Foxy Mutant movies - general discussion of X-men movies

red snow

I was trying to find the Deadpool thread for an update on the film but that threads full. Given there is X-men: Supernova, New Mutants and Deadpool 2 on the horizon along with X-force and Gambit in development I thought it might be useful to have a general place for the Fox superhero franchises? If not then it can function as a Deadpool 2 thread.

so, regarding Deadpool 2

couldn't find a deadpool thread but guess this is apt for the Fox superheroes. Russel Crowe has been on twitter in response to fancasting him as Cable and he seems interested in the role.

Given how great he was at doing straight comedy in "the good guys" I actually think he'd be a great foil to Deapool. Plus he'd have a chance to parody his more famous roles as gruff hero. It seems like Pierce Brosnan might have the part given how he keeps cropping up with Ryan Reynolds and discussion of the film but I think Crowe would be excellent.

Stephen Moyer of True Blood fame is apparently attached to an X-men TV show currently under development. I've no idea what the show is going to be based on. At first I thought it might be following the Guthrie family (of cannonball and co fame) but then they announced Blink was going to be in it. That had me wishing they were doing an exiles show but from what we've heard I doubt that's the case.

Not sure what to think of the show - I never watched Burn Notice and Singer directing is a bit up-in-the-air as after "Apocalypse" it's clear that his X-men films aren't immune to his run of underwhelming films Superman returns and Jack the giant Slayer (I thought Valkyrie was decent).

That said I'm even more concerned about the X-men:supernova being a Simon Kinberg vanity project. He's been involved with the scripts of a lot of the Fox films X-men:last stand, Fant4stic, X-men: Apocalypse and I think those films were bad from the script up. The only screenplay he's been involved in which I thought was pretty good was DOFP and it's clear that was working off the initial outline drafted by Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn when they were still involved in making a sequel to First Class.

So while there seems to be a few things coming out from Fox I feel like it's a mixed bag. I guess they are trying a variety of things at least.

25 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Any idea what Deadpool, X-men Supernova and New Mutants will be about?

I've read that X-men:supernova will probably be about the Pheonix - so possibly another attempt at the Dark Phoenix but with a more cosmic scope. New Mutants mentioned a villain called Demon Bear that hinted at a storyline from the comic being developed.

All I know about Deadpool is that Cable will be in it so maybe time travel will factor in?

So from what I'm reading it seems both of these new X-Men films are expected in 2018?

Apparently Josh Boone said New Mutants starts filming this Spring and Kinsberg indicated May for X-Men Supernova.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

FX is playing Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut.  Is it worth watching?  Does it add much to the theatrical cut?

Add much?  Not really from what I remember - it was nice seeing her in the movie, but the overall stream of the movie didn't change with her in it.  She definitely is more than a cameo appearance

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

So from what I'm reading it seems both of these new X-Men films are expected in 2018?

Apparently Josh Boone said New Mutants starts filming this Spring and Kinsberg indicated May for X-Men Supernova.

It could be a busy year for them as Deadpool 2 should be out in 2018 too. It's a bit odd how the X-men cast is quite young if they decided to focus on the group at the end of Apocalypse making the New Mutant project seem a little redundant. Although I think I have higher hopes for the New mutant film.

The pilot for the new X-men show is heating up. Amy Acker is playing the female lead which is always a good thing. It also sounds like Polaris will be in it. Although details on whether the show is connected to the films or not is very hand wavey so far - in fairness I guess it's hard to know which continuity to stick to :P

So the next X-Men film isn't going to be called Supernova, that was it's codename, either way I think it's likely intentionally cosmic.

So speaking of the future, what can you tell me about the next X-Men movie? It’s called Supernova, is that right?

Kinberg: It’s not called Supernova. One of the things we do when we make these X-Men movies, to be totally candid, is — any of these movies, it’s on Star Wars, too — is you come up with fake names to throw people off the scent and when you’re out making the movie, the signs that show you where the locations are say Nova, or whatever the fake title is, and people figure it out, and I don’t even know why we do it anymore.

But at any rate, it’s not called Supernova. That was the code name for it. There’s yet another code name now. What I can tell you is that we’re in early stages of prep on it, and that it’s something that Hutch and I specifically have been talking about, as the producers of it and me as the writer of it, since post-production on Apocalypse, what the story would be and how would do something bold and radical and expand the universe in the same way that Logan feels bold and radical and certainly Deadpool does as well. And that’s where we are with it.

So word is you’re planning to direct that one?

Kinberg: That is the word. That’s premature. But it’s certainly something I’ve been interested in doing generally for a long time.

Well, I know the other big rumor going around about it is it’s going to be the Dark Phoenix storyline — which I’ve actually talked about with you in the past, at the X-Men: Days of Future Past junket. Can you talk about that? What are you going to do differently this time around?

Kinberg: Well, I can’t comment on what we’re doing with this next X-Men movie, but I think a way to talk about it potentially, is to talk about X-Men: The Last Stand, and then that being a Dark Phoenix movie that we didn’t get quite right. I think of maybe a few mistakes we made in that movie — and every movie has mistakes — but the main mistake we made in that movie was taking the Dark Phoenix story, which is such a vast and profound saga, and making it the subplot of the movie as opposed to the main plot of the movie. I think if we were to make a Dark Phoenix movie in the future, it would be a Dark Phoenix movie about her struggle, and really should be the A plot and the primary of the movie.

I can't see how they can't do Dark Phoenix after the way Apocalypse ended, I'd prefer more build up to it but whatever.

http://www.slashfilm.com/logan-producers-interview/

49 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

So the next X-Men film isn't going to be called Supernova, that was it's codename, either way I think it's likely intentionally cosmic.

I can't see how they can't do Dark Phoenix after the way Apocalypse ended, I'd prefer more build up to it but whatever.

http://www.slashfilm.com/logan-producers-interview/

A surprisingly candid interview. I agree with him that the codenames for productions are a bit pointless these days.

It definitely sounds like they want to do a more cosmic Phoenix story which would fit with them expanding the franchise into a new arena. Maybe this could be a backdoor for a "starjammers" film? Ever since seeing how GOTG worked out I can't shake the feeling starjammers could work - maybe as more of a "firefly" version than GOTG's "farscape" spin. Plus Fox has some cool alien races to play with - they could even have Galactus and Silver Surfer turn up if they wanted.

What makes the Dark Phoenix saga work in the comics is the setup, which is enormous: a beloved character dying, returning to life, slowly becoming more powerful, being subverted, going bad, struggling to atone, facing the consequences, her team-mates trying to save her, only for her to sacrifice herself. The cosmic scope is contrasted with the personal stakes, the love and loyalty of her team-mates and her partner.

It took over 30 issues of comics to do all that. Doing it all in one film might be possible but you're going to have to focus on Jean and her relationships relentlessly. Absolutely no Magneto/Prof X/Mystique stuff. Also no Wolverine stuff, but with Jackman gone that may not be an issue.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I think they're part of the X-Men package.

I suspect so too given how Lilandra is tied quite closely to Xavier and in general only appear in X-men stories (until the annihilation event in the comics). Just remembered how wacky the imperial guard are too.

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

What makes the Dark Phoenix saga work in the comics is the setup, which is enormous: a beloved character dying, returning to life, slowly becoming more powerful, being subverted, going bad, struggling to atone, facing the consequences, her team-mates trying to save her, only for her to sacrifice herself. The cosmic scope is contrasted with the personal stakes, the love and loyalty of her team-mates and her partner.

It took over 30 issues of comics to do all that. Doing it all in one film might be possible but you're going to have to focus on Jean and her relationships relentlessly. Absolutely no Magneto/Prof X/Mystique stuff. Also no Wolverine stuff, but with Jackman gone that may not be an issue.

That's a really good point. Even the first time around X-2 was used to cement the love triangle and kill her off. Really they could do with another film prior to her death if they want to do dark phoenix. They could also do with a Wolverine recast or a new love interest (according to the comics - everyone loves Jean Grey anyhow irrespective of creepiness)

53 minutes ago, red snow said:

They could also do with a Wolverine recast or a new love interest (according to the comics - everyone loves Jean Grey anyhow irrespective of creepiness)

Wolverine is one character you definitely don't need for the Dark Phoenix saga. Cyclops is the character you need.

I don;t want any more Wolverine for a while. The films can't focus on the whole cast the way the comics do, and Wolverine has hogged the screen in every film he's been in. I'd like a decent Cyclops before him again, Rogue, Gambit, Kitty, I'd like to see all these guys properly done justice over Wolverine.

12 hours ago, mormont said:

Wolverine is one character you definitely don't need for the Dark Phoenix saga. Cyclops is the character you need.

If you have to pick then of course it's Cyclops but the orginal story did benefit a lot from the love triangle. It added to the instability of the Phoenix and it made for some powerful scenes in the sense that Cyclops was ultimately the most supportive and capable. The contrast between how the two dealt with the grief was also well handled. But it's more of a TV story than a film so maybe it needs to be axed.

I'm also all for the Cyclops love. I'd actually like to see him rise to being the figurehead of the mutant movement as he was in the comics over the last decade (pretty much the only positive thing from the x-men comics in that time) but without the weird "trying to make him evil while inadvertently making him more popular" mis-steps.

9 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I don;t want any more Wolverine for a while. The films can't focus on the whole cast the way the comics do, and Wolverine has hogged the screen in every film he's been in. I'd like a decent Cyclops before him again, Rogue, Gambit, Kitty, I'd like to see all these guys properly done justice over Wolverine.

Having just watched "logan" last night I think it would be a disservice to that film and the character to have him appear for the next few movies. Because they aren't going to top that in an ensemble cast. Although I was thinking during the film about the recasting as if it is a momentous thing and realised that all the other X-men have been recast now and I'm not sure Wolverine is much more iconic than Magneto and Professor X. I just wish Ian Mckellan had had the same opportunity for as good a send off as Stewart and Jackman just got. Mckellan was underused in DOFP and well, Last stand was what it was. I think Fassbender has actually been given more interesting things to do overall.

I'm all for them shifting the focus onto other characters although many of the ones you've listed work best in a team. That isn't a problem unless they want to make solo films. There's room for a Gambit solo story I guess but probably just one.

regarding Logan and future films

I'd really like to see more of X-23 but I'm not sure how they get around the issue of she's 11 in 2029. Unless Cable or Bishop bring her back into the main franchise via an X-force film it seems she's stuck there. Ideally I'd like them to stick with the actress as well - give her a few years to age.

The Logan timeline is pretty depressing because it suggested that a virus killed virtually all the mutants (the rest hunted down) around 2004. Which means the new timeline created by DOFP actually failed earlier than the one that resulted in DOFP. Harsh.

I also have no idea where Deadpool fits in all of this. I think it's easiest to just take "logan" as its own thing.

Archived