US Politics: Lock Him Up!

Fragile Bird

Hey. Nobody opened the thread yet. :P

Carry on!

eta: there are several candidates I had in mind. But Pence, using private email, that was hacked, for confidential matters related to Homeland security when governor fits quite nicely.

It's good news that Sessions recused himself. Nonetheless, a special prosecutor is needed. I saw a CNN article this morning calling for a select committee, like Watergate; that's not good enough. I don't want Congress anywhere near the investigation. Truly independent investigation is needed.

Not exactly. It is true that nearly all Republicans are supporters of Second Amendment rights, but I have not seen the kind of comments made regarding Trump made about any other Republican nor have I seen other Republicans speak the way Trump does (recall his joke about rigged elections and Second Amendment people).

2008 wasn't that long ago, Trump is just doing what Sarah Palin did, but he has a penis.  And what happened to 'ol "non-establishment" Sarah?  Oh that's right, she got hired by Fox and started getting paid bigly to take her stupidity on the road.

Trump is absolutely, 100% establishment.  He's a fucking self proclaimed billionaire that has been donating and working with the government for decades.  The whole outsider schtick has always been a con for the gullible. 

So it's been confirmed that one of Sessions meetings with the Russian Ambassador took place at the Republican National Convention. It's one thing to try and spin a meeting in Sessions' office as not having anything to do with the campaign, but this is pretty damning and it creates a direct link between Russia and Trump's campaign. 

@Jaxom 1974,

Pence is in no way toxic to Congressional Republicans, assuming he did nothing wrong (and from everything I've seen that would be the case). In fact, I suspect more than 90% of Congressional Republicans would prefer him over Trump.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pence is in no way toxic to Congressional Republicans, assuming he did nothing wrong (and from everything I've seen that would be the case). In fact, I suspect more than 90% of Congressional Republicans would prefer him over Trump.

Congressional Republicans are going to be INCREDIBLY reluctant to replace Trump with Pence, even if Pence would be more helpful towards their agenda.  Because Trump is never never going to go quietly, and most Republicans are far more vulnerable to a primary challenge than they are to a general election defeat.  Even if they were successful in removing Trump, it won't be quick and they should expect Trump voters to be openly hostile to the Republican establishment in 2018 and 2020.  If they failed to remove Trump, the Bully Pulpit will be squarely aimed at them and a primary defeat is almost inevitable. 

I have no faith whatsoever in the integrity Republicans in Congress (particularly the House) to stand up to Trump.  A few of them will talk the talk, but do nothing much.  The rest don't even go that far. 

4 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm not sure what the worst part of the Pence email story is:  the fact that he used a personal email for conducting state business and was hacked, then had the temerity to criticize Clinton for the same thing, or that his personal email account is a fucking AOL account in 2013 fer Chrissake.

I'm gonna be honest it was that bit that made me think WFT?

Its old person-itis, I presume a lot of politicians dont understand vulnerabilities with these new fangled devices and tools like phones and e-mails.

I would never send work related emails from a personal account, but then again, I have a work computer and a home computer. And two different interfaces like Outlook and a web browser or app for the two kinds of e-mails. Not sure if governor's get their own 'work' computers, and if these errors are just incompetence or something more nefarious.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/trump_great_lakes_epa_cuts.html

The White House is proposing to slash Environmental Protection Agency funding that pays for Great Lakes pollution cleanup by 97 percent, according to a budget document obtained by the National Association of Clean Air Agencies.

The potential cuts are part of President Donald Trump's initial 2018 budget proposal, detailed in a U.S. Office of Management and Budget "passback" to the EPA that outlines drastic cuts to an agency Trump has called a "job killer" and promised to reduce to "tidbits" as a candidate.

The proposal would virtually eliminate annual Great Lakes Restoration Initiative (GLRI) funding, slashing it from $300 million to $10 million among other cuts that would altogether reduce the EPA's total budget by a quarter.

Time to find out what all those newly Republican voters in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania really think about their chosen party.

16 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm not sure what the worst part of the Pence email story is:  the fact that he used a personal email for conducting state business and was hacked, then had the temerity to criticize Clinton for the same thing, or that his personal email account is a fucking AOL account in 2013 fer Chrissake.

AOL is big with Conservatives.

There's been an arrest made in the recent wave of threats against JCCs. Authorities don't believe this person is responsible for all threats though; only some of them.

The person arrested is: Juan Thompson. That reporter who'd been fired for making up fake reports for The Intercept.

Seriously.

I remember seeing yesterday or two days ago that the FBI believes that a large number of the threats have been made by one or more people who are overseas. Although obviously the cemeteries that were vandalized required people who are physically in the country.

ETA: Apparently Thompson was making his threats as part of an elaborate stalking campaign against a woman he previously had a relationship with; and his threats were probably copycating the initial JCC threats.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Time to find out what all those newly Republican voters in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania really think about their chosen party.

They're about to realize that they LIKE having clean rivers and air without all the dead fish washing up on Lake Erie or the Cuyahoga catching on fire, which is what started the environmental cleanup in the first place. 

Erie went from horribly polluted to having one of the finest parks in the East. Presque Isle is truly a gem. Lake Erie went from being considered dead in the 60's to a vibrant tourist destination. 

I'm from Pittsburgh and I can tell you that it's no longer Hell With the Lid Off. After the steel industry collapsed we cleaned up and we've done a pretty damned good job of it. The rivers are finally recovering and it pisses me off no end that they'll be able to pollute to their hearts' content, and I know I'm not the only one. We love our river trails, boating, jetskiing, waterskiing and just enjoying a clean city. In 2013, for the first time in over 150 years, bald eagles nested here. They don't do that without a clean water source. 

I'm sure that people in Cleveland feel the same way. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Congressional Republicans are going to be INCREDIBLY reluctant to replace Trump with Pence, even if Pence would be more helpful towards their agenda.  Because Trump is never never going to go quietly, and most Republicans are far more vulnerable to a primary challenge than they are to a general election defeat.  Even if they were successful in removing Trump, it won't be quick and they should expect Trump voters to be openly hostile to the Republican establishment in 2018 and 2020.  If they failed to remove Trump, the Bully Pulpit will be squarely aimed at them and a primary defeat is almost inevitable. 

I have no faith whatsoever in the integrity Republicans in Congress (particularly the House) to stand up to Trump.  A few of them will talk the talk, but do nothing much.  The rest don't even go that far. 

Oh I agree. I was just pointing out to Jax that Pence has a really good relationship with Congressional Republicans. 

54 minutes ago, Fez said:

Interesting times.  The Great Lake States get might protective of them.  I am curious as to what affect this might also have in Wisconsin.  I mean, that really messes with the fresh water fishing industry too.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Jaxom 1974,

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh I agree. I was just pointing out to Jax that Pence has a really good relationship with Congressional Republicans. 

Kinda what I wanted to drive at though.  If he's the preferred person, at this point, with the mounting Russian issues for Trump and his cronies, isn't it time to begin finding that wedge to separate themselves from the current administration?  The rising noise makes things harder and harder for them as Congress keeps getting asked about that instead of working towards what they want. 

Mind you, if this email thin goes anywhere, what are the odds Pence goes away before Trump...?

Thought I'd share this. I am a good friend (pen pal, you might say) with a Muslim from Egypt. I asked him how the feel about Trump over there. He said certain parts of the government support him, but the majority, like here, hate him. I asked if he had any worries with Trump the POTUS. His response.  I think the only one that should be worried is the US, everyone else thinks he's a joke. Sums it up pretty well. I asked if he was worried about a major war. He said, no. That there are too many level headed people in the US government to let Trump do anything too extreme. Just thought it interesting to get the view of a Muslim from outside the US. Interesting I thought.

3 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Love the thread title.   :)

Personally I would have gone with:

U.S. Politics: Trump & Russia Love Sessions

2 hours ago, Fez said:

The transition to Brawndo begins.

In the last thread I asked a question about a law about lying to committees.

I saw an interview with some congressmen on CNN where he said 'this is exactly why we passed a law making it illegal for members of the Executive branch to lie to Congressional committees' and then he quoted a statute number. He may have said Congressional and Senate committees.

I will write down the statute number if I hear it quoted again.

Archived