College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm streaming the UVA game on my phone right now through my Xfinity App.  Unfortunately, CBS only allows direct streaming if you are attached to your home WiFi.  So I can't watch the main game with that.

Get back to work, slacker!  What do you think this is, an unpaid vacation day!? 

:P

I'm pulling for UNCW as that was one of my early round upsets! 

7 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Get back to work, slacker!  What do you think this is, an unpaid vacation day!? 

:P

I'm pulling for UNCW as that was one of my early round upsets! 

:thumbsup: 

Nothing quite so radical as all that.  ;) 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's not how I remember the play in games coming about.  

The first play in game was because one of those smallish mountain conferences split in two. Both were eligible for an auto bid and rather than reduce the number of a team large teams, they moved the field to 65.

that I was ok with - it added an interesting twist.  But to have 11 seeds or something playoff - that's the part that has not made sense to me.

So we all know the mojo of 12s regularly beating 5s in the Tournament, but has a 12 ever been favored over a 5? :blink:  I just looked at my Yahoo Sports app and it shows that Minnesota is a 1.5 point dog to MTSU! I picked Middle to win and thought they were underseeded, but I can't remember ever seeing this before.

How does Notre Dame have the exact same team every year?  It's a bunch of ugly, unathletic, undersized guys.  There is always some atrocious 6'5" guy who plays inside with an old man game. Every fucking year.

4 minutes ago, sperry said:

How does Notre Dame have the exact same team every year?  It's a bunch of ugly, unathletic, undersized guys.  There is always some atrocious 6'5" guy who plays inside with an old man game. Every fucking year.

You aren't kidding... and they all stay 12 years.

I watched them in the ACC tournament and couldn't believe that Steve Vastoria is still there.  The epic UK v ND game was just two tourneys ago, but it still seems like a lifetime to me.

ETA:  I tend to feel the same way about Wisconsin too.  But substitute Bronson Koenig for Vastoria.

4 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

So we all know the mojo of 12s regularly beating 5s in the Tournament, but has a 12 ever been favored over a 5? :blink:  I just looked at my Yahoo Sports app and it shows that Minnesota is a 1.5 point dog to MTSU! I picked Middle to win and thought they were underseeded, but I can't remember ever seeing this before.

I think I saw that there was one back in the 90s I think.

Yep - since 1999, Lamar Odom and RI were favored.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

You aren't kidding... and they all stay 12 years.

I watched them in the ACC tournament and couldn't believe that Steve Vastoria is still there.  The epic UK v ND game was just two tourneys ago, but it still seems like a lifetime to me.

ETA:  I tend to feel the same way about Wisconsin too.  But substitute Bronson Koenig for Vastoria.

I remember when the Illini were that way - but good.  They were all 6'5-6'8" and could fly all over the place.

20 minutes ago, Week said:

Everyone, point and laugh at @Whiskeyjack and @Jaxom 1974 as the first to fall from perfection (picked Princeton over ND). :P

I can't wait to join that list imminently!

My master plan of watching zero minutes of college basketball and picking the top few upsets on a list I read is failing miserably.  Gone 0/2 so far.

9 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

I remember when the Illini were that way - but good.  They were all 6'5-6'8" and could fly all over the place.

The Deron Williams - Dee Brown - Luther Head era was the best.

But they were all great athletes.

And they did have James Augustine in the middle.

12 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

My master plan of watching zero minutes of college basketball and picking the top few upsets on a list I read is failing miserably.  Gone 0/2 so far.

Too much precision! 

Archived