What to do with old DVD's and books.

BigFatCoward

13 hours ago, Ormond said:

Isn't it true that things are going in and out of streaming services like Netflix all of the time? If there is a film you really, really like and know you will want to see over again some day, isn't it safer to own a DVD than to rely on whatever streaming service you subscribe to still having it available in the future? (I would suppose the more obscure and less generally popular the film, the greater the chance would be of it disappearing from streaming services.)

I wouldn't know but expect that older, more obscure movies are not available or at least that one cannot count on that. Heck, some are not even easily available on DVD! About two years ago I tried the Streaming service included in German Amazon Prime and was disappointed because they lacked quite a bit I would have liked to see, also often no original language versions so I unsubscribed after the testing period. I am not really into movies anyway but into (mostly classical) music and while there is a lot of that available on streaming services or youtube I have been collecting discs for almost 30 years since I was a teenager and I am not going to give that up.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:44 AM, larrytheimp said:

I buy both used DVDs and used books all the time.  

However I think the best response to the question: "what do I do with this field of DVDs and books I've collected?  I tend the fields!"

is

"then who better to burn them?"

I posted this for no reason other than to inform you that what you did there did not went unnoticed...

I'm late to this topic (and it won't help BFC at all!) but I use http://www.paperbackswap.com to swap books so that I'm not keeping many--I prefer having the available space in my apartment rather than storing too many books. The swap site works great, you send a book out and you can have a book sent to you in return (it works with credits so you can request a book at any time) but it is for US members only. I also sell books. Between the two I don't have to get rid of too many books. any left I can just put out on my stoop and some other Brooklynite will generally pick it up. 

• 1 month later...

Where I live there is a chain of used bookstores. I bet there are some where you live too.

I get to sell them for cash or use them for trade. I've got at least $200 on my account now, and they only charge me about half the price when I come in to buy. They accept DVDs and records and of course books.

I would search for one near you. They might have trade!

Archived