The Skagosi and The Others.

Grover Bluejoy

Hey all! Semi-regular lurker, first time poster here so I apologize if this has already been covered or if this is the wrong forum for the topic.

Anyways, I've been re-reading the world book recently, and read how there is obsidian on Skagos, and that the Skagosi have mined it for years. Do you suppose they may harbor some secret about fighting The Others? I know Sam has been tasked with finding as much information about fighting The Others, maybe it's with the Skagosi? Or that they may come to aid the fight with their contribution of obsidian?

What is the distance between Skagos and Eastwatch? When The Others come out and play (and bring the cold with them or Vice Versa), do you suppose they can see the storm in the air over that distance and know what's happening?

I know it's all speculation at this point, since we know so little of the Skagosi, but feel free to shred this idea apart if it sucks or if there is textual evidence I'm missing that may moot this! :) 

11 minutes ago, Grover Bluejoy said:

Hey all! Semi-regular lurker, first time poster here so I apologize if this has already been covered or if this is the wrong forum for the topic.

Anyways, I've been re-reading the world book recently, and read how there is obsidian on Skagos, and that the Skagosi have mined it for years. Do you suppose they may harbor some secret about fighting The Others? I know Sam has been tasked with finding as much information about fighting The Others, maybe it's with the Skagosi? Or that they may come to aid the fight with their contribution of obsidian?

What is the distance between Skagos and Eastwatch? When The Others come out and play (and bring the cold with them or Vice Versa), do you suppose they can see the storm in the air over that distance and know what's happening?

I know it's all speculation at this point, since we know so little of the Skagosi, but feel free to shred this idea apart if it sucks or if there is textual evidence I'm missing that may moot this! :) 

You might find this to be useful. Or not. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

You might find this to be useful. Or not. 

Thanks for the link! Not totally, but definitely some interesting points of discussion in that thread about the Skagosi, with plenty of material from the books I don't remember.

The fact that they mine dragonglass is a big clue they could come to aid in the fight against The Others. I'm wondering if they've known the whole time what's about to go down. Since there are no ships on the island, and trading with them seems to be uncommon, getting the word out to the mainland would be next to impossible for them. Of course, I suppose it could be that they feel they won't be touched by The Long Night 2.0 and harbor deep resentment towards the people of Westeros, and if they know what's going on, could just be saying "Fuck those guys!" and keep their dragonglass to themselves.

The Skagosi do seem to be a bit closer to the old ways of doing things than the rest of the North is. It wouldn't surprise me if Davos will learn some important things there, or learn them from Rickon and Osha who have been living there for several months to a year. 

I noticed that about the dragonglass too. I hope we don't find out that they've mined it all for trade and have none left to fight the Others. That would stink.

Could be that when dragons roamed all of Planetos, they had a home base on Skagos. The obsidian is proof of prior volcanic activity and the dragons do seem to like volcanos. There's a recent thread about that somewhere around here.

Also, hi Grover Bluejoy! 

The fact they are mining dragonglass on Skagos *could* imply that Skagos was an impact site of a moon meteor...  This could have all kinds of possible implications, a lot of which we probably need at least the next book to really tie together.  However, if the Skagosie have a lot of greenseer traits, and Skagos has moon meteor material from an impact, these things might be related.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

The Skagosi do seem to be a bit closer to the old ways of doing things than the rest of the North is. It wouldn't surprise me if Davos will learn some important things there, or learn them from Rickon and Osha who have been living there for several months to a year. 

I noticed that about the dragonglass too. I hope we don't find out that they've mined it all for trade and have none left to fight the Others. That would stink.

Could be that when dragons roamed all of Planetos, they had a home base on Skagos. The obsidian is proof of prior volcanic activity and the dragons do seem to like volcanos. There's a recent thread about that somewhere around here.

Also, hi Grover Bluejoy! 

Hi Lady Blizzardborn!

I remember reading something about Ned's mother or grandmother being from Skagos. Was that ever confirmed, or is it just theory? I remember reading in the World Book there was a Stark who subdued a Skagosi rebellion in the not to distant past and took a daughter from one of their noble families for a wife. If that's the case, then Rickon more than likely has some distant kin on the island, which would make sense for Osha bringing him there.

True, but who do you suppose they would be selling or trading it to and why?

I actually just read that thread, and that is partly what spurned my question about the Skagosi and them possibly being aware of the impending coming of The Others. Looking at the maps, it doesn't appear that the island is that much further off the mainland than Bear Island or the Iron Islands, which led me to wonder if they, say on a clear day, could see the "snow storms" that The Others bring with them. The thread Lost Melnibonean linked brought up the possibility of the wild dragon Cannibal from the Dance with Dragons possibly being still alive on the island, which is a very intriguing idea.

1 hour ago, Tom Cruise said:

The fact they are mining dragonglass on Skagos *could* imply that Skagos was an impact site of a moon meteor...  This could have all kinds of possible implications, a lot of which we probably need at least the next book to really tie together.  However, if the Skagosie have a lot of greenseer traits, and Skagos has moon meteor material from an impact, these things might be related.

Could that be same type of moon meteor the Dayne family sword was forged with? Hmmmmmm.

1 minute ago, Grover Bluejoy said:

Hi Lady Blizzardborn!

I remember reading something about Ned's mother or grandmother being from Skagos. Was that ever confirmed, or is it just theory? I remember reading in the World Book there was a Stark who subdued a Skagosi rebellion in the not to distant past and took a daughter from one of their noble families for a wife. If that's the case, then Rickon more than likely has some distant kin on the island, which would make sense for Osha bringing him there.

True, but who do you suppose they would be selling or trading it to and why?

I actually just read that thread, and that is partly what spurned my question about the Skagosi and them possibly being aware of the impending coming of The Others. Looking at the maps, it doesn't appear that the island is that much further off the mainland than Bear Island or the Iron Islands, which led me to wonder if they, say on a clear day, could see the "snow storms" that The Others bring with them. The thread Lost Melnibonean linked brought up the possibility of the wild dragon Cannibal from the Dance with Dragons possibly being still alive on the island, which is a very intriguing idea.

That turned out to be a theory that was wrong. Ned's mother was Lyarra Stark, daughter of Rodrik Stark and Arya Flint, and a cousin to Rickard. Arya Flint being the one from whom Arya got her name and Bran got his climbing ability.

I couldn't say on either. Dragonglass must have some use other than Other-killing, or there wouldn't be a market for it and the Skagosi couldn't trade it. But we haven't really been given anything that indicates why else it would be valuable. The CotF stopped giving the NW those blades centuries ago. I suppose we need to find out who trades with Skagos in general to find out who is buying the dragonglass.

1 minute ago, Grover Bluejoy said:

Could that be same type of moon meteor the Dayne family sword was forged with? Hmmmmmm.

Has the fallen star been changed to a moon meteor? I didn't get that memo. ;)

Just now, Lady Blizzardborn said:

That turned out to be a theory that was wrong. Ned's mother was Lyarra Stark, daughter of Rodrik Stark and Arya Flint, and a cousin to Rickard. Arya Flint being the one from whom Arya got her name and Bran got his climbing ability.

Got it. I thought I remember seeing how it was disproven, but I wasn't 100% on that.

I couldn't say on either. Dragonglass must have some use other than Other-killing, or there wouldn't be a market for it and the Skagosi couldn't trade it. But we haven't really been given anything that indicates why else it would be valuable. The CotF stopped giving the NW those blades centuries ago. I suppose we need to find out who trades with Skagos in general to find out who is buying the dragonglass.

True. We do know the glass candles we found out about in AFFC is obsidian, so they more than likely posses at least one other magical principal/property. Maybe that Maester has been secretly trading with them? Logistically, that wouldn't make much sense, since they could procure it so much easier from closer places like Dragonstone, but I suppose if they are wanting to keep it hush hush, getting it from an island people everyone is scared of would be a wise move.

Has the fallen star been changed to a moon meteor? I didn't get that memo. ;)

Haha, well I just quoting what the other person said. Moon meteor, magic rocks, four leaf clovers, it's all magically delicious.

5 hours ago, Grover Bluejoy said:

One of my pet theories is that the Skagosi will indeed play a part in the battles to come, against the WW, the army of the dead, and maybe even a few human foes. We have, for instance, Cotter Pyke tell Jon in a letter that one or two of the ships they took to Hardhome went aground on Skane iirc, and Davos thinking about a Lyseni ship on Skagos... So, those ships will be great to bring and army of warriors from Skagos and Skane, and the easiest route will be to land on EbtS. :)

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

One of my pet theories is that the Skagosi will indeed play a part in the battles to come, against the WW, the army of the dead, and maybe even a few human foes. We have, for instance, Cotter Pyke tell Jon in a letter that one or two of the ships they took to Hardhome went aground on Skane iirc, and Davos thinking about a Lyseni ship on Skagos... So, those ships will be great to bring and army of warriors from Skagos and Skane, and the easiest route will be to land on EbtS. :)

Good catch! I never really thought too much about the Skagosi until reading the thread about Dragons and volcanic activity. GRRM seems to be really fond of hiding clues in plain sight.

Just now, Grover Bluejoy said:

Good catch! I never really thought too much about the Skagosi until reading the thread about Dragons and volcanic activity. GRRM seems to be really fond of hiding clues in plain sight.

He's the :devil:!!!

26 minutes ago, Grover Bluejoy said:

Got it. I thought I remember seeing how it was disproven, but I wasn't 100% on that.

True. We do know the glass candles we found out about in AFFC is obsidian, so they more than likely posses at least one other magical principal/property. Maybe that Maester has been secretly trading with them? Logistically, that wouldn't make much sense, since they could procure it so much easier from closer places like Dragonstone, but I suppose if they are wanting to keep it hush hush, getting it from an island people everyone is scared of would be a wise move.

Haha, well I just quoting what the other person said. Moon meteor, magic rocks, four leaf clovers, it's all magically delicious.

Funny. I just used that term on another thread. :D

32 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I am thinking there might be an army led by Robett Glover and augmented by Skagossons on shaggy unicorns between the White Harbor and Winterfell right now :)

16 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Funny. I just used that term on another thread. :D

Well, great minds, right?

16 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I am thinking there might be an army led by Robett Glover and augmented by Skagossons on shaggy unicorns between the White Harbor and Winterfell right now :)

Yes!

14 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I'm down with anything that brings unicorns and SHAGGY! :P

Maybe Shaggy will lead the unicorns? :) 

On 01/03/2017 at 6:09 PM, Grover Bluejoy said:

Welcome to the forums!:cheers:

Skagos is a dormant or extinct volcano, which explains its shape, topography, and the obsidion.

I'm certain that the Skagosi do have knowledge pertinant to the fight against the Others, even if it's just a dedicated obsidion-equipped fighting force or something.

I posted something a while ago which touched on the relationship between the Skagosi and the Ibbenese, although I confess I didn't flesh it out much. It doesn't directly relate to this topic but you might find it interesting. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/141326-a-theory-on-the-ifeqevron/

I think Skagos is going to be important soon: Rickon and Osha are there, it's a good way for GRRM to conveniently boost the Northern troop numbers, and it's possible that during the Long Night II it'll be connected to the mainland by sea ice, which would change the whole dynamic considerably.

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

So the book ends with Skagossi unicorn cavalry armed with obsidian lances riding in and destroying the Others? Got it.

I'm going with theory that the Skagossi "unicorns" are actually Wooly Rhinos now extinct throughout the North.

It'll be quite a memorable moment when Rickon on Shaggydog is riding at the head of the Skagossi Rhinos charging to the rescue , Davos jogging behind them "Wait for me!"

Archived