College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Oh @Mexal... I'm so sorry... I have no words...

He could be using it as leverage. It doesn't make any sense to go to LSU. He has no ties to the school, it doesn't have a good basketball team, it's not the focus of the school and he doesn't really gain much by being there. It's not even a lateral move. If he makes a move to LSU after 2 years then fuck him. He deserves all the pain he'll feel there.

I will say, if Wade leaves, we're fucked. We'll likely lose a 2nd recruiting class in 3 years. That will set us back years.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

He could be using it as leverage. It doesn't make any sense to go to LSU. He has no ties to the school, it doesn't have a good basketball team, it's not the focus of the school and he doesn't really gain much by being there. It's not even a lateral move. If he makes a move to LSU after 2 years then fuck him. He deserves all the pain he'll feel there.

Totally. That school is a basketball dead zone. Gary Parrish had an anecdote on his radio show a couple weeks ago about that program that I found interesting - several years back when they made the Final Four (the Tyrus Thomas/Big Baby team), they sold out exactly one home game at the Maravich Assembly Center. That is just pathetic, especially considering how easy it is logistically for a critical mass of their fans to attend games.

Baseball is far and away the #2 sport at LSU with basketball a distant third.

Wade has to know that which is why I have a really hard time believing he'd take the job. Rumors are saying Clemson contacted Wade but he turned them down so they decided to keep Brownell. No idea if it's true but if it's true, I cannot believe he'd take a job at LSU over Clemson, especially with the team he has coming up at VCU and the support the school gives the basketball team.

12 hours ago, sperry said:

When he was hired he knew what the scenario was.  They had just paid a shit ton of money to buy out Travis Ford, they couldn't afford to pay a coach a bunch of money. He was offered a moderate raise, and then Illinois just went nuts and threw this offer out there, which he had to take of course.  OSU is going to be terrible next year, so it's great for him to have an escape.

They actually made money for him to coach their team this year.  They paid him a million (plus bonuses) and got three million from Illinois to buyout his contract.  I find that hilarious.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Greenville is Clemson/ACC territory not really a hotbed of support for the Gamecocks.

Scot, I'm starting to think you're the most literal man in the world.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Best conference in basketball!

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I will say, if Wade leaves, we're fucked. We'll likely lose a 2nd recruiting class in 3 years. That will set us back years.

He would be crazy to make that move.  The only way I could see it happening is if LSU throws some crazy money at him, but this offseason has definitely had that theme so far.  However, as noted, LSU doesn't give two shits about basketball, so I can't imagine them doing that.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Lots of rumors out of Louisiana that Wade is going to take the LSU job. There was a team meeting at 3pm. Guess we'll find out tonight.

If you or someone you know is considering career suicide... please, get help.  There is a support network out there and people love you.

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

If you or someone you know is considering career suicide... please, get help.  There is a support network out there and people love you.

Seriously. I want to send him a phone number.

Looks like he had a team meeting today but didn't mention he was leaving. That's at least positive news.

Not at the moment but he's definitely a rising star that will get a lot of looks as more power 5 jobs open up. He's basically what Shaka Smart was 5 years ago; a young, 34 year old who's a good coach, good recruiter and part of a successful program. I don't think he's ready resume wise but he could be in a few years if he stayed with VCU, developed these draft classes he has recruited and won in March.

Word is Wade thinks LSU could be like Florida if they invested in the program. I don't know. This could be Smart/Marquette all over again. Who knows.

Quick question:  Why the fuck are teams still hiring the VCU coach?  It's like "I know the last three former VCU coaches have failed when they left, but this guy who has done a worse job at VCU than they did will definitely break the streak!"

8 minutes ago, sperry said:

Quick question:  Why the fuck are teams still hiring the VCU coach?  It's like "I know the last three former VCU coaches have failed when they left, but this guy who has done a worse job at VCU than they did will definitely break the streak!"

Wade has done a worse job at VCU then previous coaches? Must have missed that.

I get your point (it's the same ones fans make when trying to understand why a coach would leave) but that's what happens at "mid-majors". Either the coach stays for a long time (Greg Marshall, Mark Few) or someone hires him away because he was successful. This is pretty standard.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Wade has done a worse job at VCU then previous coaches? Must have missed that.

I get your point (it's the same ones fans make when trying to understand why a coach would leave) but that's what happens at "mid-majors". Either the coach stays for a long time (Greg Marshall, Mark Few) or someone hires him away because he was successful. This is pretty standard.

I get why teams hire mid major coaches. It made a lot of sense to hire Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant, and Shaka Smart. Each of them elevated a smaller program to something larger. They improved on what was left behind. Wade, for two seasons, has not elevated the program from where Shaka left it. I would argue that he hasn't done anything to merit getting a bigger job.  Not saying that he won't eventually get there, but it's nuts to hire him right now. Wait and see if the guy can recruit and build before you hire him.

17 minutes ago, sperry said:

I get why teams hire mid major coaches. It made a lot of sense to hire Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant, and Shaka Smart. Each of them elevated a smaller program to something larger. They improved on what was left behind. Wade, for two seasons, has not elevated the program from where Shaka left it. I would argue that he hasn't done anything to merit getting a bigger job.  Not saying that he won't eventually get there, but it's nuts to hire him right now. Wait and see if the guy can recruit and build before you hire him.

I agree with you to some extent, in that hiring Wade now isn't smart before he proves he can develop the players he recruits and put his stamp on the program.  But here are a few things to note:

1. Wade inherited a team that lost an entire recruiting class and Terry Larrier. At the time, Larrier and Mack were top 50 recruits, Kenny Williams was a top 100 at UNC and Jordan Murphy has been good at Minnesota. Going into next year, we do not have a junior class and only have two seniors. The year before Wade arrived, Weber/Graham left, both of which are in the NBA. The talent depletion was a huge issue with Smart left.

2. This year's team massively overachieved. It was probably the least talented team VCU has had since the Final Four run, coupled with the loss of our top 50 freshman for 17 games. I give Wade a lot of credit for getting us into the tournament, finishing second in A-10 and getting to A-10 championship with this team.

3. Wade is a good recruiter. He nabbed De'Riante Jenkins last year, a top 50 recruit and 4 top 150 recruits this season, including the top player in NC (Lavar Batts Jr). He also already has a 4* commitment for 2018. He's tireless on the recruiting trail and seems to have a really good rapport with players and their families. Of the last 5 recruits who have taking an OV with us, he has nailed all 5 and they had competing offers at power 5 schools.

The issue, as I said above, is that we still have no idea if he can develop these players and take the program forward. The fact that he kept the program where it was after everyone and their mother expected us to fail when Smart and his latest recruits left is a testament to how good a coach he is. But his resume is light and he's only 34. It'd behoove him to stay another few years and build the team in his image before seeking out greener pastures. 

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

And it's official, Wade leaves for LSU. Say goodbye to VCU for the next few years. I hope he fails miserably.

He will. As you said in the prior post, he should've built the team into his vision and 5 years down the road, a bigger, better job would've been ripe for the picking.

56 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

That's a real head-scratcher.  Wtf?

LSU seems like a step down... is it a money grab?

It looks like it's a money grab and conference envy. 

VCU moves quickly and they'll likely hire Mike Rhoades, former assistant to Smart and current coach at Rice. I think it'd be a good hire. I just hope with the hire, they'll be able to keep Batts. The others I would love but Batts is the key.

I never understand the logic of people who take the quick cash versus long-term prosperity.  

Stay at VCU a few more years and continue to develop the program (and your resume), and then probably have your pick of at least a couple power 5 jobs that are much more desirable... or strike when the iron it hot and take a job at LSU, where basketball is an afterthought, likely fail, and then you're pretty much back to square one trying to develop a mid-tier mid-major into a top-tier mid major, which is where you started.  And easier said than done. 

Sometimes in life you've got to strike while the iron is hot... but sometimes you've got to realize when it's going to burn the shit outta your hand. 

And VCU has built itself to somewhat of a mid-major powerhouse. I just don't get. Competing in the tournament, winning games in the tournament vs 7-28 and a school that doesn't see Bball as a priority. Money talks as they say. But, Will this ultimately be best for his career? I am highly doubtful it will. And, I hate seeing the Power 5 vultures come and decimate a very good mid-major program with these type of moves. Ultimately, Mrs. Wade could've said, "Will, your taking that money, we have a family to think about.". That could be a factor too.

Archived