College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

2 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

From what I saw on twitter, Underwood wanted to stay at OSU and all he was asking was a pay bump to put him at the Big XII average (he had the lowest pay in the Big XII), and the OSU AD didn't want to do that.  Then Illinois offers him three times what he's getting at OSU... yeah, I'd be gone too.

Oh,

When he was hired he knew what the scenario was.  They had just paid a shit ton of money to buy out Travis Ford, they couldn't afford to pay a coach a bunch of money. He was offered a moderate raise, and then Illinois just went nuts and threw this offer out there, which he had to take of course.  OSU is going to be terrible next year, so it's great for him to have an escape.

17 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I try not to complain about reffing, but Louisville is abusing Michigan all over the court but the Ann Arbor boys aren't even allowed to look directly at the hillbillies without a whistle.

Yeah there have been a lot of questionable calls in the two Michigan games so far. I went to the 1st round game (as a Michigan fan I am sure my view is tainted) and man it felt like all of the calls that were toss ups went the other way. Nice to see that it's not just us Michigan slappies who feel this way.

BTW, great time in Indianapolis. We didn't get to spend much time there but man the area around the arena is what all cities should strive for. Lots of restaurants and bars in walking distance of the stadiums. I've been to Cleveland down around Jacobs Field and it has some cool areas where alleys have been closed to create this vibe but nothing to this extent. Detroit should be taking note. New hockey/basketball arena going up not too far from Ford Field and Comerica Park, they have a chance to get this right and I hope they do.

Second BTW, I am not a big basketball fan and decided on Thursday to buy tickets for the Friday game just on a whim. If you are a basketball fan this is something you have to experience. Having the chance to watch a couple games and interact with fans from 8 different teams was a fun time.

Oh and for the bracket challenge, my East bracket is destroyed! My hope died with Duke and Villanova both going down. Happy to see Michigan advancing even though it messes up my Midwest bracket!

I woke up today and somehow the sun seems a little brighter... the birds chirping just a little more enthusiastically... the grass is a little greener...  :smug: 

There's an old joke in the Bluegrass State, "How do you know its spring in Kentucky?  The Cardinals are sitting on the fence watching the Cats play."  :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

When my son went to the "Cub Scout" Day at the USC basketball arena last year Coach Martin came out to talk to the kids.  He was great.  I don't think he photographs very well.  

13 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

@Rhom's kid should have played too, although in hindsight I guess it was kind that he didn't. I don't know if Rhom could survive watching his son pick Louisville to win it all. 

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

It's funny cuz it's true. And sad.  I knew Duke could lose any of the games, I really just didn't expect it til at least next round.

Now, do I root for ACC or support all my Kentucky friends.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

@Rhom's kid should have played too, although in hindsight I guess it was kind that he didn't. I don't know if Rhom could survive watching his son pick Louisville to win it all. 

You don't even know the pain... At the end of the first half he was cheering for UofL, midway through the second he was a Michigan fan.

He's already six!!!!  I feel that I've failed as a father that I haven't taught him not to switch teams in the middle of a game by now.

I don't know if I've ever shared this next story or not.  I'd never been around kids before dating my wife.  Her daughter was 5 when we met and started dating.  My wife's ex-husband is a Louisville fan (should have been her first clue obviously...) and my in-laws had always avoided buying her anything UK to avoid starting any sort of fight.  As the new guy on the block, I figured I hadn't made any such promises.  :)  So I taught her the C-A-T-S Cats Cats Cats cheer and other necessities.  To her dad's credit, he has always been a good sport about it.  So anyways, we had been dating about three months when UK played UofL that year.  It was the second year of the dark times we call the Gillispie years.  We go to her parents' house to watch and at the beginning of the game, Bella is bouncing around the room chanting "Go Cats!  Go Cats!"  Like most five year old girls, she lost interest quickly and went into the other room to play with her dolls.  Later in the game, she comes back in and asks:

"Who's winning?" 

"UofL".  

"Which one is that?"

"The Cardinals"

"Go Cardinals!  Go Cardinals!"

"Sweetheart... we don't change who we cheer for in the middle of the game."

:crying: "My daddy told me I can cheer for whoever I want!!!!!!" :crying: 

"And you can... but you don't switch mid-game."

:crying:  :leaving: 

So my future in laws and I couldn't help but chuckle a bit.  To this, my new girlfriend who one day will become my wife looks at us in disgust and says "She is five years old!" and storms out of the room.  :lol: 

Worth it to teach the kid an important lesson though!  :thumbsup: 

5 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

It's funny cuz it's true. And sad.  I knew Duke could lose any of the games, I really just didn't expect it til at least next round.

Now, do I root for ACC or support all my Kentucky friends.

You're a Duke fan and you think you could honestly cheer for UNC?  :blink:

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

You're a Duke fan and you think you could honestly cheer for UNC?  :blink:

You'll note I couldn't even type the name....or initials...or even "lesser school from down the street"...

2 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

You'll note I couldn't even type the name....or initials...or even "lesser school from down the street"...

Fair enough.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haha, that's grounds for being put up for adoption in my household. :) 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Fair enough.

It definitely is different for me living where I am, being a Duke fan.  I don't have the lifelong investment of either going there or anything like that so if it was UNC and Syracuse (somehow) - I'd be rooting for UNC because I loathe Cuse.

Archived