Bakker XLVII: Eär-War - A Nomen of Onomatopoeic Omen

.H.

13 minutes ago, profgrape said:

Couldn't be Nau-Cayuti who rescued him; he was dead/missing before the Fall of Tryse.  And if history is to be believed, Seswatha didn't know what happened to the HS after the Batlle of Eleneot Fields.

Yeah, duh, I knew something wasn't quite right with that idea, but I posted in haste.

Perhaps he did something a la Serwa, a song or a word to jog his memory.

20 minutes ago, .H. said:

Yeah, duh, I knew something wasn't quite right with that idea, but I posted in haste.

Perhaps he did something a la Serwa, a song or a word to jog his memory.

lol hard to keep the timeline straight!  And even then, there's good reason to question what little we know of that time...

2 hours ago, LuckyCharms said:

The lack of consensus tells me that we just don't know. So I'll add it to my whiteboard of TTT loose threads.

Yep. We just don't know. I do like @redeagl idea. And, @.H. suggestion that Ses somehow convinced Mel to free him is plausible. @lokisnow's might be another that could very well be right, and I like it.

49 minutes ago, profgrape said:

Sadly, I suspect that there will be a lot of dangling threads like this after TUC.  MG said as much, that while the central questions about Earwa are answered, there are a number of smaller questions that remain open.  

Saubon's vision at the Plains of Mengedda is like what?—a single paragraph in that chapter, a tiny blip. Even that tiny moment got closure four books and eleven years later. I agree with the spirit of your statement perhaps, but I have no doubt that some of these tiny moments will be explicated or have some payoff.

I have a question for which I don't want spoilers (so if the answer involves things that happen later, don't spoil it). So, am I supposed to conclude that

Spoiler

a skin spy skilled Xerius? I would think so if it weren't for that bit about Istriya's legs turning into eight, which could just be a metaphor.

You know, it's a sign of a poor writer when the reader can't tell when to take something literally or figuratively. This happens too often.

6 minutes ago, Pino Proxy said:

I have a question for which I don't want spoilers (so if the answer involves things that happen later, don't spoil it). So, am I supposed to conclude that

Hide contents

a skin spy skilled Xerius? I would think so if it weren't for that bit about Istriya's legs turning into eight, which could just be a metaphor.

You know, it's a sign of a poor writer when the reader can't tell when to take something literally or figuratively. This happens too often.

Yes, that's precisely what happened.

6 hours ago, profgrape said:

Sadly, I suspect that there will be a lot of dangling threads like this after TUC.  MG said as much, that while the central questions about Earwa are answered, there are a number of smaller questions that remain open.  

That's not sad. There should always be open questions for the world to feel alive.

Are there any images of the things in this series? Something to help me visualize some stuff?

I'm in the middle of The Thousandfold Thought, and the author does a very poor job of describing things. The interior of the Incu Holoinas is extremely vague, contradictory, and nonsensical. Zioz might as well not have been described, though he spent three paragraphs doing so. Aurax (I'm guessing) at the end of The Warrior Prophet was well described, but considering the author's shady track record with imagery, maybe I'm getting the image wrong.

7 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Yeah, try googling "spiral horizon bakker" and go to images.  These are of course just one artist's depictions and not author-sanctioned or anything.

And yeah, shouldn't we be about due for another merest fraction now that we're inside of three months?

Will the images have major spoilers? I'm only on book three, so I really would rather not see an image of something that is yet to come.

8 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Perhaps some though I don't see much at first glance.  Always better to mow through the books though to be on the safe side if you're spoiler-sensitive. 

Actually, a few were incorporated into hype for the Unholy Consult, and those have spoilers.

Alright. After rereading the description of the interior of the Incu Holoinas, I suppose that so long as I get the general idea I'll be satisfied.

Archived