Bakker XLVII: Eär-War - A Nomen of Onomatopoeic Omen

.H.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Huh. Zeum remains offscreen. So much for that idea.

That is not terribly surprising, considering the amount of plot and characters that has already been set up.

OTOH, it would be a great tease to have the first hundred pages elsewhere...

Or an upcoming Atrocity Tale?

I'm just stopping by for a quick question because I'm really trying hard to avoid spoilers. I just started The Thousandfold Thought, and unlike the previous two books, this one has an encyclopedic glossary. Should I read through all of the entries before actually starting the book, or does the glossary spoil stuff I'm not supposed to know (such as the year of death of characters)? 

17 minutes ago, Pino Proxy said:

I'm just stopping by for a quick question because I'm really trying hard to avoid spoilers. I just started The Thousandfold Thought, and unlike the previous two books, this one has an encyclopedic glossary. Should I read through all of the entries before actually starting the book, or does the glossary spoil stuff I'm not supposed to know (such as the year of death of characters)? 

Yeah, don't read through it.

1 hour ago, Pino Proxy said:

Wow. Why would he add that section if it was meant to be avoided during the first read-through? Huge oversight on his part, then.

It's almost as if the books were designed to be as deliberately antagonistic to sales as possible. 

Do read it after finishing the book though.

1 hour ago, Pino Proxy said:

Wow. Why would he add that section if it was meant to be avoided during the first read-through? Huge oversight on his part, then.

It is at the end of the book . . . Huge hassle not to skip to the end. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Pino Proxy said:

I read all the big sections in the glossary about half way through the first time I read ttt. I was in a less eventful middle part and flipped

back to see if some character who I only half remembered was explained in the glossary. I got distracted and basically spent the next hour flipping through the glossary. I don't remember feeling spoiled by anything but I wasn't really looking for death dates of characters so I never noticed.

the main thing I took away from it was that it clarified akkas big speech at the end of the warrior prophet which I must have skimmed or not processed because most of the stuff that Retells that story I didn't remember at all

7 hours ago, Pino Proxy said:

The section is at the end. To give worthwhile details about all 3 of the books in the trilogy.

When this came out back in 2006, the enormous glossary was one of the things we were most anticipating. It's still great, and Unholy Consult ( out in 3 months) will have a new glossary. You can use it to look up specific stuff while you are reading. It's the opposite of an oversight.

Something just came to me. In TTT, when Cnaiur 'kills himself' in front of Achamian, maybe he ordered one of those skin spies that Aurang gave him as 'slaves' to impersonate him. I can't remember did we see that from Akka's or Cnauir's POW?

Two things of interest from the AMA:

1) The children of nonmen and humans are not able to reproduce. So like a mule I guess. Does that kill the theory that the the Kel line has nonman blood?

2) cool quote from Bakker on the metaphysics:

"Thank you, Sir Grimdark. There's a morass of metaphysical interpretations that bubble up like pitch from ground of the books. But the ultimate metaphysical conceit for the world involves the diminishing degrees of the God's apprehension, fixing the World, then shading away in the Outside. This forms the objective frame for mortal belief, which short blasphemous exercises in sorcery, has no way of changing the apprehended."

29 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding the scene you're talking about, Achamian wasn't there. Nor do we actually see Cnaiur wound himself. It's implied that he's planning to kill himself (or that "Serwe" kills him) at the end of his last POV, but at that point Achamian was off either boning Esmenet or fighting Zioz.

Reading through the AMA now. What sick fuck gave their 8th grade nephew these books lol.

Thanks, it's been a while since I read that scene. I thought that Akka believed him to be dead, and because he witnessed Cnaiur cut his own throat.

6 hours ago, unJon said:

"Thank you, Sir Grimdark. There's a morass of metaphysical interpretations that bubble up like pitch from ground of the books. But the ultimate metaphysical conceit for the world involves the diminishing degrees of the God's apprehension, fixing the World, then shading away in the Outside. This forms the objective frame for mortal belief, which short blasphemous exercises in sorcery, has no way of changing the apprehended."

I can't parse this at all. What does shading away mean? 

19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I can't parse this at all. What does shading away mean? 

I read this as supporting the Anjencis quotes about how Earwa is maximally objective and the Outside has layers (?) where will can affect change. (I'm heavily paraphrasing.) the metaphysical construct for that is God apprehending Earwa and not so much apprehending the Outside (and that there are gradations of "Outside-ness") 

18 hours ago, Gronzag said:

Thanks, it's been a while since I read that scene. I thought that Akka believed him to be dead, and because he witnessed Cnaiur cut his own throat.

I think you two are talking about two different scenes...

9 hours ago, Hello World said:

I love Bakker's blog, by the way. https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/april-fools-update/#comment-49438

:rolleyes:

edit: to be clear, I just find it funny that that's on Bakker's blog for whatever reason... not that I agree with the comment.

I can't believe that's the actual cover. It's like Overlook is deliberately trying to repel people: "herein you will find only ugliness and despair!" 

9 hours ago, Hello World said:

I love Bakker's blog, by the way. https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/april-fools-update/#comment-49438

:rolleyes:

edit: to be clear, I just find it funny that that's on Bakker's blog for whatever reason... not that I agree with the comment.

Thanks for that link, his philosophical blog entries are usually way above my pay-grade. However, that exchange in the comments:

Bakker respectfully, and clearly takes that anti-semitic commenter down. Good to see Bakker use his formidable mind in this manner.

Archived