By guile

The Fresh PtwP

12 hours ago, HouseFossoway said:

I don't think they're actually going to be able to take Storm's End.

Hide contents

All that was revealed to us from Arianne's second chapter in the TWOW is that Arianne is at Griffin's Roost, and that she has been told that they have taken Storm's End. They are also in the process of demanding that she go with them to meet fAegon. I think that they tried to take Storm's End, failed, and are now trying to bring Arianne to them so that one of the generals can forcibly marry her so that she will send a letter to Doran telling him to declare for fAegon, because if they don't get the martells on their side soon, they have no hope.

I suppose that's possible but I think it's a reach and I def think the opposite is much more likely.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Edric Storm is in Lys.

He went to Lys. Whether he is still there is presumable, but not definite. Don't you expect him to show up somewhere down the road? Or do you think he already served his purpose? 

Edric may have ended up at Lys as the appendix says but Davos is under the impression the boy is at Stepstones

A Dance with Dragons - Davos II    Some nights he thought he had been left to rescue Edric Storm … but by now King Robert's bastard boy was safe in the Stepstones, yet Davos still remained. Do the gods have some other task for me? he wondered.

If the boy is at Stepstones it opens a number of possibilities.

49 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He went to Lys. Whether he is still there is presumable, but not definite. Don't you expect him to show up somewhere down the road? Or do you think he already served his purpose? 

I could see Dany finding him in Lys when her armada takes the city or makes halt there to take up provisions. Considering that Aegon is likely going to name a new Lord of Storm's End at one point it might be handy for her to have a Baratheon bastard she could legitimize. And he could also be used as a weapon against Stannis should he still be a player at this point in time.

Aside from that I see great difficulty to reintroduce Edric Storm into the story. He is just not important enough nor is the political situation likely to favor his return to Westeros in the foreseeable future. Not with Jon Connington having a position of power in the Stormlands.

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I could see Dany finding him in Lys when her armada takes the city or makes halt there to take up provisions. Considering that Aegon is likely going to name a new Lord of Storm's End at one point it might be handy for her to have a Baratheon bastard she could legitimize. And he could also be used as a weapon against Stannis should he still be a player at this point in time.

Aside from that I see great difficulty to reintroduce Edric Storm into the story. He is just not important enough nor is the political situation likely to favor his return to Westeros in the foreseeable future. Not with Jon Connington having a position of power in the Stormlands.

Yeah, I could see him resurfacing in some capacity, but, as you say, he is a minor character, who has already fulfilled a role in the plot--to show us how desperate Melisandre is for king's blood, how willing Stannis might be to sacrifice an innocent child of his own blood, and how Davos is willing to risk everything to do the right thing, a true knight. 

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Edric Storm is in Lys.

Exactly. Wouldnt the ships from Volantas have to refresh water and isnt Lys and the Stepstones generally where they refuel. Not to mention the ships were dropping them off on any bit of land they could find. If im not mistaken i think Lys and the Stepstones were places that were mentioned where the gold company were being dropped off. 

Then there is Jons own mention of important hostages. Given that if they picked the boy up in Lys this would have given Jon plently of time to come up with a scheme to use the boy.

Its not foolproof but it does have possibilities 

31 minutes ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

Exactly. Wouldnt the ships from Volantas have to refresh water and isnt Lys and the Stepstones generally where they refuel. Not to mention the ships were dropping them off on any bit of land they could find. If im not mistaken i think Lys and the Stepstones were places that were mentioned where the gold company were being dropped off. 

Then there is Jons own mention of important hostages. Given that if they picked the boy up in Lys this would have given Jon plently of time to come up with a scheme to use the boy.

Stepstones, yes. Lys, no.

"The damned Volantenes are so eager to be rid of us they are dumping us ashore on any bit of land they see," said Franklyn Flowers. "I'll wager you that we've got lads scattered all over half the bloody Stepstones too." - The Griffin Reborn, ADwD 

17 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Edric Storm is in Lys.

That's where the Golden Company took on water in Lys according to Doran.  They could have found him there.

Prince Doran shared his secret smile with her. "From Lys. A great fleet has put in there to take on water. Volantene ships chiefly, carrying an army. No word as to who they are, or where they might be bound. There was talk of elephants."

Not likely but would be a great way to get into Storm's End.

8 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

That's where the Golden Company took on water in Lys according to Doran.  They could have found him there.

Not likely but would be a great way to get into Storm's End.

The key might not be Edric Storm but, his protector, Andrew Estermont, who is Stannis's cousin and whose father is at Storm's End, especially since the Golden Company has taken Greenstone. 

The Golden Company apparently did not leave the ships while the Volantis made halt in the harbor of Lys. Else people would have learned who they were and Doran would have gotten more than rumors about elephants.

And there is no reason to believe that Edric's protectors would have contacted Connington or the Golden Company on their own. The news about Estermont only reached Connington after they landed on Cape Wraith, so they would have had no reason to put pressure on Andrew Estermont (if they had known he was there) while there were in Lys.

Now they could try to do that but do they know that Edric Storm and Andrew Estermont are in Lys? How should they know that? Even Davos doesn't know where they went.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, Makk said:

I think the Golden company will pretend to be the Golden company. They will attack and clear out the remaining Reach besiegers and then tell the Castellan (I forget his name) that Stannis has hired them. They are desperate, find it a plausible story, and will open the gates.

Quite possible, but Farring would be a fool to open the gates without getting confirmation from Stannis first.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Quite possible, but Farring would be a fool to open the gates without getting confirmation from Stannis first.

How should that work? If Stannis isn't there he cannot confirm. And we don't even know whether the man knows where Stannis is right now. And even if he did, waiting for a reply from Castle Black should take weeks. We also have no idea how the general mood among the garrison is. How desperate are there? How many provisions have they left? Do they want to continue the fight at all costs or are they considering to yield already if they get good terms?

If the Golden Company visibly slaughters Tyrell men in front of the walls the garrison has every reason to believe they are not King Tommen's friends. That in itself should mean they should see them as potential allies, irregardless whether they are actually working for Stannis or not. But assuming they are working for a dead Targaryen prince isn't something that will cross their minds.

And if some fellow Stormlords end up being with the Golden Company things should even be more easier.

For some reason the appendix says Edric is in Lys. I didn’t find any textual support for that. I don’t know why, perhaps more chapters got shuffled around.

Davos thinks the boy to be in Stepstones.  Either Davos mis-remembers his plan or someone changed his plan or Martin made another mistake or another chapter was pushed from DwD to WoW.

JonCon’s said he planned to take SE by guile, but his young Prince Aegon is giving him some flack saying he is going to lead the attack. That was the end of that until the Adrienne chapter showed up.

From what I understand Tyrell left a token force behind at SE and a couple Redwyne ships patrolling Shipwrecker Bay. Is that correct?

It’s too soon to write Edric off. That castellan wouldn’t give the boy up and died for it. Davos risked the wrath of Stannis to get the boy away from Mel. The ship that transported the boy was one of Saan’s. Now that Saan is upset with Stannis would he protect the boy?

It’s not going to difficult for the GC to deal with a token force lollygagging outside SE. If the GC produces Edric Storm, boom bing bang they are in.

Another thing about Edric is that if he is at Stepstones there is now a new pirate in town, Aurane Waters. If I remember correctly Aurane, before he bent his knee to the crown, supported Stannis.

Interesting that the appendix says Edric’s location is Lys and Davos thinks Stepstones. Any ideas why that is?

21 hours ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

He won't have any luck if he tries to use Edric as leverage against Cersei. She'd have killed the boy herself if she could have.

I wonder how Stannis would react though. He didn't much care for having the kid around as a reminder of Robert's behavior at his wedding, and he might have let Mel talk him into sacrificing him eventually, but he might take a rather different view of someone outside the family threatening Edric. 

14 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The key might not be Edric Storm but, his protector, Andrew Estermont, who is Stannis's cousin and whose father is at Storm's End, especially since the Golden Company has taken Greenstone. 

Even better.

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The Golden Company apparently did not leave the ships while the Volantis made halt in the harbor of Lys. Else people would have learned who they were and Doran would have gotten more than rumors about elephants.

And there is no reason to believe that Edric's protectors would have contacted Connington or the Golden Company on their own. The news about Estermont only reached Connington after they landed on Cape Wraith, so they would have had no reason to put pressure on Andrew Estermont (if they had known he was there) while there were in Lys.

Now they could try to do that but do they know that Edric Storm and Andrew Estermont are in Lys? How should they know that? Even Davos doesn't know where they went.

Maybe their Spymaster is actually good at his job? Maybe its something topic of interest in Lys. Its certainly possible that they could learn of it. Not probable probably but certainly something interesting to think about. Especially if Varys did kidnap Tyrek and save Gendry he might have been keeping an eye on Edric Storm. He was at least sending presents at one point.

Why would the Golden Company need Edric to get into Storm's End? All they'd have to do is break the Tyrell siege then claim to the garrison Stannis hired them to get the to open the gates, as was mentioned in this thread earlier. Seems to me (f)Aegon would be more likely to give the castle to JonCon than to some Baratheon bastard he doesn't know.

If the Golden Company had Edric Storm, Jon Connington would kill him. He represents a branch of the line of the usurper, possibly even a more legitimate branch in light of the fact that they should know by now that Cersei's children are, apparently, not Robert's. Edric Storm is the only acknowledged male bastard of Robert Baratheon and thus most definitely not somebody Connington would consider a potential ally.

52 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

If the Golden Company had Edric Storm, Jon Connington would kill him. He represents a branch of the line of the usurper, possibly even a more legitimate branch in light of the fact that they should know by now that Cersei's children are, apparently, not Robert's. Edric Storm is the only acknowledged male bastard of Robert Baratheon and thus most definitely not somebody Connington would consider a potential ally.

What if Edric Storm were willing to pay homage to Aegon? Wouldn't he then become a very powerful ally, at least symbolically? 

Archived