Who should common man in Westeros follow

Putin

Imagine you are common man who serves to for example house Selmy from Stormlands.You have 3 different orders from different persons ,so which one person you should listen.

- Leader of House Selmy.

- Leader of house Baratheon rulers of Stormlands.

- King on the iron throne.

The standard feudal thing is that you are sworn to the guy above you, he is sworn to the guy above him, and that guy is sworn to the guy above him. So on all the way up to the crown. In theory no underlord will contradict his overlord. But you've given me a situation where that seems to be exactly what's happening.

My first thought was to obey the king because he outranks and can overrule the others. In which case I hope Lord Selmy and Lord Baratheon will take the matter up with the king and not with me.

My second was to obey Lord Selmy, to whom I have sworn fealty and hope that Lord Baratheon and the King won't hold me responsible for him causing trouble.

My third was to wonder where I am. If I'm at home, my best bet is to go with either Lord Selmy or Lord Baratheon, unless the king has an army not far away. But if I'm in King's Landing, I'm doing what the king says because he can overrule both of the others, and in a way I'm under his protection being in his city.

I'm probably safest obeying the king, because he outranks and can overrule everyone else. But I better have proof that the king ordered me to do whatever the task is, or I'm in big trouble. I may be in trouble anyway. Depends on what mood Lord Selmy and Lord Baratheon are in and how ruthless they are.

Feudalism is like the military chain of command. Smallfolk follows Lord, Lord follows higher Lord, and so on. It gives the smallfolk advantages in thwt the King won't punish them for assisting in rebelliom as they were just doing as they're told, but if they refuse and follow the king their Lord might kill them and nobody would care.

If you disobey Selmy when he disobeys Robert, Selmy is going to be angry with you and Robert won't care. If you follow Selmy when he disobeys Robert, Robert is going to primarily be angry with Selmy but won't care about each peasant.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

But be assured, no matter who you choose to obey, being merely "smallfolk", YOU will be the one who suffers for it. Regardless of whether your decision was "right."

African proverb: When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers.

I'd pick House Semly because both king and Lord Paramount will come and go, but the Selmys will most likely keep their power and so remain to take revenge on me and my kin if I turn against them. And I also think that the primary loyalty belongs to the closest steps on the feudal pyramid.

23 hours ago, Putin said:

Imagine you are common man who serves to for example house Selmy from Stormlands.You have 3 different orders from different persons ,so which one person you should listen.

- Leader of House Selmy.

Sounds a bit like rock, paper, scissors.

4 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

African proverb: When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers.

"When the great lord passes the peasants bow deeply and silently fart"

I'd follow my liege lord.  I'm thinking of what Roland Crakehall said to Dunk.  To paraphrase, "The Knights will get off light enough, they were just following their liege lords."

So I'd go with my closest lord.

Then again, if someone like Bloodraven or Littlefinger approached me I'd listen.

The peasants and landed knights aren't really punished for following their liege Lord's and disobeying the LP or King. On the other hand, if a peasant, minor Lord or landed knight abandons their liege Lord to follow the LP or King and loses, then the liege would punish them. Therefore you should always follow the person who is a step above you.

On 3/3/2017 at 3:28 PM, Putin said:

- Leader of House Selmy.

The monarch (king or queen).  Under feudalism, the king bestows the land on the lords.  The lords answer to the monarch.  The monarch is the ultimate authority and must be obeyed

The most important factor in practical terms is to follow the likely winner of the conflict.  I assume you mean war here, as the monarch would not really give a direct order to a common man but instead issue commands to the liege lord and it is up to that person to pass the command to the small folk.  If we're talking legally, everyone should follow the monarch.  To use an example, Alliser Thorne was right to fight for the Targaryens.

9 minutes ago, Lame Lothar Frey said:

The monarch (king or queen).  Under feudalism, the king bestows the land on the lords.  The lords answer to the monarch.  The monarch is the ultimate authority and must be obeyed.

Sorry but no. The feudal society rests on the principle of submission of the vassal to his direct suzerain.

59 minutes ago, Lame Lothar Frey said:

The monarch (king or queen).  Under feudalism, the king bestows the land on the lords.  The lords answer to the monarch.  The monarch is the ultimate authority and must be obeyed

The most important factor in practical terms is to follow the likely winner of the conflict.  I assume you mean war here, as the monarch would not really give a direct order to a common man but instead issue commands to the liege lord and it is up to that person to pass the command to the small folk.  If we're talking legally, everyone should follow the monarch.  To use an example, Alliser Thorne was right to fight for the Targaryens.

Yeah that's wrong. Sorry. A peasant answers to the landed knight, the landed knight follows the minor lord (or in some cases, answers directly to the noble lord), the minor lord is ruled by the noble lord, the noble lord is meant to follow the LP and the LP follows the King.

Alliser Thorne was right to support the Targaryen's because his house is directly sworn to the crown. On the other hand, the Connington's, Fell's, Grandison's, Cafferen's, Goodbrook's, Grafton's, Mooton's, Darry's and Ryger's were wrong to follow the Targaryen's. According to their oaths of fealty they should follow their liege lord's. That's why pretty much no one but the Stark's and Tully's were really punished for participating in the War of Five Kings and why the Lord of the Vale aren't blamed for not joining Robb.

On ‎03‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Putin said:

- Leader of House Selmy.

Always follow your the guy your sworn to obey. In this case House Selmy.

Archived