IMDb Message Boards are no more?

Isis

I just went to visit the message boards of a film I watched recently and got sent to a page which says they shut down the message boards on February 20th 2017. 

What? Why? Where will I go to find idiots arguing about films now?

1 hour ago, generalzod said:

Those boards were toxic.  Not as bad as a YouTube talkback but close.

No idea why they shut them down because you'd think you'd want to give people reasons to come to your website. 

I did read a news story about them announcing this a few weeks ago. I can't remember the details now, but they didn't seem to think that the boards brought enough traffic to the website to justify the effort of keeping them, and that the traffic to the boards was decreasing anyway. I wonder if one factor might be that having a reputation as the place idiots go to insult movies perhaps isn't the best reputation for a website to have, and since the main purpose of IMDB was always to sell films on Amazon having lots of trolls posting about the films wouldn't be likely to help that.

"After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide,” a statement on the site reads. "The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic."

I was kind of bummed hearing the news because despite the obvious negative comments (although comical too) I found them kind of useful if I had some confusion over a foreign film, or something.

The irony of their boards was that the hate in the comments section was so detailed, it reflected multiple viewings of the episodes of the series in question.

Which begs the question, either the boards were primarily comprised of sado masochists, or they had to like the show in question on some level to keep up with it and constantly rag on their perceived inadequacies.

54 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I was kind of bummed hearing the news because despite the obvious negative comments (although comical too) I found them kind of useful if I had some confusion over a foreign film, or something.

I joke about missing idiots talk about films but there were actually some decent posts, links, and discussion on complex films. Yeah, you had to wade through the silly posts to find them but I found the good ones really worthwhile and I'm going to miss them. 

Yeah, I saw the same disclaimer earlier in the page. Despite what the page claims, as many have already said, I did find the messages useful. Too bad they even deleted the archive.

Is there another page/forum similar to it? I find that my movie experience is in some kind of lack now :P 

In fact, I came here to post in the movie thread about the movie I've just watched in hopes someone else understood the symbolism in it after my visit to imdb was useless. 

I will miss those boards... They were OK, though they were toxic indeed. But, ever since Corvinus started Rate Shows thread last year, I find these boards are even more appealing when it comes to movies/TV shows. Plus, I think that most of the shows I watch have their own threads around here. Perhaps not Greys anatomy, but I will survive :D 

6 minutes ago, generalzod said:

These boards are crazy genre and period heavy.  Contemporary shows that are more or less reality based get little, if any notice even if they're critically acclaimed or mega popular. 

Yeah this board is great for some shows but not so much for others  and for that I'll miss the imdb boards but mostly for the film pages :( I loved discussing in detail a movie that I had rewatch ed multiple times 

13 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah this board is great for some shows but not so much for others  and for that I'll miss the imdb boards but mostly for the film pages :( I loved discussing in detail a movie that I had rewatch ed multiple times 

Yeah, this board is good for discussing shows but not so much films. Especially, if I only just get around to watching a film that's 10 or 20 years old. I spent days reading the threads on The Fountain, for example, there was LOADS of detailed material in there. 

Even some new releases of quieter films, I might want to think about and discuss them in detail but maybe only one other person here has watched it (or at least only one person has seen it and will come to this forum to discuss it). 

It's sad. 

I think most sites are wary of having discussion boards because it takes so much work to moderate them, and if they don't moderate properly it opens them up to having something nasty happen in there unobserved. 

I rememeber RottenTomatoes used to have a forum (still does?) and that it got hidden from view and the site owners did everything in their power to make it unusable. I think they'd rather it didn't exist.

I doubt the imdb boards were even moderated lol at their worst they were awful but at their best they were a really great way to discuss films and read discussions people had had for years about films. 

17 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yeah, this board is good for discussing shows but not so much films. Especially, if I only just get around to watching a film that's 10 or 20 years old. I spent days reading the threads on The Fountain, for example, there was LOADS of detailed material in there. 

Even some new releases of quieter films, I might want to think about and discuss them in detail but maybe only one other person here has watched it (or at least only one person has seen it and will come to this forum to discuss it). 

It's sad. 

Yeah definitely but then only current shows. Sometimes I want to talk to people about shows that are 10 years old and weren't even big at the time! 

1 hour ago, generalzod said:

These boards are crazy genre and period heavy.  Contemporary shows that are more or less reality based get little, if any notice even if they're critically acclaimed or mega popular. 

Well, it is kinda expected... But I remember having written on The Good Wife, The Big Bang Theory, The Americans, Sherlock, Homeland threads...

Plus, as I said, there are these amazing "Rank the TV show" threads and every autumn there is a thread about TV shows. 

IDK, for me, it seems that everything is covered. 

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Whatever you want to talk about, I will clear the schedule, watch it and start talking :D 

5 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, it is kinda expected... But I remember having written on The Good Wife, The Big Bang Theory, The Americans, Sherlock, Homeland threads...

Plus, as I said, there are these amazing "Rank the TV show" threads and every autumn there is a thread about TV shows. 

IDK, for me, it seems that everything is covered. 

Whatever you want to talk about, I will clear the schedule, watch it and start talking :D 

I'll let you know when I next want to go into analysis on a film :P:P 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Good riddance. I lurked there from time to time, but I never felt comfortable joining. It was too often a nasty place overrun with trolls and assholes. 

Now if we could just get rid of the YouTube comments section...

There was a lot of just batshit stuff on there, especially on ACTORS pages. All the "they look like..." "they're ugly" "they're a terrible person" and people having been on there discussing one actor for YEARS...I was just thinking the other day what will those pepole who were really prolific posters on there do now...

But I did love some of the threads on movie pages; I really will miss that. I always like to talk about and discuss littLe details I've noticed in films and the imdb message boards wee perfect for that 

Even the full on extreme, awful 'reviews' were interesting as they gave an insight into opposing views which were outside of my own 'bubble'. So in that respect, even some of the 'bad stuff' was beneficial.

I don't know, I've been on message boards for 20 years now, I guess I'm just used to mentally blanking out the trolls in order to find the worthwhile stuff.

Archived