Biggest Thing you missed in the books?

As we know and love, ASOIAF is a multi layered story, with many subtle nuances. So I would say it's entirely possible for a small (or big) detail or subtle joke to pass a person by, even on multiple rereads. What's yours?

For me it was the interaction of Elmar Frey and Arya, with him bemoaning the loss of his princess, not knowing that Arya is right there. I only picked that up on the eighth or ninth reread, and laughed loudly once I did.

For my wife, she missed the supposed appearnce of Sarella as Alleras.

My sister missed the whole R+L=J thing. She took the characters at thier word that Ashara Dayne was Jon's mother. It was only after I read the books and mentioned it in passing that she realised the possibility.

I missed the identity of the Alchemist.  And, I didn't understand how Pate died, until I read about the death of the insurance broker in Braavos.

I also (surprisingly) missed Frey Pies.

One thing I did catch early on, without supporting research on forums like these, was the identity of the gravedigger on the quiet isle. I think it's all but canon we know who that is.

But I also missed R + L = J in the first read or two. Too much stuff happening to get stuck in the weeds as you absorb the novels for the first time IMO.

At my first read, I think I have seen absolutely nothing. I was just following the story and didn't imagine that there was so many riddles (I think I have only anticipate Jaime as the one who could kill Cersei with his golden hand). 

Once, I discovered on a forum the R+L = J, and then, I realized I couldn't have read nor understood the saga. So I have re-read, and re-read, and re-read, and each time, like others, I discover a new thing that I missed or that I misinterpreted the times before. There are always many details that I haven't yet understood/deciphered. But at my first read, I didn't ask absolutely no question; now, I have a brainstorming quite at each word :P 

I missed that Lysa and Littlefinger were responsible for Jon Arryn's murder, even after reading it.  It wasn't until a re-read that I actually realized what Lysa was talking about.

I also didn't catch on that Robert Strong was really Gregor Clegane, even though several characters had already figured it out.

I knew Arya was Elmar's princess because I remembered that their betrothal was part of the Bridge-crossing deal.

Pretty much the only mystery I actually picked up on was the identity of FArya.

I missed the biggest hint that Daario has dragonblood. Didn't find it until I was doing research to prove he wasn't Euron or Benjen. :D

Initially missed that MMD isn't saying Dany is barren but speaking from her knowledge that Dany will be dragged back to the Dosh Khaleen and never remarry, thus never having a chance to have any more children.

Wasn't til after I finished that I realized Tyrion was going to take Casterly Rock for Dany by going through the sewers.

I'm sure there are others but those are the ones I remember hitting me like a NERF ball to the head.

I did know on my own, from the first book, that Ned was not Jon's father. Took me a bit to put the rest together though.

17 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Initially missed that MMD isn't saying Dany is barren but speaking from her knowledge that Dany will be dragged back to the Dosh Khaleen and never remarry, thus never having a chance to have any more children.

Well, I missed it up until right now, when I read your comment. Thanks!

These prophesies have more weasel words than a software usage agreement. At least the prophesies are CONCISE...

Archived