Foxy Mutant movies - general discussion of X-men movies

red snow

14 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Nah, I think you're overrating it- Logan was from the start a very rebellious figure (so was Thunderbird, and that's why they killed him off- two Wolverine-like figures would be too much), and, like I said, it's not like he had much contact with Jean anyway,

I think you're underplaying it. It was there in that Byrne run. He was John's pet character, back in the day, and got worked into more storylines and subplots than probably any other team member. 

15 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

But, like I said, Jean was barely in the story at all until DPS.

Eh, from issues #101

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/5/50/X-Men_Vol_1_101.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20051201150036

To issue #137. That's 3 years worth of issues. Plenty of time to work that subplot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, from what I've been reading on the internet there are no black Brazilian actors in existence so I'm guessing there aren't. Clearly, Hollywood has an actor shortage.

50 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

So for New Mutants Blu Hunt has been cast as Danielle Moonstar. She's apparently part Native American, but I do find myself wondering if there aren't fully Native actors out there.

I know AMC has been struggling to find someone to play the lead female Inuit character in it's adaptation of The Terror. Every other role has been cast already and the show is supposed to premier this year. 

On 16/05/2017 at 0:28 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, from issues #101

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/5/50/X-Men_Vol_1_101.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20051201150036

To issue #137. That's 3 years worth of issues. Plenty of time to work that subplot.

Nah, she mostly disappeared from the books shortly after that when the team split up. Cyclops was even dating Colleen Wing.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinberg officially on board to direct Dark Phoenix -- McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence to return, with Jessica Chastain in talks for Lilandra

So, on a scale from 1 to "check, please," how phoned in and bored will JLaw be in this movie? Will she even be AWAKE in her scenes, or will all her scenes be her sleeping, while Charles telepathically communicates her thoughts to the rest of the cast? Maybe they'll even let her roll around in blue raspberry Kool Aid dust instead of making her go through the makeup process.

I will reserve judgement until I see the final article. I was certainly disappointed with Apocalypse, but hopefully with a decent script and having taken some of the criticism on board she may be more invested? I'm so furious with Apocalypse, I loved Days of Future Past so much, it was Like Last Stand following X2 all over again.

I wasn't crazy about Sophie Turner as Jean Grey when I first heard she was cast in the role, and unfortunately Apocalypse confirmed my fear she wasn't a good choice. Tbf that movie had plenty of other problems so it wasn't just her. I just don't want to see Dark Phoenix screwed up for the second time. That storyline deserves better. 

40 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I wasn't crazy about Sophie Turner as Jean Grey when I first heard she was cast in the role, and unfortunately Apocalypse confirmed my fear she wasn't a good choice. Tbf that movie had plenty of other problems so it wasn't just her. I just don't want to see Dark Phoenix screwed up for the second time. That storyline deserves better. 

Agreed.  That and GoT are the only things I've seen her in, and she really hasn't shown much in my opinion.  I wonder if she even had to audition for the part, or if they were like, "she's got red hair, and she's in one of the most popular television shows ever... hire her!"?

Yeah turner was totally the wrong choice. She does a good Sansa but I'm not sure she is very versatile.

Dark Phoenix is a great storyline, but only if you establish the characters properly in the first place. Where is the sense of loss and change if you don't even know who jean grey is. 

It also needs a sense of scale that I doubt we will get 

I'm not exactly a fan of Kinberg's work in terms of screenplays/production but I guess we can hope as a director there's no dilution of his vision.

I think they'd be insane not to involve the starjammers as a backdoor spin-off franchise for themselves. My worry is that we'll just have a load of guest slot imperial guards like we did with the horsemen.

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah turner was totally the wrong choice. She does a good Sansa but I'm not sure she is very versatile.

Dark Phoenix is a great storyline, but only if you establish the characters properly in the first place. Where is the sense of loss and change if you don't even know who jean grey is. 

It also needs a sense of scale that I doubt we will get 

They had the last film setting her up. Granted they maybe should have developed the relationship between Jean and Scott a bit more but if they can get good chemistry between the two actors they should be able to develop that.

Also we need to keep in mind that while the comics took a long time setting up/exploring the Phoenix saga it did so at 22 pages a month (although the storytelling was much more dense back then). The 90s cartoon did it in a total of 9 episodes (3hours) and that's the phoenix and dark phoenix together so I don't think it's too unreasonable that a decent screenplay could translate it to film. The issue is whether Kinberg is that capable.

I also concede that the cartoon did develop the relationships over several seasons too.

Casting list for new characters. I'll have a guess at some - others are welcome to join in.

[HIROSHI] Male, Early- Mid 20s, Japanese, brash Tokyo punk kid with an attitude. Although Hiroshi is young, he can command the attention of a room and is always ready for a fight. Must be able to speak English fluently, but open to an accent (could be Japanese, British…)…LEAD. We are looking for an actor who is actually Japanese for this role.

Sunfire?

[BRITTANY] Female 18 to play younger (15-17) Caucasian. Very attractive, charismatic and confident. Possibly a bit edgy with a fiery personality, Brittany is a born entertainer. Strong singing skills are a plus, but not mandatory. SUPPORTING

Must be Dazzler, surely?

[REDMOND] Male, 50s-Early 60s, open to all ethnicities.  An affluent, big, stocky, ruddy American. Not necessarily fit, just physically imposing. Powerful, arrogant and blunt, Redmond is not used to being challenged and steamrolls anyone who opposes him…SUPPORTING

The Blob? Juggnernaut? Maybe even Sebastian Shaw (in all cases these are recasts)

[JACK]Male, Late 40s-Early 50s, British, open to all ethnicities. Handsome, charismatic and masculine. Jack is very self assured, almost cocky, but too cool to show it. Even in the most tense situations, he never shows fear…SUPPORTING

I'm hoping this is Gladiator just because his power his confidence based and he has a "cool" look.

[SCARLET] Female. 20s. Open to all ethnicities. Very beautiful and fit. She is powerful and never backs down from an argument. Role requires a good deal of action/movement. Actresses with major dance, parkour, gymnastics or martial arts training are a huge plus. Should not be afraid of heights and must be comfortable in a wire harness. *Please note specifics of training on submission. SUPPORTING

This one seems very specific but I can't think of a female X-men that has that level of gymnastics? Nightcrawler keeps coming to mind. Maybe it's Hepzibah (the starjammer catwoman?)

I get the impression we're getting the Hellfire club again which i guess is sort of necessary for Dark Phoenix although this means there'd be at least a third of the film spent prior to the interstellar aspects? Are they going to bother "killing" her first? Seems intrinsic to the Phoenix. So while it's not impossible to do this in a 2.5 hour film it is going to need a fast pace to kill Jean, resurrect her, have her influenced by the Hellfire club and get into space as the dark phoenix. Maybe it'll wind up a two-parter?

The most worrying part of this is that they're shoe-horning Magneto and Mystique in. You don't cast those two actors and then have them standing around with little to do, so they each have to get a plot arc. Then you have to fit in the Dark Phoenix storyline, which will involve at minimum the Shi'ar and possibly, from the above, the Starjammers and/or the Hellfire Club. This is a lot to fit into one movie.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

The most worrying part of this is that they're shoe-horning Magneto and Mystique in. You don't cast those two actors and then have them standing around with little to do, so they each have to get a plot arc. Then you have to fit in the Dark Phoenix storyline, which will involve at minimum the Shi'ar and possibly, from the above, the Starjammers and/or the Hellfire Club. This is a lot to fit into one movie.

It's almost as if they didn't learn anything from Last Stand.

35 minutes ago, mormont said:

With the details that are emerging I agree that this would possibly work better as a two parter.

As for Magneto and Mystique they do seem really hard to fit into the traditional story. At best they could have a short opening with Magneto as a villain (for a change) and he's somehow responsible for Jean's death. They really should have had her die at the end of Apocalypse though.

Only use for Mystique is a potential fake-out scene where the Shiar/imperial guard think they have captured the phoenix and it turns out to be Mystique. Not worth the baggage really.

Plus there's 4-5 new leads being added. I'd assume/hope the team we saw at the end of Apocalypse will still be involved which does make it feel crowded. Which is what tends to bog down the weaker X-films.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

[REDMOND] Male, 50s-Early 60s, open to all ethnicities.  An affluent, big, stocky, ruddy American. Not necessarily fit, just physically imposing. Powerful, arrogant and blunt, Redmond is not used to being challenged and steamrolls anyone who opposes him…SUPPORTING

The Blob? Juggnernaut? Maybe even Sebastian Shaw (in all cases these are recasts)

[JACK]Male, Late 40s-Early 50s, British, open to all ethnicities. Handsome, charismatic and masculine. Jack is very self assured, almost cocky, but too cool to show it. Even in the most tense situations, he never shows fear…SUPPORTING

I'm hoping this is Gladiator just because his power his confidence based and he has a "cool" look.

I get the impression we're getting the Hellfire club again which i guess is sort of necessary for Dark Phoenix although this means there'd be at least a third of the film spent prior to the interstellar aspects? Are they going to bother "killing" her first? Seems intrinsic to the Phoenix. So while it's not impossible to do this in a 2.5 hour film it is going to need a fast pace to kill Jean, resurrect her, have her influenced by the Hellfire club and get into space as the dark phoenix. Maybe it'll wind up a two-parter?

Yeah, I think Hellfire Club members are a fair assumption. Perhaps Harry Leland (Black Bishop) for that first guess and either Donald Pierce or Jason Wyngarde for the 2nd?

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I think Hellfire Club members are a fair assumption. Perhaps Harry Leland (Black Bishop) for that first guess and either Donald Pierce or Jason Wyngarde for the 2nd?

Good shouts. Although this does show how screwed up (and how little of a shit the makers give) about continuity in the X-men franchise. Donald Pierce has just been in logan and the Hellfire club were in first class. Although I'd like to see a version of the Hellfire club that bore a closer resemblance to the comics. I always liked how they were a bunch of millionairres who dressed in ridiculous old costumes.

Archived