Oscars Night - La La Land, Moonlight etc. - continued

The Killer Snark

So I've just finished watching Moonlight. And I liked it, but I wouldn't have given it the best picture award. It's slow to get going, and then tapers off during its final third just as it's gotten started. It's well photographed and well acted, but it's not a film that anyone is going to remember in a few years. Do I think itwas hyped up and awarded prevalently through political considerations? Not really. I can sort of see where critics were going with their reviews, but it ticked certain criticular boxes without actually having that much behind it. I won't bother comparing it to films which definitely were advanced in the past because of political concerns without even being good movies, such as Monster's Ball or Brokeback Mountain. The film it's most like is Richard Linklater's Boyhood, if you can imagine it having white characters and less conscious grittiness. But, truth to told, it isn't really that gritty. Regardless, Boyhood has more going on in it, more characters and more character development, and is actually a masterpiece whereas Moonlight is no more than a quite good film. If anyone really wants to see a great movie with a homosexual theme they might not have seen yet, I recommend they watch Blue is the Warmest Colour. La La Land was the more deserving Oscar winner over Moonlight, but to be honest I'm not annoyed.

Archived