The Grey King fought Garth the Greenhand

17 hours ago, Pain killer Jane said:

@LmL @Crowfood's Daughter @ravenous reader

Before the Tyrion and Varys scene is the scene between Janos Slynt and Tyrion. And among the many mentions of killing children, treachery, loyalty etc. etc. etc. Janos says "we will see who sails away." We have quite a few references of AA people sailing away aka being banished or exiled and at some point exhibiting Grey King attributes. Prince Daemon, Euron, and others.

@LmL I also found a curious tale.

Among its reference to the wind talking and other such stuff. That story sounds like the NK 

and this about Mance 

Speaking of drinking blood and knowing no fear...

Old Botley, who was called Fishwhiskers, sat scowling by his pile of plunder while his three sons added to it. One of them was in a shoving match with a fat man named Todric, who was reeling among the slain with a horn of ale in one hand and an axe in the other, clad in a cloak of white foxfur only slightly stained by the blood of its previous owner. Drunk, Theon decided, watching him bellow. It was said that the ironmen of old had oft been blood-drunk in battle, so berserk that they felt no pain and feared no foe, but this was a common ale-drunk.

I have a feeling team green drank more blood than the Ironborn.  Although I suspect team green had some cannibalistic tendencies. The ice river clans and Skagosi seem to be the closest remnants of the weirwood loving, blood sacrificing antler people of the dawn age. 

@LmL,check this out.  This may help with your ideas on Argoth Stone Skin, maybe link to Balon Blackskin and the above quote, of feeling no pain.  The Berzerkers were a group of Norse Warriors who fought with no armor, but wore wolf pelts and bear pelts which gave the warriors special protection in battle and transformed them.  Interesting stuff.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker

4 hours ago, Pain killer Jane said:

The bit about stealing the sun to paint his hair is the lime juice whitewashing. 

And now that you mention the bit about howling like a demon as in imitation of greenseers, I just had a thought that if the Hearttrees are wight trees as @LmL has suggest and are undead and the whispering woods and whispering sound on the wind are the sounds of undead greenseers in the Weirnet than therefore it should be rightly called White Noise, which is often cited as being used by the dead to communicate. 

Sorry that is off topic.

And yes I agree that Lann is very sinister trickster. And he is often considered to be a grandson of Garth through Florys or Rowen Gold tree. Which fits because @ravenous reader has put forth the theory that the trees are traps and foxes are often tricksters especially in Eastern mythology which is telling since Lann is said to have appeared from the east, that land of the rising sun.

And that secret pass into Casterly Rock seems like Robb and Ser Artys Arryn's goat track. 

In some of the stories Lann pretends to be Garth's child to steal inheritance just like Tyrion unknowingly pretends to be Tywin's.  When he strips off his clothes and covers himself in butter to squeeze through the crack he sounds a lot like he is an infant being reborn in the Rock.  

I can see whitewashing in certain places, but I don't really understand what it is about.  

10 hours ago, Unchained said:

I think there is definitely some trickster who destroyed the moon and corrupted the WWnet stuff going on with Lann.  

Books are symbol of weirwoods being made of trees and storing knowledge.  It looks like Lann may have tricked the trees or greenseers from this quote.

I could not decide if the Rock was a symbol of the fire moon or the WWnet.  Now that it has been established that the trees were transformed when the moon was destroyed, it can be a little of both and makes more sense.  

Lann found a secret way into the Rock.  It was probably not a method that was without causing destruction.  He whispered from the darkness, howling like a demon, sounds like a greenseer or an impersonator of one.  He stole treasures and turned brother against brother which I think is exactly what you are getting at.  I wonder what treasures those were.  He filled the Rock with vermin which sounds like he corrupted the fire moon/WWnet driving out the original inhabitants.  Smuggling in a pride of lions sounds like letting the sun's fire into the fire moon/WWnet which is something that happened right?  They ate the men and he claimed the women which given that Nissa Nissa was a weirwood person sounds agian like he killed or ran out the children's souls in the trees and claimed the WWnet for himself.  Lann impregnating the women without them knowing while they slept is interesting.  I have no idea what that means, but maybe greenseers can create a new sort of people in a way.  Impregnating the lord's daughter is another way of saying the same thing as above.  

Also, he used the sun to brighten his hair/heir.  AA reborn had the sun's energy in him.         

Yes, I am doing a read on @LmL's Burning Brandon essay and I am noticing a a recurring theme with the Lannister's in the essay as well. 

The master of revels bowed, but Prince Tommen was not so obedient. “I’m supposed to ride against the straw man.”

“Not today.”

They set up the quintain at the far end of the lists while the prince’s pony was being saddled. Tommen’s opponent was a child-sized leather warrior stuffed with straw and mounted on a pivot, with a shield in one hand and a padded mace in the other. Someone had fastened a pair of antlers to the knight’s head. Joffrey’s father King Robert had worn antlers on his helm, Sansa remembered . . . but so did his uncle Lord Renly, Robert’s brother, who had turned traitor and crowned himself king.

Who pushed Brandon off the tower? Jaime.  Who Killed our Horned Lord Robert? Cersei.  Who masterminded the Red Wedding? The Lannisters.  Who gives Littlefinger, the Boltons and the Freys their power?  The Lannisters.  The only problem is, is that I see this mischievous symbolism in House Flint of all places...obviously, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it.  Maybe they are mischievous in the current storyline and this is not an illusion to their history at all.  Lots of possibilities.

@Unchained, sorry the quoting isn't working right at the moment.  Yes, I see the solemnness as well with the team grey/death.  One figure with many parallels is the shrouded Lord, the Grey Grace himself who rules the sorrows.  Heck we even have an Ironborn named Andrik the Unsmiling. Theon had to learn not to smile with his new corpse like persona. 

6 hours ago, Crowfood's Daughter said:

Yes, I am doing a read on @LmL's Burning Brandon essay and I am noticing a a recurring theme with the Lannister's in the essay as well. 

The master of revels bowed, but Prince Tommen was not so obedient. “I’m supposed to ride against the straw man.”

“Not today.”

They set up the quintain at the far end of the lists while the prince’s pony was being saddled. Tommen’s opponent was a child-sized leather warrior stuffed with straw and mounted on a pivot, with a shield in one hand and a padded mace in the other. Someone had fastened a pair of antlers to the knight’s head. Joffrey’s father King Robert had worn antlers on his helm, Sansa remembered . . . but so did his uncle Lord Renly, Robert’s brother, who had turned traitor and crowned himself king.

Who pushed Brandon off the tower? Jaime.  Who Killed our Horned Lord Robert? Cersei.  Who masterminded the Red Wedding? The Lannisters.  Who gives Littlefinger, the Boltons and the Freys their power?  The Lannisters.  The only problem is, is that I see this mischievous symbolism in House Flint of all places...obviously, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it.  Maybe they are mischievous in the current storyline and this is not an illusion to their history at all.  Lots of possibilities.

Well, if the burning WW = NN in some sense, then we should see solar people lighting it on fire. 

We might also view the comet as the interlocutor, stealing the woman of the sun king. That would make Jaime the white (original, pre-NN) comet, Cersei the fire moon (which is what I *think* she is most of the time) and Robert the sun king. 

Or maybe the moons are supposed to be a pair - Robert the ice Moon and Cersei the fire moon, and the sun (Jaime) is the interposing.

It's hard to say without looking at a specific chapter, because Martin places so much emphasis on transformations. None of these roles are static. What we have is different characters showing as different parts of the journey, of the sequence. The biggest clues as to what role a person is playing come from the specific wording of a specific chapter, I find. Sometimes I talk about Sansa being stuck in the Vale  ( a general, overarching plot) as a symbol of the firemen meteor stuck in the ice Moon - but I got that idea from reading specific passages of text when Santa is at the Eyrie.  I think I might have been wrong about Danny turning into the reborn red comet, based upon our research into white lions and the fact that she puts the White Lion Pelt on almost immediately after hatching the dragons ( she wakes the dragons at the end of book one, and then puts the lion Pelt on at the beginning of book 2). This actually makes her the ice Moon now, so she's representing the fire Moon meteor that went inside the ice moon when she wears her lion Pelt. That first chapter is the one where she finds Vaes Tolorro, the City of Bones which is as white as the Moon. Danny coming to that City and sitting up shop there is emblematic of a fire Moon meteor lodging in the ice Moon, which is also what her wearing the lion Pelt signifies. Right after she woke the dragons, she appeared covered in soot, amidst the ashes. She turned black, like a black moon meteor, but she's amidst the ashes, meaning she's gone inside the Burning Tree. As of right now, my best understanding of the weirwood as a symbol is that it can symbolize either Moon, and works something like a portal between the Moon's. Meaning, the comet (the solar dragon seed) goes into the fire Moon, transforms through fire, and enters the ice moon. This is like the LH being reborn through the weirwoodnet as a fiery undead tree person, who is now ready to go north and face the others. Sansa goes through fiery rebirth symbolism at King's Landing, then flies from there like a stone, gets pulled into the sea by a ship called the Merling King, and ends up stuck in the ice Moon of the Eyrie. The weirwoods seen clearly Moon Associated, and I was wrestling with which moon to ascribe them too, but I think they are both moons. First and foremost, a Celestial tree represents the cosmic access, which is not a physical thing - but it holds up every physical thing. Given the concept that Yggdrasil can act as a steed which Odin can ride throughout the Universe, it kind of makes sense to see the weirwoods as a portal. And since they're obviously Moon associated... well you get the idea. 

9 hours ago, LmL said:

Well, if the burning WW = NN in some sense, then we should see solar people lighting it on fire. 

This isn't really setting it on fire but it does speak to climbing the tree

Cersei herself arrived with the seamstress, and watched as they dressed Sansa in her new clothes. The smallclothes were all silk, but the gown itself was ivory samite and cloth-of-silver, and lined with silvery satin. The points of the long dagged sleeves almost touched the ground when she lowered her arms. And it was a woman's gown, not a little girl's, there was no doubt of that. The bodice was slashed in front almost to her belly, the deep vee covered over with a panel of ornate Myrish lace in dove-grey. The skirts were long and full, the waist so tight that Sansa had to hold her breath as they laced her into it. They brought her new shoes as well, slippers of soft grey doeskin that hugged her feet like lovers.

- Sansa III, aSoS

Keep that image of Sansa's wedding gown and remember that she has coppery red hair

The dwarf tugged at her a third time. Stubbornly she pressed her lips together and pretended not to notice. Someone behind them tittered. The queen, she thought, but it didn't matter. They were all laughing by then, Joffrey the loudest. "Dontos, down on your hands and knees," the king commanded. "My uncle needs a boost to climb his bride."

And so it was that her lord husband cloaked her in the colors of House Lannister whilst standing on the back of a fool.

-Sansa III, aSoS

Seems like Sansa is the weirwood tree here and Tyrion is the person that climbed her and it's interesting he is standing on a fool's back. 

20 hours ago, Crowfood's Daughter said:

Speaking of drinking blood and knowing no fear...

I have a feeling team green drank more blood than the Ironborn.  Although I suspect team green had some cannibalistic tendencies. The ice river clans and Skagosi seem to be the closest remnants of the weirwood loving, blood sacrificing antler people of the dawn age. 

@LmL,check this out.  This may help with your ideas on Argoth Stone Skin, maybe link to Balon Blackskin and the above quote, of feeling no pain.  The Berzerkers were a group of Norse Warriors who fought with no armor, but wore wolf pelts and bear pelts which gave the warriors special protection in battle and transformed them.  Interesting stuff.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker

Love the Berserkers so prominent in the story. This is also alluded by the Unsullied by them drinking that drink but instead of in service of Odin they are in service to their mother Goddess. The same one who's altar their genitals are burned upon.

And nice find with the Ironborn. Doesnt surprise me they are blood drinkers. One of the ways to be considered fully Ironborn is to be born from an Ironborn Rock Wife. Skagos means stone in the old tongue and therefore are Stone Born. And Skagos is known for cannibalism. 

oh btw in that same quote from Varys, Tyrion tells Varys that "Men make Eunuchs", is the same wording as Theon:

"The Drowned God makes men," old King Urron Redhand had once said, thousands of years ago, "but it's men who make crowns."

Not to mention it's a Redhanded (and after all being redhanded is a euphemism for stealing and being caught red handed) King whose first name sounds like Euron.

The connection of those two serves as another link to the removal of fertility/procreation for power, in this case particularly a crown. Hmm....that crown of swords is looking interesting.

21 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

No.  It's not at all off topic.  The word is the sword.  The word comes before the sword.  Before the blood -- even before the fire -- there was the Word:

So true. I pointed out in an earlier comment to Hiemal that Varys places the parchment of treachery literally words of backstabbing up his sleeve, like a hidden dagger and pointing out the pun of arm and arms as in weapons. 

Bet you this is the thematic reason why House Penrose was granted two royal marriages with one resulting in a queen. 

14 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

So true. I pointed out in an earlier comment to Hiemal that Varys places the parchment of treachery literally words of backstabbing up his sleeve, like a hidden dagger and pointing out the pun of arm and arms as in weapons. 

I love it!  Your discussion on the mana and the blood was genius -- you should make a thread.  :)

Melisandre and Cressen also keep 'tricks' up their sleeves!

This was my take on the 'parable of power.'  Basically, I think power resides where it doesn't!

Bet you this is the thematic reason why House Penrose was granted two royal marriages with one resulting in a queen. 

Please explain!  :wub:  To quote LmL, 'your kink dear...'!

17 hours ago, Unchained said:

In some of the stories Lann pretends to be Garth's child to steal inheritance just like Tyrion unknowingly pretends to be Tywin's.  When he strips off his clothes and covers himself in butter to squeeze through the crack he sounds a lot like he is an infant being reborn in the Rock.  

I can see whitewashing in certain places, but I don't really understand what it is about.  

Buttering himself and Casterly Rock being called the Rock just sounds like a prison break from Alcatraz. 

The whitwashing is simplistically complicated. It has to do with the different types of lime being used to cover up rather evil origins.

10 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

I love it!  Your discussion on the mana and the blood was genius -- you should make a thread.  :)

Yeah that is the first essay I have planned since it is the beginning to the blood sacrificing/cannibalism, lucky penny women which has the added layer of the madonna/whore theme we keep seeing, coins as a signal to the profit/prophet pun. Then I will make a tangent into the world of lime and whitewashing. 

And yup I saw that when Cressen tells us about his robes. It is also interesting to note that the sleeves of women's dress in the series are usually made of Myrish Lace. To me it keeps alluding to My Lady Greensleeves. But that is far away right now since I have started school again and will have to wait till summer again.

This was my take on the 'parable of power.'  Basically, I think power resides where it doesn't!

I will read this as soon as I am done on this comment.

I haven't seen anyone truly give a good reason for why House Penrose, a relatively unknown house in the Stormlands was married twice into the Royal family.

And since House Dondarrion was started because a lightning bolt saved a messenger, than you can't ignore the message and who set down the message. And Dyanna Dondarrion was mother to a king. Oops ignore that Dyanna was a Dayne and Jena Dondarrion was the wife of Baelor Breakspear. 

And you said it yourself, the word came first and is the sword. Therefore the Pen is mightier than the sword in deployment. 

House Penrose of the Parchments with their sigil of feather pens crossed is significant especially when we have seen feathers with blood on them, feathers with sea weed intertwined in them (if that drowned bird was on land, the seaweed would be vines), feathers on fire in Orelle's eagle alluding to Icarus, the black wings [feathers] carrying dark words. 

And if books are weirwoods than parchment is as well. I think Bran and the Septon at Winterfell saved some burned parchements from the burned library. 

And they have Rose in their name which should warrant examination. And I would say that a Penrose is a Rose Thorn especially if the words of a Penrose were of treachery and drew blood.

Ok, question for all you blood drinkers.  Compare this scene with Robert asking Ned to drink a black liquid:

Drink. Your king commands it."

Ned took the horn and drank. The beer was black and thick, so strong it stung the eyes.

Robert sat down again. "Damn you, Ned Stark. You and Jon Arryn, I loved you both. What have you done to me? You were the one should have been king, you or Jon."

..to the more well known scene:

The Crow's Eye filled two cups with a strange black wine that flowed as thick as honey. "Drink with me, brother. Have a taste of this." He offered one of the cups to Victarion.

The captain took the cup Euron had not offered, sniffed at its contents suspiciously. Seen up close, it looked more blue than black. It was thick and oily, with a smell like rotted flesh. He tried a small swallow, and spit it out at once. "Foul stuff. Do you mean to poison me?"

"I mean to open your eyes." Euron drank deep from his own cup, and smiled. "Shade-of-the-evening, the wine of the warlocks. I came upon a cask of it when I captured a certain galleas out of Qarth, along with some cloves and nutmeg, forty bolts of green silk, and four warlocks who told a curious tale. One presumed to threaten me, so I killed him and fed him to the other three. They refused to eat of their friend's flesh at first, but when they grew hungry enough they had a change of heart. Men are meat."

It could also have to do with hornblowing, which you also have to command your brother or someone else to do, apparently. @Crowfood's Daughter was talking about the Grey King figure forcing Garth to drink, or is it the other way round? Seems like Garth forcing Grey King to drink here. (Ned = King of Winter / Grey King type).  Thoughts? 

Tyrion also drinks black beer in a scene which foreshadows his betrayal of his family:

His brother's smile curdled like sour milk. "Tyrion, my sweet brother," he said darkly, "there are times when you give me cause to wonder whose side you are on."

Tyrion's mouth was full of bread and fish. He took a swallow of strong black beer to wash it all down, and grinned up wolfishly at Jaime. "Why, Jaime, my sweet brother," he said, "you wound me. You know how much I love my family."

Tyrion is wolfish as he says he loves his family... which he will betray / kill.

And thank for calling it genius. I read your comment on the other thread and that was genius examination of Varys. 

I added a few things over there that goes along with some of the things I said on here. The theme of power is extremely meta especially when you take into consideration the different spheres of society and the realm of internal personal sphere reaching out to the external realm that exist within the story and then have that theme exist simultaneously within those spheres and then branch out and effect those other spheres all at the same time. And then heap onto that a good dose of social commentary and knocking on the fourth wall makes for an extremely difficult time.

This theme was what attracted me to the series and then I keep finding rabbit holes to fall into. 

1 hour ago, LmL said:

Ok, question for all you blood drinkers.  Compare this scene with Robert asking Ned to drink a black liquid:

It could also have to do with hornblowing, which you also have to command your brother or someone else to do, apparently. @Crowfood's Daughter was talking about the Grey King figure forcing Garth to drink, or is it the other way round? Seems like Garth forcing Grey King to drink here. (Ned = King of Winter / Grey King type).  Thoughts? 

Tyrion also drinks black beer in a scene which foreshadows his betrayal of his family:

Tyrion is wolfish as he says he loves his family... which he will betray / kill.

In terms of the horn and drinking, it could be a reference to the cornucopia' origin as the horn of a River god, and therefore could be reference to the Blackwater. And since black blood is a feature of the wights, the black drink is another reference to the NWs brother who drowned himself in wine and it's punning on blood and wine and again reference those waves of blood and night you are fond of spotting. In this case it would be black blood and black night waves. 

Ned is a fool in true sense of the word and was commanded by his older brother Robert to drink out of it which is the feature of The Euron and Aeron scene and Victarion is after Euron and therefore the younger brother of Euron and he was commanded to blow the horn. Euron is both a younger brother and an older brother.

edit: and the other origin of the cornucopia is that it was from a divine goat that was a wet nurse for Zeus. First we have been told not to believe anything you hear at a woman's teat (prologue) meaning a wet nurse especially if you were blue bloods and Aeron notes the drink is more blue than black. Second we have the black goat of Qohor that drinks a ton of blood and is cited as a face of the Many Face God. And Vargo was made to cannibalize himself into his own grave which Robert says I want to wench and drink MYSELF into an early grave. The wheel of time is a dragon eating its own tail

3 hours ago, LmL said:

It was more of an observation with the mention of blood drunk berkerkers.  I don't really see anyone being forced to drink blood.  Maybe because I mentioned the Garth types being cannibals like the Skagosi or Ice river clans?

7 hours ago, Crowfood's Daughter said:

It was more of an observation with the mention of blood drunk berkerkers.  I don't really see anyone being forced to drink blood.  Maybe because I mentioned the Garth types being cannibals like the Skagosi or Ice river clans?

I tend to see more willing blood drinkers and then some who unknowingly engage in cannibalism. Arya goes on and on about the bowl o'brown, while it is a world building scene you would have to remember that later on Bronn distinctly says he knows of shops that could use the meat from the Symon Silver tongue and the Tyrion specifically now calls a bowl o' brown, singer's stew. Bronn is a lot older than Arya and him knowning that small bit of information means that he has had this knowledge for a while therefore it is not a new practice. So this refers back to Arya saying she doesn't want to think about the meat in the stew and swallows it down.

Besides blood and wine is very much associated in the series. Bran is told by Maester Lewin not to forget his foster brothers and sends one of the Walders boiled beets. While on the surface you might think look it is just a beet but beets are distinctly bloody red in color and we tend to find them pickled in vinegar and Martin is pointing out that beet is the homophone beat as in heart beat. Then later on in a scene Tyrion while speaking to Janos Slynt, he describes a piece of cheese veined with wine and it was very sharp. We need to consider that Tyrion is pissed at Janos for the murder of Barra and this veined cheese is a reference to the murder of Prince Jaeherys by the assassins Blood and Cheese ordered by another of the commanders of the city watch, Prince Daemon Targaryen. edit: Blood and Cheese's connections to cannibalism is seen in their chosen professions of a Blood as a butcher and Cheese as a Rat Catcher and since both of them are sent to kill children are meant to point us at the stories of the Mad Axe and the Rat Cook at the Night Fort. 

While Bran and Tyrion are not engaging in cannibalism the food and actions are pointing to cannibalism and blood drinking. 

15 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Pycell as well shows this 

Pycelle pushed himself to his feet. He was clad in a magnificent robe of thick red velvet, with an ermine collar and shiny gold fastenings. From a drooping sleeve, heavy with gilded scrollwork, he drew a parchment, unrolled it, and began to read a long list of names, commanding each in the name of king and council to present themselves and swear their fealty to Joffrey. Failing that, they would be adjudged traitors, their lands and titles forfeit to the throne.

This is a double allusion since the parchment with the names of treasonous lords was in his sleeve and the sleeve has 'heavy gilded scrollwork'. We think of scrollwork as being swirls and flourishes but it also suggests a scroll or a parchment and the word 'work' here is referring to result of sewing and the result of parchment work is writing. 

10 hours ago, Crowfood's Daughter said:

This remind me two scenes related to the Starks : 

- first one is one vision of the House of the Undying, where a king with a wolf's head is presiding a feast of deads : 

Farther on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay strewn across overturned chairs and hacked trestle tables, asprawl in pools of congealing blood. Some had lost limbs, even heads. Severed hands clutched bloody cups, wooden spoons, roast fowl, heels of bread. In a throne above them sat a dead man with the head of a wolf. He wore an iron crown and held a leg of lamb in one hand as a king might hold a scepter, and his eyes followed Dany with mute appeal.(Daenerys IV, ACOK)

Pieces of corpses are on the tables and in the cups, and it seems that the convives are in the same time the meat and the drink. Also the lamb that the king has in hand as a scepter can be interpreted as a symbolic piece of human corpse, the result of a sacrifice, because of the recurrent link in the saga between victims and sheeps/lamb (see the Craster's chapters and the allusions to his possible cannibalism)

- second : the last vision of Bran throw the weirwood of Winterfell : 

Then, as he watched, a bearded man forced a captive down onto his knees before the heart tree. A white-haired woman stepped toward them through a drift of dark red leaves, a bronze sickle in her hand.
"No," said Bran, "no, don't," but they could not hear him, no more than his father had. The woman grabbed the captive by the hair, hooked the sickle round his throat, and slashed. And through the mist of centuries the broken boy could only watch as the man's feet drummed against the earth … but as his life flowed out of him in a red tide, Brandon Stark could taste the blood.(Bran III, ADWD)

This one suggest that the blood of the sacrificed is passed in the veins of the Starks. Perhaps the wolf's blood come from him and was "stolen" in a kind of way (like Lann the Clever is said steeling the golden hairs of the sun)

39 minutes ago, GloubieBoulga said:

This remind me two scenes related to the Starks : 

- first one is one vision of the House of the Undying, where a king with a wolf's head is presiding a feast of deads : 

Pieces of corpses are on the tables and in the cups, and it seems that the convives are in the same time the meat and the drink. Also the lamb that the king has in hand as a scepter can be interpreted as a symbolic piece of human corpse, the result of a sacrifice, because of the recurrent link in the saga between victims and sheeps/lamb (see the Craster's chapters and the allusions to his possible cannibalism)

- second : the last vision of Bran throw the weirwood of Winterfell : 

This one suggest that the blood of the sacrificed is passed in the veins of the Starks. Perhaps the wolf's blood come from him and was "stolen" in a kind of way (like Lann the Clever is said steeling the golden hairs of the sun)

Shhhh.......

I just wanted to let everyone know that the term "slipping" or "slip," as in slipping your skin or slipping into Casterly Rock, is a sleipnir reference. Sleipnir means "slippery," because of his smooth gait (can leap whole realms of the universe in a single bound, after all). Since sleipnir and Yggdrasil / Odin ideas are so vividly realized in the greenseers and skinchangers, I think it's no coincidence Martin uses that word constantly to describe skinchanging. So, when we see Lann "slip inside" the Rock, the 'slip' word is an additional clue about skinchanging.  @Blue Tiger and @Unchainedwill agree I am sure. 

Archived