Get Out! SPOILER THREAD Jordan Peele Triumph

Lily Valley

29 minutes ago, Week said:

The first one is a bit silly methinks, given that "Becky" has already been either gutshot or taken one to the chest. She's already dead. It speaks more to Chris's humanity I think than it does to his inability to kill a white woman. Hell, he's already killed the mother at this point.

The second and its' cultural appropriation is an interesting angle. I didn't really think of the movie from this perspective, but I think it makes a valid point. Thanks for posting that.

The 3rd article I wasn't as fond of. I was taken aback at the suggestion that one should see this in a "black theatre". I get what the author means (the crowd I saw it with might not have been black in majority, but they were quite vocal and boisterous, and I think that's more or less what the author is after here) I also had a black marriage counselor who worked out of his extremely ritzy home, so I'm not sure that criticism fits.

Seems to me most of the points covered in the 4th article have been covered here.

10 minutes ago, Week said:

Lulz. We come full circle. I guess it's fair to say there is some measure of cultural divide going on here (I think Channel4's Jon Snow mentioned he was British), but I don't really understand how one could find this film to be racially insensitive. Uncomfortable, yes, but not insensitive.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The first one is a bit silly methinks, given that "Becky" has already been either gutshot or taken one to the chest. She's already dead. It speaks more to Chris's humanity I think than it does to his inability to kill a white woman. Hell, he's already killed the mother at this point.

The second and its' cultural appropriation is an interesting angle. I didn't really think of the movie from this perspective, but I think it makes a valid point. Thanks for posting that.

The 3rd article I wasn't as fond of. I was taken aback at the suggestion that one should see this in a "black theatre". I get what the author means (the crowd I saw it with might not have been black in majority, but they were quite vocal and boisterous, and I think that's more or less what the author is after here) I also had a black marriage counselor who worked out of his extremely ritzy home, so I'm not sure that criticism fits.

Seems to me most of the points covered in the 4th article have been covered here.

Reading is a beautiful thing - I do agree with you overall.

I take the point of the 3rd article more as a point of - "How did my experience differ from others?" and actually delving into that experience. My point is not necessarily to take all this as gospel, but simply to read and have some level of understanding of a different perspective or experience than I had. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lulz. We come full circle. I guess it's fair to say there is some measure of cultural divide going on here (I think Channel4's Jon Snow mentioned he was British), but I don't really understand how one could find this film to be racially insensitive. Uncomfortable, yes, but not insensitive.

Agree 100% that the cultural divide is significant and difficult to bridge. Not necessarily anyone's fault ... but ... as I said above originally - at least trying to make the attempt to read other perspectives may help instead of flippant ad hominem at film critics and referencing Adam Sandler movies.

17 minutes ago, Week said:

Sure. But neither you nor any of the authors of the articles you you linked to are very representative of the crowd of people actually watching this movie. If you don't recognise that then I can't help you 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Sure. But neither you nor any of the authors of the articles you you linked to are very representative of the crowd of people actually watching this movie. If you don't recognise that then I can't help you 

You're being imprecise in your language here - especially when those articles are all written by PoC - how exactly are they not representative of people actually watching the movie? They are "people who actually watched the movie" - if you don't recognize that then I can't help you.

They watched the [expletive redacted] movie and shared their views on it. Their - per you - purported profession is irrelevant. Should I be finding facebook or medium posts for you to read? 

To be frank, the reason that I posted said articles is because they offer perspective from and about PoC, which is not something (as a white person) that I can ever appropriately convey but do seek to understand. 

1 hour ago, Week said:

You're being imprecise in your language here - especially when those articles are all written by PoC - how exactly are they not representative of people actually watching the movie? They are "people who actually watched the movie" - if you don't recognize that then I can't help you.

They watched the [expletive redacted] movie and shared their views on it. Their - per you - purported profession is irrelevant. Should I be finding facebook or medium posts for you to read? 

To be frank, the reason that I posted said articles is because they offer perspective from and about PoC, which is not something (as a white person) that I can ever appropriately convey but do seek to understand. 

Just because someone has the same skin tone it doesn't mean they are the same. A middle class media savvy writer in GQ is not going to be having the same reaction to a movie as the low brow crowd the movie is essentially pitched at, who are up the majority of the audience I watched it with, and apparently the same people my friend watched it with. 

Why would I seek out opinions that are the same? I'm seeking out DIFFERENT reactions to try to understand why someone would have a DIFFERENT perspective. The DIFFERENCE may be because that individual has a DIFFERENT experience than me due to race, socioeconomics, regional experience, COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, etc.. Your approach is to invalidate different opinions because they differ from your (2) andecdotal experiences and that makes no fuck sense.

What is the point of a discussion if your only interest in your own experience? You seem to be speaking and not listening.

To me, your response does not even acknowledge or address most (all?) of what I said.

25 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

A middle class media savvy writer in GQ is not going to be having the same reaction to a movie as the low brow crowd the movie is essentially pitched at, who are up the majority of the audience I watched it with, and apparently the same people my friend watched it with. 

Don't really see this movie as being pitched to the "low brow crowd" at all. To me, low brow Horror is typically going to be gross-out, slasher style. This was much more of a slow burn, psychological style of Horror. I suppose the bar we set in the States is a bit lower than yours, but this film is not an example of low brow, B movie Horror at all. 

25 minutes ago, Week said:

Why would I seek out opinions that are the same? I'm seeking out DIFFERENT reactions to try to understand why someone would have a DIFFERENT perspective. The DIFFERENCE may be because that individual has a DIFFERENT experience than me due to race, socioeconomics, regional experience, COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, etc.. Your approach is to invalidate different opinions because they differ from your (2) andecdotal experiences and that makes no fuck sense.

What is the point of a discussion if your only interest in your own experience? You seem to be speaking and not listening.

To me, your response does not even acknowledge or address most (all?) of what I said.

I understood your point and why you linked those articles. That the authors are PoC might have some relevance to you , but again if you are trying to invalidate my experience by doing so then it doesn't work because as I say, they are not representative of the people who reacted badly during the movie I saw. im not grouping people because of their race.

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't really see this movie as being pitched to the "low brow crowd" at all. To me, low brow Horror is typically going to be gross-out, slasher style. This was much more of a slow burn, psychological style of Horror. I suppose the bar we set in the States is a bit lower than yours, but this film is not an example of low brow, B movie Horror at all. 

Well interestingly I assumed the movie was going to have a more independent feel and would only attract a more art house crowd. But that wasn't the case, I'm interested to find out where people are learning about this film 

10 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Well interestingly I assumed the movie was going to have a more independent feel and would only attract a more art house crowd. But that wasn't the case, I'm interested to find out where people are learning about this film 

It's definitely an Independent film, thus having a lower budget and less big studio backing and advertisement and the like. As I understand it, it caught a lot of buzz at The Sundance Film Festival and then blew up from there. As Week's links earlier showed it was widely reviewed and generally well reviewed. That and word of mouth I suppose brought it to the attention of the general public.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I understood your point and why you linked those articles. That the authors are PoC might have some relevance to you , but again if you are trying to invalidate my experience by doing so then it doesn't work because as I say, they are not representative of the people who reacted badly during the movie I saw. im not grouping people because of their race.

I see part of what you are talking about and see some of the disconnect. My point in posting those links of other viewpoints was not in response to your/your friend's experience of the crowd cheering in the theater. Completely unrelated. I am not trying to invalidate your experience. 

I was offering some other viewpoints and reactions (re: inflaming racial tensions and you didn't think the movie was insightful) which you have been mind-bogglingly unable to read, respond, or react to in any manner that I would expect -- particularly for someone who wanted to continue down the road of discussing this topic despite a mod heads up. 

As to where people are learning about this film - fans of Key & Peele, fans of horror, fans of movies with a positive depiction of PoC and a discussion of ongoing racial issues in America. Apparently, you are in the second category.

25 minutes ago, Week said:

I see part of what you are talking about and see some of the disconnect. My point in posting those links of other viewpoints was not in response to your/your friend's experience of the crowd cheering in the theater. Completely unrelated. I am not trying to invalidate your experience. 

I was offering some other viewpoints and reactions (re: inflaming racial tensions and you didn't think the movie was insightful) which you have been mind-bogglingly unable to read, respond, or react to in any manner that I would expect -- particularly for someone who wanted to continue down the road of discussing this topic despite a mod heads up. 

As to where people are learning about this film - fans of Key & Peele, fans of horror, fans of movies with a positive depiction of PoC and a discussion of ongoing racial issues in America. Apparently, you are in the second category.

Fair enough. I understand what you are getting at. Believe me I've read up a lot on this movie since seeing it. 

Im just offering a different perspective on the movie which is what I and people I know have experienced. If that doesn't tie up to the consensus of the movie then that is exactly why I brought it up. 

I could easily have a discussion about the thoughts in the above articles and the writer of the movies intent but I'm more interested in the unintended effect of his movie which isn't discussed 

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I could easily have a discussion about the thoughts in the above articles and the writer of the movies intent but I'm more interested in the unintended effect of his movie which isn't discussed 

To be fair, I don't think it's discussed because I don't think many are having this experience. I suppose this angle might be more common on your side of the pond.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

To be fair, I don't think it's discussed because I don't think many are having this experience. I suppose this angle might be more common on your side of the pond.

Where you see a movie is pretty relevant. I saw it in a run down side of london, in a large cineplex, where there is a lot of racial diversity. 90% of the audience were non white at least. Whether that ties into how people react I don't know.

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Where you see a movie is pretty relevant. I saw it in a run down side of london, in a large cineplex, where there is a lot of racial diversity. 90% of the audience were non white at least. Whether that ties into how people react I don't know.

Right, but you fellows don't have quite the same racial dynamic at work as we here in the States. Or I'm assuming you don't. I suppose some aspects are similar and others differ.

Just to go back to your comment earlier about an audience member saying "I'd kill that white bitch" or something to that effect in regards to the mother's death scene. I basically had the same reaction. Just for clarification's sake I'm a white male. There was a moment when the protagonist first confronts her, and he hesitates for a second. She makes a grab for the teacup and he smashes it. I'm basically going WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? KILL THE BITCH! To me this is a pretty standard audience reaction to that sort of scene. You're rooting for the protagonist to exact his revenge and make his escape. It's not a racial thing so much as a human thing, ya know? 

On 29/03/2017 at 0:15 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Just to go back to your comment earlier about an audience member saying "I'd kill that white bitch" or something to that effect in regards to the mother's death scene. I basically had the same reaction. Just for clarification's sake I'm a white male. There was a moment when the protagonist first confronts her, and he hesitates for a second. She makes a grab for the teacup and he smashes it. I'm basically going WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? KILL THE BITCH! To me this is a pretty standard audience reaction to that sort of scene. You're rooting for the protagonist to exact his revenge and make his escape. It's not a racial thing so much as a human thing, ya know? 

Yes I felt the same watching it, the movie makes you root for that guy and want death rained down on everyone else. But as I say, the reactions were more than just over involvement and were heavily racial in nature. 

On 3/28/2017 at 11:14 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not sure how this film exposes liberal racist attitudes. The White characters in this film only use the liberal attitudes as a thin cover in order to keep the black victim at ease. "We're cool with our white daughter dating a black man. I would've voted for Obama a third time." The reality is they are looking to enslave black people in a way that is even more insidious than actual slavery was. There is nothing liberal about what they are doing.

This kind of thing is so head-patting.  It also reduces you to a nursemaid to console someone that they're not (-ist).  I can only relate to this as a queer. 

I have been through this type of s*** a lot with my co-workers who just figured out I was not dating a dude.  I have gotten unnecessary and uninvited speeches about some gay friend they had.  A good pat on the shoulder and an "I support you!".  Every time.    Over and over. 

So to me, when Rose said, "No big deal!  They're not racist and so I didn't tell them!"  made me exhausted in that one sentence.  After that, the family's hammer of "trying to relate" was so fucking embarrassing.  It totally embarrassed me because it was so true. 

Human beings jump on minority identity like rats.  I do not think it is a bad thing or a malicious thing.  I think that in the cases (like the film shows), it is a misguided attempt for people to accept the "other".  The effects of the overtures are to leave that "other" feeling more on display.  It's a very alienating line of conversation, whether people realize it or not.  Chris's discomfort was very present and his dignity handling it was very real.

Archived