College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

11 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

How many times did you have to watch that shot today?  I counted 4, but I was at the dentist with the boys during that game and only caught about half of it.

Thankfully none since I just got home in time to catch the last minute, although the announcers just had to bring it up right there at the end when Vandy was inbounding the ball with less than 2 seconds left.  

So I thought I did well yesterday picking 13/16 and then I log into the bracket challenge and naturally I'm middle of the pack. :lol:  Two perfect brackets day one! Very impressive.

14 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That Minn loss puts me at 5/7 with Northwestern threatening to put me at 5/8. And I had Minn winning in the next round. Damn Gophers...

Same here. We should have listened to my cynical side:

On 3/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Holy crap, my alma mater is good this year? It's a trap, I say! 

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I picked all the wrong upsets and that hurt me, but my bracket is still intact. The only one u had going to the Sweet 16 was Nevada. And, all I can say to that is, F×#$ you Jay Bilas! Why? Why, would i ever listen to Jay Bilas?

Dude, I'm a Duke fan and I can't listen to him.  There's no reason aside from being assessed penalty time and having to sit through a video or something.

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Looks like Week and Trisky came out on top with a perfect day one. 16 for 16! Very nice.

@Triskan - you and me, kid! Bravo.

1 minute ago, Whiskeyjack said:

*gets 14 in a row after missing the first 2*

*laughs at Week*

*sees Week went 16/16*

*laughs at Mexal instead*

I want to brag about my completely undeserved, uneducated, and uninformed success ... so I will.

I AM THE BEST (w/ Trisk).

I expect that my bracket will be in the middle of the pack by the end of the day today.

I feel like the President at the end of The Fifth Element.

"I have a doubt."

I am honestly concerned that Duke is going to come out flat like they did a few years ago - they played up to win the ACC, their legs should be fresh but will their brains be in it.  Even CBS is sort of saying it is a watchout.

One thing I hadn't seen - there has been an 11-6 upset each year for the last 13 years, even more consistent than the 12-5.

Why do the two programs from the state of Kentucky have the lamest mascots in all of college sports?  Blue blood college athletic programs are known for their unique, awesome nicknames:

Buckeyes, Sooners, Tar Heels, Fighting Irish, Wolverines, Jayhawks, Crimson Tide, etc. 

And then the state of Kentucky comes up with the "Wildcats" and the "Cardinals".  Those are nicknames I'd expect for a middle school founded in 1997, not tradition rich schools with a century plus of athletic achievement.

Really?  Unique, maybe.  Awesome is subjective. Original?

Buckeye - Someone from Ohio

Sooner - Someone from Oklahoma

Tarheel - Someone from North Carolina

Fighting Irish:  French-Irish Catholic school

Wolverines:  I'd agree is a pretty awesome mascot

Jayhawk:  Made up fictitious bird.  "Rock Chalk Jayhawk!" completely makes sense as well.

Crimson Tide:  Nickname that originated with the awesomeness of the football team.  Tuscaloosa has no tides, 200 miles inland.

21 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Really?  Unique, maybe.  Awesome is subjective. Original?

Buckeye - Someone from Ohio

Sooner - Someone from Oklahoma

Tarheel - Someone from North Carolina

Fighting Irish:  French-Irish Catholic school

Wolverines:  I'd agree is a pretty awesome mascot

Jayhawk:  Made up fictitious bird.  "Rock Chalk Jayhawk!" completely makes sense as well.

Crimson Tide:  Nickname that originated with the awesomeness of the football team.  Tuscaloosa has no tides, 200 miles inland.

Those are all awesome mascots. Wildcat = not awesome.

The Buckeye is just about the stupidest mascot I've ever heard. 

Also, New Mexico State seems feisty thus far.  We'll see if they can keep it going.  It helps that they are playing Baylor, who are the chokingest team in all of college sports. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Buckeye is just about the stupidest mascot I've ever heard. 

Also, New Mexico State seems fiesty thus far.  We'll see if they can keep it going.  It helps that they are playing Baylor, who was the chokingest team in all of college sports. 

Yea, I've got Baylor going out in Rd. 2 to SMU anyway.  I don't know if it's Scott Drew or what but they don't seem to be a great team when something is on the line.  They have a stellar list of wins, but most of those big ones were early season.  When they reached #1 and had to defend it, WVU destroyed them, Kansas (always the team to beat if you wanna do anything in the Big 12) swept them, and then they got bounced in the first round of the Big 12 conference tournament.  They've had early exits in the NCAA tourney the last couple years to boot.  

Is this March Madness or March Snoozefest?  The Vegas favorites have won every game but one (Maryland was a slight favorite).  No overtimes, no buzzer beaters and even the closest games (like most of MI-OK State) all end with an anti-climax.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Oklahoma State should have won that game. Michigan had a complete nonsense shooting performance.

Really?  Aggh.  I was only able to see about the last two minutes of the first half.

1 minute ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Really?  Aggh.  I was only able to see about the last two minutes of the first half.

Yep, 16-29 for the game, pretty routinely doing nothing on offense for 27 seconds and draining contested 3s. It was tough to watch.

Archived