Moments of Foreshadowing v.12

Lost Melnibonean

Somewhere in the great stone maze of Winterfell, a wolf howled. The sound hung over the castle like a flag of mourning.

Tyrion Lannister looked up from his books and shivered, though the library was snug and warm. Something about the howling of a wolf took a man right out of his here and now and left him in a dark forest of the mind, running naked before the pack.

Tyrion I, Game 9

Tyrion will be left running naked before the pack, Nymeria's pack. 

This is so true in more than one story line :D

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion VI

Haldon raised an eyebrow. "High Priest of the red temple in Volantis. Flame of Truth, Light of Wisdom, First Servant of the Lord of Light, Slave of R'hllor."
The only red priest Tyrion had ever known was Thoros of Myr, the portly, genial, wine-stained roisterer who had loitered about Robert's court swilling the king's finest vintages and setting his sword on fire for mêlées. "Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical," he told Haldon, "the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble."

Jaime Lannister regarded his brother thoughtfully with those cool green eyes. "Stark will never consent to leave Winterfell with his son lingering in the shadow of death."

"He will if Robert commands it," Tyrion said. "And Robert will command it. There is nothing Lord Eddard can do for the boy in any case."

"He could end his torment," Jaime said. "I would, if it were my son. It would be a mercy."

Tyrion I, Game 9

Jaime will euthanize one or both of his remaining offspring. 

Grey Wind was at his side.

"Uncle Benjen is looking for you," he told Jon. "He wanted to be gone an hour ago."

"I know," Jon said. "Soon." He looked around at all the noise and confusion. "Leaving is harder than I thought.""For me too," Robb said. He had snow in his hair, melting from the heat of his body.

Jon II, Game 10

"She has more courage than she knows," said Sam. "So do you, Sam. Have a swift, safe voyage, and take care of her and Aemon and the child." The cold trickles on his face reminded Jon of the day he'd bid farewell to Robb at Winterfell, never knowing that it was for the last time.

"And pull your hood up. The snowflakes are melting in your hair."

Jon II, Dance 7

Samwell is toast. 

Robb looked relieved. "Good." He smiled. "The next time I see you, you'll be all in black."

Jon forced himself to smile back. "It was always my color." 

Jon II, Game 10

Jon will ride Drogon. 

Jon messed up her hair. “I will miss you, little sister.”

Suddenly she looked like she was going to cry. “I wish you were coming with us.”

“Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle. Who knows?” He was feeling betternow.

Jon II, Game 10

Jon and Arya will be reunited, but where? Winterfell? 

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

But not in a bad way. More of a reclaimed way. A flushing of the rats, like Bloodraven in King's Landing :D

Uhhhhh, that sounds horrifying!!!

Every word was treason. Even so, it was a shock to see him here, with holes where his eyes had been.

Most of the tales were only tales, Dunk did not doubt, but no one could doubt that Bloodraven had informers everywhere.

A reign of terror is a bad way...

This...

Illyrio waved a languid hand in the air, rings glittering on his fat fingers. "I have told you, all is settled. Trust me. The khal has promised you a crown, and you shall have it."

Daenerys II, Game 11

Foreshadows this...

When the gold was half-melted and starting to run, Drogo reached into the flames, snatched out the pot. "Crown!" he roared. "Here. A crown for Cart King!" And upended the pot over the head of the man who had been her brother.

Daenerys V, Game 46

This...

Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. "You woke the dragon," he screamed as he kicked her. "You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon." Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid... until the day of her wedding came at last.

Daenerys II, Game 11

Foreshadows this...

She heard a crack, the sound of shattering stone. ...

And there came a second crack, loud and sharp as thunder, and the smoke stirred and whirled around her and the pyre shifted, the logs exploding as the fire touched their secret hearts. I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don't you see? Don't you SEE? ... Unafraid, Dany stepped forward into the firestorm, calling to her children.

The third crack was as loud and sharp as the breaking of the world.

Daenerys II, Game 11

And this...

The silver horse leapt the flames as if she had wings.

Daenerys II, Game 11

Foreshadows this...

Daenerys Targaryen vaulted onto the dragon's back, seized the spear, and ripped it out. The point was half-melted, the iron red-hot, glowing. She flung it aside. Drogon twisted under her, his muscles rippling as he gathered his strength. The air was thick with sand. Dany could not see, she could not breathe, she could not think. The black wings cracked like thunder, and suddenly the scarlet sands were falling away beneath her.

Dizzy, Dany closed her eyes. When she opened them again, she glimpsed the Meereenese beneath her through a haze of tears and dust, pouring up the steps and out into the streets.

The lash was still in her hand. She flicked it against Drogon's neck and cried, "Higher! " Her other hand clutched at his scales, her fingers scrabbling for purchase. Drogon's wide black wings beat the air. Dany could feel the heat of him between her thighs. Her heart felt as if it were about to burst. Yes, she thought, yes, now, now, do it, do it, take me, take me, FLY!

Daenerys IX, Dance 52

This...

"My legs are short and twisted, and I walk with difficulty. I require a special saddle to keep from falling off my horse. A saddle of my own design, you may be interested to know. It was either that or ride a pony."

Tyrion II, Game 13

Sets up this...

"I have a gift for you," the dwarf said to Bran. "Do you like to ride, boy?"

Maester Luwin came forward. "My lord, the child has lost the use of his legs. He cannot sit a horse."

"Nonsense," said Lannister. "With the right horse and the right saddle, even a cripple can ride."

The word was a knife through Bran's heart. He felt tears come unbidden to his eyes. "I'm not a cripple!"

"Then I am not a dwarf," the dwarf said with a twist of his mouth. "My father will rejoice to hear it." Greyjoy laughed.

"What sort of horse and saddle are you suggesting," Maester Luwin asked.

"A smart horse," Lannister replied. "The boy cannot use his legs to command the animal, so you must shape the horse to the rider, teach it to respond to the reins, to the voice. I would begin with an unbroken yearling, with no old training to be unlearned." He drew a rolled paper from his belt. "Give this to your saddler. He will provide the rest."

Maester Luwin took the paper from the dwarfs hand, curious as a small grey squirrel. He unrolled it, studied it. "I see. You draw nicely, my lord. Yes, this ought to work. I should have thought of this myself."

"It came easier to me, Maester. It is not terribly unlike my own saddles."

"Will I truly be able to ride?" Bran asked. He wanted to believe them, but he was afraid. Perhaps it was just another lie. The crow had promised him that he could fly.

"You will," the dwarf told him. "And I swear to you, boy, on horseback you will be as tall as any of them."

Bran IV, Game 24

Does that, and this...

... Her bare legs tightened around the dragon's neck. She kicked him, and Drogon threw himself into the sky. Her whip was gone, so she used her hands and feet and turned him north by east, the way the scout had gone. Drogon went willingly enough; perhaps he smelled the rider's fear.

Daenerys X, Dance 71

Foreshadow that Tyrion will construct a special saddle to mount Viserys?

ETA

If so, then this...

"What are you reading about?" he asked.

"Dragons," Tyrion told him.

"What good is that? There are no more dragons," the boy said with the easy certainty of youth.

"So they say," Tyrion replied. "Sad, isn't it? When I was your age, used to dream of having a dragon of my own."

"You did?" the boy said suspiciously. Perhaps he thought Tyrion was making fun of him.

"Oh, yes. Even a stunted, twisted, ugly little boy can look down over the world when he's seated on a dragon's back." Tyrion pushed the bearskin aside and climbed to his feet. "I used to start fires in the bowels of Casterly Rock and stare at the flames for hours, pretending they were dragonfire. Sometimes I'd imagine my father burning. At other times, my sister." Jon Snow was staring at him, a look equal parts horror and fascination. Tyrion guffawed. "Don't look at me that way, bastard. I know your secret. You've dreamt the same kind of dreams."

Tyrion II, Game 13

Might foreshadow Jon riding Rhaegal. (But Jon will ride Drogon.) 

ETA II

A little more on Jon possibly dreaming of dragonfire...

The squirrel gave some body to the stew, and they ate it with black bread and hard cheese that night around their fire. Tyrion shared around his skin of wine until even Yoren grew more mellow. One by one the company drifted off to their shelters and to sleep, all but Jon Snow, who had drawn the night's first watch.

Tyrion was the last to retire, as always. As he stepped into the shelter his men had built for him, he paused and looked back at Jon Snow. The boy stood near the fire, his face still and hard, looking deep into the flames.

Tyrion II, Game 13

"I do not think Bran fell from that tower," she said into the stillness. "I think he was thrown."

The shock was plain on their faces. "My lady, that is a monstrous suggestion," said Rodrik Cassel. "Even the Kingslayer would flinch at the murder of an innocent child."

"Oh, would he?" Theon Greyjoy asked. "I wonder."

Catelyn  III, Game 14

Foreshadows...

"I know where Bran and Rickon are hiding now."

"Prince Theon," Maester Luwin entreated, "you will remember your promise? Mercy, you said."

"Mercy was for this morning," said Theon. It is better to be feared than laughed at. "Before they made me angry."

Theon IV, Clash 50

Daenerys IX ADWD:

"Beasts were still allowed, though. Dany watched an elephant make short work of a pack of six red wolves. Next a bull was set against a bear in a bloody battle that left both animals torn and dying"

I don't know, but I feel like this animal imagery is foreshadowing something that will happen in the forthcoming books. Elephant as the Gonden Company? Pack of red wolves... I don't know. Connington wears a red wolf cloak. There are very few mentions to "red wolves" in the books, twice in Dany's chapters (the one above, and once when the Shavepate suggests maybe a red wolf killed the girl Hazzea) and the others in Tyrions chapters all about Connington's cloak. Maybe the Golden Company will turn against the Griffin? Why would that be? And why six wolves? Is there any heraldry in the 7K with red wolves for a sigil? Tyrion does tell us the red wolf is Rhoynar, maybe the GC will fight the dornish and defeat them easily? 

And then the bull and the bear, both almost dead after a battle... maybe a battle between some of the men in BwB led by Gendry versus northmen led by a Mormonth? 

Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all, but I can't take that image away from my head. 

3 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

Daenerys IX ADWD:

"Beasts were still allowed, though. Dany watched an elephant make short work of a pack of six red wolves. Next a bull was set against a bear in a bloody battle that left both animals torn and dying"

I don't know, but I feel like this animal imagery is foreshadowing something that will happen in the forthcoming books. Elephant as the Gonden Company? Pack of red wolves... I don't know. Connington wears a red wolf cloak. There are very few mentions to "red wolves" in the books, twice in Dany's chapters (the one above, and once when the Shavepate suggests maybe a red wolf killed the girl Hazzea) and the others in Tyrions chapters all about Connington's cloak. Maybe the Golden Company will turn against the Griffin? Why would that be? And why six wolves? Is there any heraldry in the 7K with red wolves for a sigil? Tyrion does tell us the red wolf is Rhoynar, maybe the GC will fight the dornish and defeat them easily? 

And then the bull and the bear, both almost dead after a battle... maybe a battle between some of the men in BwB led by Gendry versus northmen led by a Mormonth? 

Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all, but I can't take that image away from my head. 

Several threads back, @Fire Eater suggested the bull represented Victarion, and the bear was Jorah. @Isobel Harper has a thread on the red wolves of the Rhoyne.

Archived