Dragon Glass and Eye Color

NorthernXY

On a recent reread I noticed that the dragon glass Stannis mentions on Dragonstone: black, red, green, and purple matches the magical eye colors, corresponds to magical people's eye color.  Jojen has green, Jon black, Melisandre red, and Dany purple.  Is this something I'm looking too much into or is there something here to explore?

Well Jon technically has grey eyes not black, even if they may be very dark, and one of the most powerful magical people's eye colour isn't represented - ie. Bran and blue. So I am not sure about the connection with dragonglass.

I think there might be something in red eyed people/albinos though. As well as Mel, there is Bloodraven, Ghost, the weirwoods and the Ghost of High Heart. Also Euron's banner.

2 hours ago, NorthernXY said:

Jon black

2 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Well Jon technically has grey eyes not black, even if they may be very dark

One thing that I have noticed about Jon's eye color is their similarity with Egg’s eye color.

Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see.

Egg had big eyes, and somehow his shaven head made them look even larger. In the dimness of the lamplit cellar they looked black, but in better light their true colour could be seen: deep and dark and purple. Valyrian eyes.

And this is just one of the similarities between Jon and Egg.

I don't think there are any particular ties with the characters and their eye colors. Dragonglass is more important with regards to combating the White Walkers, and also, the still very vague, Dragonclass Candles that had never burned, but are lit by the end of ADWD.

31 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Bran is a God in training something that most likely is connected with his Stark or First men blood. When as far as I recall we have no clue that SR has any powers at all.

Mainly two things, but they're thin as far as textual evidence.

1. He's repeatedly described as a weak and sickly child. In GRRM's writing style that probably means he won't die and will be important somehow.
  2. Seizures were originally thought to be possession, so I think in a sense of irony GRRM's had the Maesters consider his seizures caused by his health, but I think they're caused by spirits of CotF inside his weirwood throne trying to posses him like Bran does Hodor, because he's wick and sickly so maybe eventually they can. If his seizures don't happen again after leaving the Eyrie it would definitely mean something screwy was going on there.

8 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:
  • He's repeatedly described as a weak and sickly child. In GRRM's writing style that probably means he won't die and will be important somehow.

That doesn't mean magically powerful enough to be as powerful as a god in training.

9 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:
  1. Seizures were originally thought to be possession, so I think in a sense of irony GRRM's had the Maesters consider his seizures caused by his health, but I think they're caused by spirits of CotF inside his weirwood throne trying to posses him like Bran does Hodor, because he's wick and sickly so maybe eventually they can. If his seizures don't happen again after leaving the Eyrie it would definitely mean something screwy was going on there.

That would mean that he is possessed like, he is just a vessel Hodor. Bran is much more than that. Also Bran’s powers seem to come from his father’s DNA and SR has nothing to do with Ned.

1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

That doesn't mean magically powerful enough to be as powerful as a god in training.

That would mean that he is possessed like, he is just a vessel Hodor. Bran is much more than that. Also Bran’s powers seem to come from his father’s DNA and SR has nothing to do with Ned.

I never said I had textual evidence for it. I'm just familiar with GRRM's style. The only real textual evidence is in AGOT when we first meet him and he knows several things he really shouldn't know, potentially implying he learned them in dreams. He's essentially a cripple like Bran and knowing GRRM I just think he'll be a powerful skinchanger / greenseer.  Textually there's only evidence he's had dreams and/or visions that revealed information nobody was likely to tell him and he shouldn't know, like remembering Catelyn from seeing her in infancy.

57 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Bran is a God in training something that most likely is connected with his Stark or First men blood. When as far as I recall we have no clue that SR has any powers at all.

Blackwood blood may be key. That's the First Men component in Bloodraven.

8 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

I never said I had textual evidence for it. I'm just familiar with GRRM's style. The only real textual evidence is in AGOT when we first meet him and he knows several things he really shouldn't know, potentially implying he learned them in dreams. He's essentially a cripple like Bran and knowing GRRM I just think he'll be a powerful skinchanger / greenseer.  Textually there's only evidence he's had dreams and/or visions that revealed information nobody was likely to tell him and he shouldn't know, like remembering Catelyn from seeing her in infancy.

I'm going to need quotes on things he knows that he shouldn't. 

He hasn't mentioned any dreams that I recall, and that does tend to come up when someone has been messed with by Bloodraven or the CotF. Even Euron mentions a crow telling him he could fly.

He wouldn't be the first kid who created a false memory based on information given to him by others. Or to say he remembered something he really didn't. Like when I'm reminded of something I learned about an event which occurred before my birth and I say "oh yeah, I remember that." I'm not referring to remembering the actual event, but to remembering that it happened or remembering having learned about it.

Or he could have high natural intelligence that's never been developed. Generally highly intelligent people can remember things further back than most people can.

I'm good with him surviving, but I see zero evidence of skinchanging or greenseeing ability. If he had it, we'd be getting strong hints. And it's probably the Blackwood blood Bran has (and Sweetrobin doesn't) that gives him the greensight abilities.

5 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Well Jon technically has grey eyes not black, even if they may be very dark, and one of the most powerful magical people's eye colour isn't represented - ie. Bran and blue. So I am not sure about the connection with dragonglass.

I think there might be something in red eyed people/albinos though. As well as Mel, there is Bloodraven, Ghost, the weirwoods and the Ghost of High Heart. Also Euron's banner.

Yes and isnt one of Euron's eyes red as well?

Sorry was wrong, its black

11 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Yes and isnt one of Euron's eyes red as well?

Sorry was wrong, its black

I'm not sure. Theon describes it as "a black eye shining with malice." (Theon I, ADWD)

However, I'm not sure how to interpret Sam's description of his sigil:

The charge was one Sam had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil, beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows. "Whose banner is that?" Sam asked. Xhondo only shrugged. (A Feast for Crows - Samwell V)

On the wiki it is this, which is in red in the sclera and has a black/missing iris. If Euron's eye is like that then Theon's comment about it being black is not mutually exclusive with it being red. Whether that redness would count if red eyes are important, I don't know. There does seem to be a link between Euron and Bloodraven with the flying dream, however.

1 minute ago, Horse of Kent said:

I'm not sure. Theon describes it as "a black eye shining with malice." (Theon I, ADWD)

The charge was one Sam had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil, beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows. "Whose banner is that?" Sam asked. Xhondo only shrugged. (A Feast for Crows - Samwell V)

On the wiki it is this, which is in red in the sclera and has a black/missing iris. If Euron's eye is like that then Theon's comment about it being black is not mutually exclusive with it being red. Whether that redness would count if red eyes are important, I don't know. There does seem to be a link between Euron and Bloodraven with the flying dream, however.

Yes, thats how it was! Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Euron needs some Visine.

20 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

In the dimness of the lamplit cellar they looked black,

In dim light, EVERYONE's eyes look black. That's because the pupil (the black hole in the center) expands, to where you can barely see the iris (the colored part). I'd write this apparent eye color off.

Of much greater significance, the colors of dragonglass are also the colors of Mardi Gras. King Cake for everyone!!

1 hour ago, zandru said:

In dim light, EVERYONE's eyes look black. That's because the pupil (the black hole in the center) expands, to where you can barely see the iris (the colored part). I'd write this apparent eye color off.

Of much greater significance, the colors of dragonglass are also the colors of Mardi Gras. King Cake for everyone!!

Cake? I could go for some cake!

On 3/3/2017 at 0:43 PM, NorthernXY said:

On a recent reread I noticed that the dragon glass Stannis mentions on Dragonstone: black, red, green, and purple matches the magical eye colors, corresponds to magical people's eye color.  Jojen has green, Jon black, Melisandre red, and Dany purple.  Is this something I'm looking too much into or is there something here to explore?

Here's some fun.

The sides in the Dance were called the greens and the blacks.

The Targaryen colors are red and black.

Bloodraven's eyes are red, because of his albinism. But he's a Targaryen who's eyes would otherwise have been purple. 

So really all of these colors are related to House Targaryen.

On 3/3/2017 at 1:43 PM, NorthernXY said:

I think there is definitely something there- eye color and gems and obsidian and dragons scales and rainbows and...

/dizzy

Archived