegon and leaving Margaery and the capital unprotected. Either Mace marches and Randyll stays in the capital with an army, or it is other way. My bet is on Mace marching on Storm's End because he needs to be exposed as a military fraud in this story.

The bastard of Blackhaven might reference to Rolland Storm, the Bastard of Nightsong, because I think he will join Daenerys once she lands on Dragonstone. And if Dany has Edric by her side, it is extra reason for Rolland to join. Blackhaven and Nightsong are two castles of the Marches, so there might be connection there.

But he will be crushed alongside Edric once they land in Stormlands.

Just now, Therae said:

:agree: He's one of the most breathtakingly vicious characters in the entire series (see: his treatment of Sam, his treatment of Brienne. F that guy).

Yeah, he's an arsehole, a douchebag, and I'll cheer when he's gone. :)

3 minutes ago, Therae said:

@kissedby fire I just hope it's a woman that does him in. Preferably a very generously-sized woman who ordinarily faints at the sight of blood. I bet there's at least one of those at Storm's End. :)

Poetic justice in a way, I like it! :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, LordImp said:

Why is everyone so sure that Mace will be leading the army? 

After Kevans death Mace is the most likely candidate to become the next regent. He is also Hand of the king and his daughter is to stand trial. I think it's more likely that Randyll will lead the army on behalf of Mace. 

This would have to be after Margaery's trial because Mace has said he won't move until it's done. He could send his army without leading it, but most think he'll insist on keeping them out until Marg is safe. It's almost a form of blackmail against the IT and the HS if you think about it.

I hold out hope that Mace is taking his army to join Aegon, not to crush him.

Randyll can die just as easily whether he's leading the army or not.

5 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

I believe that Aegon will lose that battle on the field and will get trapped in a protracted siege. I'll leave my explanation for another day.

Looking forward to another day. Sounds interesting.

4 hours ago, Therae said:

@kissedby fire I just hope it's a woman that does him in. Preferably a very generously-sized woman who ordinarily faints at the sight of blood. I bet there's at least one of those at Storm's End. :)

Now you've got me wanting Arya to kill Randyll. Not only a female, but a little girl. Too bad she's still in Braavos.

17 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Now you've got me wanting Arya to kill Randyll. Not only a female, but a little girl. Too bad she's still in Braavos.

I could totally support this.

Spoiler

Maybe Lord Swyft will have problems or take too long or just freak out about his safety after Raff disappears, and Tarly will have to go collect him?

It's a long shot, but a girl can hope, right? :D

1 minute ago, Therae said:

I could totally support this.

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe Lord Swyft will have problems or take too long or just freak out about his safety after Raff disappears, and Tarly will have to go collect him?

It's a long shot, but a girl can hope, right? :D

Indeed, a girl can hope. :D And anyway Arya has to come back to Westeros at some point. She's even already met Sam. She might deem it doing him a favor to take out someone who's been mean to him. And if both Randyll and Dickon were killed, the crown might absolve Sam of his vows and name him Lord Tarly.

I was thinking about the Tarly words. First in battle. Sam has lived up to those words by drawing first blood against the Others. But Randyll may fulfill them in another way, because the first in the battle are often the first to die. 

5 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I was thinking about the Tarly words. First in battle. Sam has lived up to those words by drawing first blood against the Others. But Randyll may fulfill them in another way, because the first in the battle are often the first to die. 

I might have to add this to the OP...

3 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

But Randyll may fulfill them in another way, because the first in the battle are often the first to die. 

So many ways for Lord Biggest Jerkface Ever to meet his end. But if he goes out in some manner he would consider suitably butch, there is no justice. (I really don't like this guy.)

And yes again to Arya! She had Sam's back when the bravos were bullying him!

Just now, Therae said:

So many ways for Lord Biggest Jerkface Ever to meet his end. But if he goes out in some manner he would consider suitably butch, there is no justice. (I really don't like this guy.)

And yes again to Arya! She had Sam's back when the bravos were bullying him!

I can relate, but falling in battle isn't necessarily butch. He could end up dead because his horse shied, or be taken down by a woman. Or he could be weakened by illness and an easy target because of that. Cause you KNOW Randyll is one of those guys who won't go see the maester because "It's nothing. I'm fine."

New thought. Sam knows Bran is alive. Sam could end up knowing Arya's alive. Add in Rickon and Sansa and Sam will have completed the set. He may know they're all alive long before Jon does, perhaps asked to keep all of them secret. Maybe Sam will be the one to get them back together. 

9 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I can relate, but falling in battle isn't necessarily butch. He could end up dead because his horse shied, or be taken down by a woman. Or he could be weakened by illness and an easy target because of that. Cause you KNOW Randyll is one of those guys who won't go see the maester because "It's nothing. I'm fine."

Perhaps Black Balaq's archers will gain the top of one of the hills south of Bronzegate, see Tarly's standard three hundred yards away, and Randyll and his son beneath it. Balaq could slay Dickon first, since he would know that Randyll would never leave the boy whilst warmth lingers in his body, though shafts fall like rain. Perhaps he won't, though seven arrows might pierce him. 

How old is Dickon now? Is he really old enough to be in battle at all? I don't think it's clear in the text, but I had the idea that he's in the neighborhood of ten years younger than Sam, which would make him awfully young still.

Archived