Foxy Mutant movies - general discussion of X-men movies

red snow

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

Good shouts. Although this does show how screwed up (and how little of a shit the makers give) about continuity in the X-men franchise. Donald Pierce has just been in logan and the Hellfire club were in first class. Although I'd like to see a version of the Hellfire club that bore a closer resemblance to the comics. I always liked how they were a bunch of millionairres who dressed in ridiculous old costumes.

True. It would be a bit much to see them actually get it right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Vague news stuff:

Rosario Dawson was in talks for New Mutants, but the role (Cecilia Reyes) has gone to Alice Braga.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/x-men-new-mutants/50422/x-men-new-mutants-rosario-dawson-out-alice-braga-in

Evan Peter's Quicksilver will return in Dark Phoenix. I really have trouble with him, he's just way too fast.

http://www.cbr.com/evan-peters-quicksilver-in-x-men-dark-phoenix/

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Vague news stuff:

Rosario Dawson was in talks for New Mutants, but the role (Cecilia Reyes) has gone to Alice Braga.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/x-men-new-mutants/50422/x-men-new-mutants-rosario-dawson-out-alice-braga-in

Evan Peter's Quicksilver will return in Dark Phoenix. I really have trouble with him, he's just way too fast.

http://www.cbr.com/evan-peters-quicksilver-in-x-men-dark-phoenix/

My first thought was that it maybe is true that MCU actors are not permitted to do work for the "other side". That or she's just so busy turning up in every Netflix Marvel show that she doesn't have time for it.

• 3 months later...

Well then... won't be taking my seven year old to that one...  :lol: 

Looks like Fox is doubling down on the R rated mutant movies.  That's certainly one way to stand out from the Marvel-verse.

Loved Legion's subtle horror.  This one seems almost too overt.  Will have to see more.

It's based on a story that occurred during the Bill Sienkiewicz run of The New Mutants. His style is extremely surreal, and yeah it was basically a horror story.

http://www.cbr.com/comics-you-should-own-the-new-mutants-18-31/

Darkest run of that series (and perhaps any of the X-titles up to that point)

On 13/10/2017 at 11:25 AM, GallowKnight said:

New Mutants Trailer.

This looks nothing like I ever expected it to look like.

Yeah, wasn't the comic version mostly basically a teeny X-Men reboot?

Not that I disapprove. I'm not a horror fan at all, but cross-genre experimentation is one way to keep superheroes from getting identikit and stale, and while superhorror isn't entirely new, setting an explicitly horror movie in the X-Men universe is a pretty bold step. Fox, while obviously still making the big obvious smashdowns of the core X-movies and that's fine, have obviously decided that the way to beat Marvel is not by trying to do Marvel but by diversifying and taking a few gambles.

Yeah, the change of genre at least has me interested, whereas I before I did not care. I do hope that someone we know from the X-Men films shows up. But then I have no idea when this movie is set in the convoluted x-men movie timeline.  But having some version of Xavier or better yet Magneto show up at the end recruiting would be neat and help tie this one into the franchise. 

Though I still think the whole thing needs a reboot. As much as I enjoyed Deadpool and Logan I'll kinda never forgive them for breathing new life into the franchise when Fox was considering starting over. 

Tbh at this point I think they're almost better doing these scattered, not-really-connected standalones rather than trying to maintain a coherent universe. The bloated continuity doesn't matter to these films. It's only the core X-films that are affected, and I'm not convinced a clean state would solve that problem for at all long.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Tbh at this point I think they're almost better doing these scattered, not-really-connected standalones rather than trying to maintain a coherent universe. The bloated continuity doesn't matter to these films. It's only the core X-films that are affected, and I'm not convinced a clean state would solve that problem for at all long. 

At this point, yeah they're better off doing loosely connected standalones and continuity is fucked. But the standalones should at least have some connection to the rest of the universe, like Colossus and Xavier's mansion in Deadpool. I don't think being a self contained thing is gonna hurt New Mutants, but It's more fun when the characters in a shared universe can interact. Imagine if one of the New Mutants at this facility was Evan Peters's Quicksliver (on some drugs to slow him down so he cant just escape in another memorable set peice) We would all suddenly be a lot more invested in the movie. Again I have no idea where on the timeline this movie falls but any of the X-Men, even if re-cast would at least give some connection to what came before. 

I disagree that these problems couldn't be solved with a clean slate.  Marvel has done a mostly great job keeping continuity. Plus the source material allows for ways to do one off non-canon type stories if they want without contradicting what came before. 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Is anyone else not wild about Channing Tatum as Gambit?... I know he is the driving force behind the role, kind of like Ryan Reynolds was with Deadpool, but I just can't picture him pulling it off.

Better than Taylor Kitsch...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived