College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

33 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Oh... I was getting ready to respond about Arkansas basketball being great in the early 90's then realized you meant football.

Carry on.  I agree.

I lived in Arkansas for a time during the early 90's.  The son (one of them anyway) of the AD at the university of Arkansas and his family lived across the street from us and were friends with my parents.  We used to get free tickets from them whenever they couldn't make a game and I remember going to see that '94 team play a couple of times.  We were only out there for 3 years so Arkansas fanship ultimately didn't stick with me but I was about 10 yrs old and, other than one or two prior trips to Mountaineer Field before we moved, those are some of my earliest sports memories.  Definitely remember being very excited when they won the NCAA tournament.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Games count today!!!

My annual comment - I hate the play in games and that we have teams that would be ranked above 16 being booted out due to a gimmick.

56 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

My annual comment - I hate the play in games and that we have teams that would be ranked above 16 being booted out due to a gimmick.

Spoiler

That's not how I remember the play in games coming about.  

The first play in game was because one of those smallish mountain conferences split in two. Both were eligible for an auto bid and rather than reduce the number of a team large teams, they moved the field to 65.

I don't see the point in griping about a team that loses a play-in game. I mean, if they can't win that game what do you think their chance of was winning a game in the field? I don't mind them. Extra basketball is a good thing. Get ready to see some celebrating and some tears. @Rhom, I got UK vs Duke for my NC in the Westeros group, I hope your "birthright" doesn't bite me in the ass.

I like the play-in games as a nice little warm-up for the tourney..  The alternative would be that none of those 4 higher-seeded at-large teams are in the tournament at all (since all the 16's have auto-bids and would still be in, just 2 of them would be 15 seeds).  And we've seen in the past these teams can win more than just the first game.

If we are married to the idea of the play in games, I would just prefer to have all the 16 seeds play them.  Give the small schools a chance to say they won a tourney game.

Ok, so this not much of a basketball fan is going to Indianapolis tomorrow for the Michigan-OK State and Louisville-Jacksonville State games. Tickets were relatively cheap and "only" a four hour drive. Never been to a tourney game before and neither has my nephew so why not!

Any suggestions from people here on a place for dinner in Indianapolis after the games? A great pizza place, burger place, or Mexican would be up my alley. I am going to google and yelp it, just figured if anyone here has first hand knowledge it would be a bonus.

37 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Ok, so this not much of a basketball fan is going to Indianapolis tomorrow for the Michigan-OK State and Louisville-Jacksonville State games. Tickets were relatively cheap and "only" a four hour drive. Never been to a tourney game before and neither has my nephew so why not!

Any suggestions from people here on a place for dinner in Indianapolis after the games? A great pizza place, burger place, or Mexican would be up my alley. I am going to google and yelp it, just figured if anyone here has first hand knowledge it would be a bonus.

Enjoy!  I'm sure the later sessions will be much more expensive, but if you can swing it the Dayton-WSU and UK-NKU games would be a good time as well.

I'm not all that familiar with downtown Indy unfortunately.  Have a great time with your nephew!

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

They should go after Archie Miller. That'd be a great hire.

As an alum coaching at a high level program with some success, I think they almost have to go after Alford first.

As a UK fan, I would welcome that because I don't think Alford would be opposed to going back to neutral site games annually between UK and IU.  Crean insisted on home-homes and ever since the IU fans went crazy in 2012; Calipari has refused to go back but has publicly said he would welcome neutral site games like the series used to feature in Louisville and Indianapolis.

ETA:  But yes, if Alford declines I agree that Archie is the hottest name in coaching.  Gregg Marshall at WSU would also be a good target.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

As an alum coaching at a high level program with some success, I think they almost have to go after Alford first.

As a UK fan, I would welcome that because I don't think Alford would be opposed to going back to neutral site games annually between UK and IU.  Crean insisted on home-homes and ever since the IU fans went crazy in 2012; Calipari has refused to go back but has publicly said he would welcome neutral site games like the series used to feature in Louisville and Indianapolis.

ETA:  But yes, if Alford declines I agree that Archie is the hottest name in coaching.  Gregg Marshall at WSU would also be a good target.

Gregg Marshall is the name being kicked around on the radio here. That is, once Brad Stephens tells them, "thanks but no thanks."  

Marshall would be an exceptional hire IMO.

Every year I fill out my bracket very cynically.  My champion is always the best team that I think no one else in my office pool is going to pick.  Thus far I am 4/6 on picking a team no one else picks, but those teams are 0/4 on winning the tournament.  This year I noticed that Louisville wasn't getting any hype, and yet they've a 2 seed and pretty highly rated by advanced metrics, so I went with them.  I was right, none of the 30 people in my office took them.  Now they just need to do me a solid and win the championship. 

31 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Gregg Marshall is the name being kicked around on the radio here. That is, once Brad Stephens tells them, "thanks but no thanks."  

Marshall would be an exceptional hire IMO.

I think Gregggggg won't leave WSU.  He's getting paid ridiculous money there (although IU is probably one of the few places that would be able to up that to "fuck you money"), and I think he really loves playing off that little man syndrome they have at WSU.  He definitely wouldn't be able to do that at IU.  He is kind of a weird dude though, and we know IU likes that.

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Every year I fill out my bracket very cynically.  My champion is always the best team that I think no one else in my office pool is going to pick.  Thus far I am 4/6 on picking a team no one else picks, but those teams are 0/4 on winning the tournament.  This year I noticed that Louisville wasn't getting any hype, and yet they've a 2 seed and pretty highly rated by advanced metrics, so I went with them.  I was right, none of the 30 people in my office took them.  Now they just need to do me a solid and win the championship. 

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Wilmington is giving UVA everything they can handle right now.  A solid game with Princeton and Notre Dame also.

I'm streaming the UVA game on my phone right now through my Xfinity App.  Unfortunately, CBS only allows direct streaming if you are attached to your home WiFi.  So I can't watch the main game with that.

I may search it out on my office desktop to see if I can watch it directly on the CBS website.  Hate that some channels make things so difficult.

Archived