US Politics: Lock Him Up!

Fragile Bird

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sure, but that's still troubling and potentially illegal. That's part and parcel of how the Russian's get their hooks in you. The banks are all tied to the State or to Gangster Cronyism and the like. That the motivation was probably financial doesn't shield him in anyway.

Trump already has a fraud conviction.  I think the illegality bothers him less than the world finding out that he is basically broke. 

1 minute ago, Fez said:

The full bill is out now. I don't see how it passes the reconciliation rules or the Senate. Not sure it can pass the House either.

You realize that the refundable tax credit is basically a huge step in the direction of single payer.  They have the version though that caps it at income levels of $75K, I think, which will limit the expenditure.  It will still be huge and doesn't really solve ANY of the structural problems.  Le sigh.

55 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Damned disgusting. Don't know what else to say. 

In other less explicitly disgusting news CNN just reported a part-repeal Bill has been introduced.

House Republicans introduced their bill to repeal Obamacare's individual mandate.

The measure would restructure the country's Medicaid program so that states receive a set amount of money from the federal government every year. It would also offer individuals refundable tax credits to purchase health insurance, all of which experts have warned could result in millions of people losing access to insurance they received under the Affordable Care Act.

The GOP's plan largely would keep Obamacare's protections of those with pre-existing conditions and would allow children to stay on their parents' plans until the age of 26. But the measure also allows insurers to charge higher premiums to those who let their coverage lapse and includes a provision to strip all federal funding for Planned Parenthood.

Two House committees are expected to vote on the measure as early as Wednesday, according to aides and committee members.

No reason this shouldn't pass, unless the conservatives think it doesn't do enough repealing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/05/us/politics/koch-brothers-affordable-care-act.html

Well, it looks like our libertarian feudal overlords are getting impatient with ACA repeal.

Saying their patience is at an end, conservative activist groups backed by the billionaire Koch brothers and other powerful interests on the right are mobilizing to pressure Republicans to fulfill their promise to swiftly repeal the Affordable Care Act.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I admit that I find nothing shocking about this.  Rape culture in the military is INTENSE.   Nearly every military rape victim I know was bullied and harassed if they even suggested they'd press charges.  Many get doxxed and have character attacks tossed their way.  The stories told in a survivors group I'm part of are horrifying.  

Monday, the bill was released without any Congressional Budget Office score, a sign that Republicans may be worried about the fallout once Americans understand how many people could be affected by changes in coverage.

A sign that the Republican Party may be just full of crap.

55 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

No reason this shouldn't pass, unless the conservatives think it doesn't do enough repealing.

Sounds like the hard right has already dubbed this Obamacare Lite while shifting Medicaid to block grants fundamentally changes the program in a way almost no Democrat will ever vote for (not to mention the tax credits being age rather than income-based).  Moreover, ending the Medicaid expansion of the ACA has already met resistance from GOP senators in states that took the expansion.  Not a good start.

5 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Sounds like the hard right has already dubbed this Obamacare Lite while shifting Medicaid to block grants fundamentally changes the program in a way almost no Democrat will ever vote for (not to mention the tax credits being age rather than income-based).  Moreover, ending the Medicaid expansion of the ACA has already met resistance from GOP senators in states that took the expansion.  Not a good start.

Does the Republican congress have a strong history of rebuffing their president's legislative agenda? I expect some of the R's to be all bluff and bluster, but in the end to fall into line. 

12 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

A sign that the Republican Party may be just full of crap.

What's worse is that committees are going to vote on it before the CBO can score it. I don't see how this passes Senate.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

Does the Republican congress have a strong history of rebuffing their president's legislative agenda? I expect some of the R's to be all bluff and bluster, but in the end to fall into line. 

Well, the right rebelled against Bush on immigration reform (not to mention Harriet Miers) - although they did bend over on the Medicare Drug entitlement.  I don't think comparing the current Republican caucus to any other GOP presidents' post-FDR is particularly useful given the rise of polarization.

Oh, I forgot about the Kook brothers and ACA repeal:

A few years back, when the Kook brothers wanted Friedich Hayek, the original austerity fuhrer himself and author of The Road To Libertarian Horseshit, to shill for them here in the US, Charles Kook tried to sell Hayek on Social Security and Medicare as a reason to come to the US.

https://www.thenation.com/article/charles-koch-friedrich-hayek-use-social-security/

A few weeks later, the institute reported the good news: Professor Hayek had indeed opted into Social Security while he was teaching at Chicago and had paid into the program for ten years. He was eligible for benefits. On August 10, 1973, Koch wrote a letter appealing to Hayek to accept a shorter stay at the IHS, hard-selling Hayek on Social Security’s retirement benefits, which Koch encouraged Hayek to draw on even outside America. He also assured Hayek that Medicare, which had been created in 1965 by the Social Security amendments as part of Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society programs, would cover his medical needs.

Koch writes: “You may be interested in the information that we uncovered on the insurance and other benefits that would be available to you in this country. Since you have paid into the United States Social Security Program for a full forty quarters, you are entitled to Social Security payments while living anywhere in the Free World. Also, at any time you are in the United States, you are automatically entitled to hospital coverage.”

Just now, Mexal said:

What's worse is that committees are going to vote on it before the CBO can score it. I don't see how this passes Senate.

I guess it's one of them thar conservative faith based initiatives, in other words, "We'll just keep our fingers crossed and hope it works itself out."

2 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You realize that the refundable tax credit is basically a huge step in the direction of single payer.  They have the version though that caps it at income levels of $75K, I think, which will limit the expenditure.  It will still be huge and doesn't really solve ANY of the structural problems.  Le sigh.

A couple of days ago on NPR they were talking to someone in the House Freedom Cacus, and they hate the refundable tax credit because it's an entitlement (according to them) and word for word "not conservative enough."

I about ran off the road laffing so hard!  Score one for @OldGimletEye!

12 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yeah I don't see how Portman, Murkowski or Collins would vote for it, unless they're in line for some yuge pork/logrolling.

The Republican plan would offer tax credits ranging from $2,000 per year for those under 30 to $4,000 per year for those over 60. The full credit would be available for individuals earning up to $75,000 a year and up to $150,000 for married couples filing jointly. The credits would phase out for individuals earning more — for each $1,000 in additional income, a person would be entitled to $100 less in credit, meaning a 61-year old could make up to $115,100 and still receive some credit.

From the WaPo article.  This has the unique ability in being unpalatable to libertarians and the hard right for creating an income cap and effectively being an "entitlement," unsupportable by anyone on the left because the credits are still age-based rather than focused on providing for those in economic need, and unpopular on its face since it doesn't take a budget scorer to know this will render millions of people's current plans unaffordable.  Nice work GOP Congress!

34 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Oh, I forgot about the Kook brothers and ACA repeal:

A few years back, when the Kook brothers wanted Friedich Hayek, the original austerity fuhrer himself and author of The Road To Libertarian Horseshit, to shill for them here in the US, Charles Kook tried to sell Hayek on Social Security and Medicare as a reason to come to the US.

https://www.thenation.com/article/charles-koch-friedrich-hayek-use-social-security/

Hey why not?  The big  libertarian hero Ayn Rand even went on SS and Medicare before she died.  It's what those hypocrites do.

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

Hey why not?  The big  libertarian hero Ayn Rand even went on SS and Medicare before she died.  It's what those hypocrites do.

Guess they weren't conservative enough.

Archived