Foxy Mutant movies - general discussion of X-men movies

red snow

I'd prefer a Disney reboot of X-men over the soft reboot that is currently in progress post Days of Future Past muddling up the timeline. Logan, Deadpool and (from the looks of it) New Mutants are going in a good direction, but the A-Team needs to god back to the basics without all the muddling. Go back to either the first 5 only or even start with Storm, Wolvie, Nightcrawler, and Colossus joining the team.

That said, keeping X-Men out of MCU is probably a much cleaner way to go, unless it's for a once every five years cross-over movie. Like the comics used to be. Avengers and FF the public heroes and the X-Men as the underdogs working on the side, fighting prejudice.

FF would slot in easily with MCU phase 4, especially if many or most of the Avengers are killed off in the next two films (or at least sidelined/retired afterwards). I wasn't much of a fan of FF growing up, but they are a part of Marvel at it's core. Family,

Yeah, I don't think the X-Men would slot into the existing MCU all that well. Hell, I don't think they do it that well in the comics. I'm happy with them being separate and on their own... just as long as the movies are good.

FF I don't give a shit about honestly.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that even if Disney gets the x-men and FF rights back from Fox, it would be better to keep the X-men and Avengers separate... *but*... Its would be nice if they didn;t have to pretend that one another didn't exist... to be able to refer to the Scarlet Witch as a mutant would be refreshing... Or even A Wolverine crossover perhaps... making the occasional reference goes a long way with us nerds... 

As for the Fantastic Four... while I also agree that they are now a viable product on their own... they *would* make good tertiary characters... they'd have fit in nicely in Civil War, for instance... and I'd love to see a Hulk/Thing on screen brawl... as well as Tony Stark and Reed Richards jockeying to see whose di...er... brain is bigger... 

On 16/11/2017 at 9:30 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I agree that even if Disney gets the x-men and FF rights back from Fox, it would be better to keep the X-men and Avengers separate... *but*... Its would be nice if they didn;t have to pretend that one another didn't exist... to be able to refer to the Scarlet Witch as a mutant would be refreshing... Or even A Wolverine crossover perhaps... making the occasional reference goes a long way with us nerds... 

As for the Fantastic Four... while I also agree that they are now a viable product on their own... they *would* make good tertiary characters... they'd have fit in nicely in Civil War, for instance... and I'd love to see a Hulk/Thing on screen brawl... as well as Tony Stark and Reed Richards jockeying to see whose di...er... brain is bigger... 

There's no way Marvel would keep the X-men separate from the rest of the MCU. The temptation would be too great - even if it might be sensible to keep them separate over the long run. In the comics it's never really made much sense how the public loves non-mutants yet fears and hates mutants when there's very little way of knowing whether the heroes are mutant or magic/god, radiation based.

On 16/11/2017 at 8:57 PM, GallowKnight said:

I really appreciate how Fox is thinking outside the box with the X-men franchise. Obviously emboldened by Logan and Deadpool (and the backlash against Apocalypse) they seem to be doing things a little different and not playing it safe by doing X-force and other teams of mutants (even New Mutants seems very different from what many of us thought would be "X-men high school").

Madrox could make a really interesting film. I'm not entirely convinced whether James Franco is the best choice for the film - they need the male equivalent of Tatiana Maslany who can do multiple iterations of a similar character (Madrox usually makes exact duplicates but some are subtly/drastically different).  I could mention some candidates but often it's a spoiler mentioning this in a film role and secondly I can't imagine an actor would want to do it twice. Franco has some good roles to his name but I'm not totally convinced. Then again this may be his chance to shine.

Anyway the above is something that would cease if marvel had the mutants back. Pretty sure the first thing they'd do is allow films to wrap then reboot the whole thing. A bit like how all the good marvel cartoons that weren't Disney were killed off irrespective of whether they were good or not eg Spectacular Spider-man and Wovlerine and the X-men. Arguably Disney axed Clone Wars so they could start on their own cartoon (even if Rebels was still a continuation)

12 hours ago, red snow said:

I really appreciate how Fox is thinking outside the box with the X-men franchise. Obviously emboldened by Logan and Deadpool (and the backlash against Apocalypse) they seem to be doing things a little different and not playing it safe by doing X-force and other teams of mutants (even New Mutants seems very different from what many of us thought would be "X-men high school").

Madrox could make a really interesting film. I'm not entirely convinced whether James Franco is the best choice for the film - they need the male equivalent of Tatiana Maslany who can do multiple iterations of a similar character (Madrox usually makes exact duplicates but some are subtly/drastically different).  I could mention some candidates but often it's a spoiler mentioning this in a film role and secondly I can't imagine an actor would want to do it twice. Franco has some good roles to his name but I'm not totally convinced. Then again this may be his chance to shine.

Anyway the above is something that would cease if marvel had the mutants back. Pretty sure the first thing they'd do is allow films to wrap then reboot the whole thing. A bit like how all the good marvel cartoons that weren't Disney were killed off irrespective of whether they were good or not eg Spectacular Spider-man and Wovlerine and the X-men. Arguably Disney axed Clone Wars so they could start on their own cartoon (even if Rebels was still a continuation)

Yeah, this why I'm not really in favour of Marvel getting the X-Men rights back. While I like the MCU films they do feel like they are all fairly "safe" movies , and something like Logan or Deadpool wouldn't fly in the MCU.

Plus I really like Madrox so I would actually like to see what they will make of that.

Archived