March Reading 2017

Garett Hornwood

Still contemplating going the non-fiction biography route, but I do have the second book in the Broken Earth Trilogy waiting patiently. The Fifth Season was great and I just confirmed with a friend I trust that the second one, The Obelisk Gate is just as good. So we'll see what happens.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:15 PM, SkynJay said:

FINALLY.  I was starting to think no one would read this book.  Much as I liked Kings of the Wyld this one is really the debut of the year thus far.

Yep, enjoyed this one quite a bit.  I found it more impressive than Too Like the Lightning since Amberlough is more consistent in writing, tone, and characterization.  If I had any complaint it's that the conservative power grab was only shown in bits and pieces through the characters when I might have preferred a little bit more of the bigger picture.  The plot is self-contained, but there's material here for sequels and I hope there are more. 

Finished a few other books since then including Wild Cards 16, New York 2140, and Cold Counsel by Chris Sharp. 

On 3/26/2017 at 6:17 PM, williamjm said:

Just about to start Ian McDonald's Luna : Wolf Moon.

On 3/27/2017 at 4:10 AM, Peadar said:

Yup. Me too :)

21 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Me three! Just started this morning and and loving it so far.

Four more!  Started it last night. 

5 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Let's sing a song of FIVE. I started the Luna book two nights ago.

Excellent! I feel warm. I feel fuzzy, as though I'm not... not alone anymore.

Really enjoying it so far. About 60%

I finished the last 2 books of The Highroad Trilogy, Revolution's Shore and The Price of Ransom by Kate Elliott.  It was OK.  I liked her Crown of Stars and Jaran series better.  Besides, all my space opera has to compete with the Vorkosigan series which sets my bar pretty high.

Now reading a non-fiction book by Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way.

I finished off The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and enjoyed.  I read Home to Our Valleys! by Walter Utt, which was about the return of the Vaudois religious group returning from exile to their home against the forces Louis XIV's France during the beginning of the Nine Years' War, unfortunately the author couldn't decide between nonfiction and historical fiction in his writing style.  And I read Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter by Thomas Cahill, it was a good book for a general reader of history about how the Greeks influenced Western Civilization but if you're more than a general reader you're left wanting something more.

I've started The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Volume III by Edward Gibbon

On 3/27/2017 at 7:08 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Other books I'm currently reading:

Nixonland by Rick Perlstein -- recommended by Brady and Ser Davos, and I have to agree with them that it's a solid take on the rise of Tricky Dick from 1966 through the '72 election. But I did not anticipate how often I'd want to reach through space and time to punch Nixon in the piehole. As such, this is a book I can only handle in small doses.

I picked up Nixonland when it was published back in 2008, afterwards I grabbed Perlstein's Before the Storm and when it was published The Invisible Bridge which are the first and third book in his series.

Archived