College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

18 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

@Rhom, you're  thinking ahead til the Elite 8 already? Wow, seems like you forget how March really works sometimes...

We're Kentucky fans.  The Elite 8 is our birthright.  ;) 

Honestly, I'm only half joking about that.  In Calipari's time here, we only missed that mark in the snakebit NIT year and last year's criminally underseeded team.  (Honestly... our resume was the same as aTm and we beat them in the SEC title game.  They got the higher seed and a cake bracket.)

Until the last couple of years, Tubby pretty much always made the Elite 8 (and then lost to Michigan State... :bang: ).

Pitino only missed that mark in 1994.

For whatever reason, Kentucky has never been a team that really falls victim to bizarre early upsets like some.  UAB knocking off the 2004 team and Marquette beating the above mentioned 94 team are the only ones I can even remember.  In my mind, year in and year out, anything less than an Elite 8 is a failure.  That may sound arrogant or delusional, but its truth.

Edit:  And yes... I fully realize that by putting this in writing, I'm pretty much guaranteeing that UK will get the last one seed and then become the first top seeded team to ever lose to a sixteen.  :lol: 

I think I've said before, I never really want a one seed.  I'm always happy with a two.  Because one day, a sixteen is going to beat a one... and I don't want my team to be the answer to that trivia question!

Nice draw for WVU, could definitely see them in the F4!

Kentucky's bracket is not surprising at all.  Wichita St is Ken Pom #8 team.  UCLA as the three is brutal.

But as a wise man once said "To be the best, you gotta beat the best.  Wooooooo!"

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

The fact that talking heads can say Duke is in discussion for a one seed with a straight face is a straight up travesty.

yep - even with the tourney win they are at best a 3 seed.  WInning 4 games in a row after the season they had doesn't deserve a 1 or 2.

35 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Nice draw for WVU, could definitely see them in the F4!

Kentucky's bracket is not surprising at all.  Wichita St is Ken Pom #8 team.  UCLA as the three is brutal.

But as a wise man once said "To be the best, you gotta beat the best.  Wooooooo!"

Unlike you, I will NOT do any jinxing or reverse-jinking. ;)  

I do like our draw. But, we go on our shooting. If, we don't shake this slump, we are not going far. But, if we can shoot semi decent, I like our chances against anyone, and I've felt like that all year. But, the level of cold that we can go is ridiculous.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:10 PM, Ded As Ned said:

Bump... get signed up!  Brackets are out.

As to that, UK got a fair draw, of course UCLA is in the same region, but we avoid WVU and Kansas until the finals... so fair enough.  I think we take UCLA in a rematch.  

Wow, I actually like our draw :leaving: 

I can't remember ever saying that.  Looking at the rankings of the teams, we got the worst 2, 4, and 5.  We do get the best 3, but they're definitely not the same team now.  It is a little weird that we could possibly meet ISU in KC, but it looks like Nevada is a very similar team to ISU so that's a good possibility of an upset.  I also think that OSU has a real shot to beat Michigan, because I don't think Michigan can keep their magic running and are probably overseeded because of this past week.  Baylor has been playing terribly, so that's a very likely 14 over 3 upset (for the third straight year).

The West bracket looks like a great draw for everybody in it!  Easiest bracket all around with the Midwest second.  East is the toughest, and the bottom half of the South is brutal (but on the top half UNC has a cakewalk to the Elite Eight).  

Three former Bill Self assistant in the tourney.  That's awesome.  SMU, Wake, and FGCU (their game against FSU will be frenetic).

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

The only thing more predictable than that was Bilas bitching about Duke's seeding. He's the worst homer around.

He used to act pretty impartial, but has been getting worse and worse lately.  The past couple of days it was laughable.  Jay Williams is the opposite.

27 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Gonzaga will not survive the first weekend. Vandy will take them down, if not someone else.  WVU I think got a very favorable bracket, and could easily come out of there to the final 4. 

You serious?

I think an Arizona-WVU game would be really interesting.  Arizona is playing really well right now.

I'm liking how UK is flying under the radar this year... none of the talking heads have us in the Final 4, and I can see why with the path to get there.  Hoping the rematch with UCLA happens.

I've not settled on a final 4 yet, but narrowing it down to 8 I have:  Villanova/Duke, WVU/Arizona, UNC/UK, and KU/Louisville.  Seems to be a lot more toss-up games than usual this year in the earlier rounds.

12 hours ago, Triskan said:

No.  Gonzaga beat Arizona in the pre-season, and they're 1-2 in the West region.  I'm hoping neither loses early.  

Heh, I don't know if we get by ND or not, but I think the winner of that game takes down Gonzaga. If the Zags were a 4 or 5 with a few losses I'd be more worried about them. As a 1, I think all the pressure lies on their shoulders, and that's not good for a mid-major. 

That being said, I'd rather see the Zags win the title than a blue blood, any day.

Archived