College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I said The Holy Basketball Team of Kentucky, you can't say I didnt. But, yes, WVU football means a lot more to most of us. Until Belein, then Huggs our Bball team was mediocre consistently. 

It was pretty good in the old days too, can't forget Jerry West man!  My West Virginia dwelling grandfather is still a Los Angeles Lakers fan to this day because of Jerry West.  But yea there was about a 40 yr stretch there where not a lot of good things happened for WVU basketball.

Be nice if we can keep the mojo going after Huggs decides to hang it up.  I think there's enough will to put up the money for a good coach when that eventually happens, so hopefully we will be around to pester everyone for a long time.  

Congratulations Northern Kentucky on your Horizon League tourney win.

Your prize?  A 15 seed and a date with the University of Kentucky.  (Just watch... you know it will happen.)

Also... it's always good to see any Kentucky school beat a Wisconsin school.  Never enough blood spilled to settle that debt... 

Northern Kentuckys win might give WVU the slightest of bumps since we beat them by 31 points.  That ooc schedule can use all the help it can get!  Mount st Mary's won too, who WVU also beat so, at least that's a couple more bonus tourney team scalps on the 'ol resume.

Josh Jackson suspended for the first game of the Big XII tournament for backing into a car and leaving the scene without leaving information. Just a quality group Bill Self is running out there this year.

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

Congratulations Northern Kentucky on your Horizon League tourney win.

Your prize?  A 15 seed and a date with the University of Kentucky.  (Just watch... you know it will happen.)

Also... it's always good to see any Kentucky school beat a Wisconsin school.  Never enough blood spilled to settle that debt... 

Until yesterday I didn't even know NKU existed.  15K students even.  Pretty cool they made the tourney in their first year of eligibility since moving up from D2. 

On 3/6/2017 at 3:55 PM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I would really, really love to win the BIGXII tournament. And, I really like our chances. As long as we hit our free throws and stay composed I think we can pull it off. Last couple of years it was a forgone conclusion Kansas was gonna win, but when I watch us play them, our guys look like they think they are better than Kansas. There is no more awe, we know we belong.

I have a love hate relationship with the Big XII tournament.  It's fun and exciting, but it very rarely means anything for our seeding in the NCAA so it's just a possible three games in three days to wear down our players before the one we actually care about.  If we make the final, I definitely want to win, but I couldn't care less if we lose tomorrow.

As to the second part, it probably helps that we're only playing seven guys significant minutes this year. ;)  We haven't been this thin since '12, and just like that year we would take off a lot of time on defense in order to stay out of foul trouble and then turn it on we when need.  Our home game with you guys this year and Missouri that year being quite similar.  But really the vast majority of our games this year have followed that same pattern.  While it is quite exciting to watch, it's also super frustrating and I think our '12 tournament run took at least two years off my life - I think we came back from double digit deficits in each of the rounds of 32, 16, 8, and 4.  We're number 7 on Kenpom in Luck this season, but having watched every game this season (of the past umpteenth sesaons) it doesn't feel like luck to me, it feels like experience and coaching.  

This year I'm going into the tournament expecting that one of those games we'll turn it on just a little bit too late, but when we're on I think we can play with everybody so we have a chance to go all the way.  With our experience and coaching (and hopefully a little bit of that "luck") I'm going to enjoy the ride.

I was really hoping to avoid playing Texas again for domestic reasons, but since we swept them in the regular season while both games against Texas Tech went into overtime (and WVU lost one of them), the Longhorns are probably the better draw in terms of WVU's chances of advancing to the next round.  

Texas had a crazy lopsided run in the second half to win the game last night.  Tech went completely cold and did nothing for about 10 minutes.  We'll see what kinda energy UT brings tonight.  I expect a battle since they are playing to keep their season alive, but WVU should be OK as long as we're scoring.  

43 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Can't beat Duke vs  Louisville on a Thursday afternoon...

I've got my phone sitting on my desk streaming through the Watch ESPN app.

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Do you have to pay for that?

ESPN has arrangements with most major cable providers.  You log in with your cable provider ID and its free.  We have Xfinity at home.

If you are a cord cutter... I don't know what kind of options you might have.

Honestly, since the suspension was announced I've thought it was a brilliant move. Self can say he disciplined JJ. More importantly, they can lose early in the B12 tourney, then have a full week to practice for the NCAA, with no hit to their seed because they weren’t at full strength. Master stroke.

Just now, Rhom said:

Honestly, since the suspension was announced I've thought it was a brilliant move. Self can say he disciplined JJ. More importantly, they can lose early in the B12 tourney, then have a full week to practice for the NCAA, with no hit to their seed because they weren’t at full strength. Master stroke.

This. It's all I've got. No one take it away from me, please.

Something I didn't realize... 

UofL is still waiting on their first ever ACC tournament win

2014 – Played in the AAC
2015 – Lost first game to UNC
2016 – Post Season Ban
2017 – Lost first game to Duke

Better luck in 2018 Cards.  :lol: 

Archived