Anyone else thinks this bit of aDwD makes no sense?

Good Guy Garlan

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

This is a very good point - so I'm not just quoting because I'm creepily into Lady B's words.  Once Moqorro blows everything to shit, Jorah the slave seems decidedly different than he was beforehand when he was waxing poetic about Dany and informing Tyrion on the intricacies of Volantene electoral politics.  Jorah the slave seems well on his way back up from rock bottom by the end of ADWD, which suggests by the time he actually does encounter Dany, his viewpoint on the whole relationship may have fundamentally changed from the point when he kidnapped Tyrion.

How so?  I don't think he's remotely changed, other than realizing his slavery is coming to an end and that he has another chance to "win" Dany over. 

2 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

How so?  I don't think he's remotely changed, other than realizing his slavery is coming to an end and that he has another chance to "win" Dany over. 

Yes. if anything...

Spoiler

...he's more desperate and reckless than he's ever been. He kills that Yunkish fellow in one of the Tyrion chapters, remember? That was quite the executive decision. What if Brown Ben Plumm had decided not to switch back to Daenerys? The murder forces Ben's hand, albeit, luckily, to where he wanted to put it anyway. But was Jorah certain of that, or was he just willing to risk getting sent back to the Yunkish camp in chains and getting executed?

I think he's passed through hopelessness and despair and come out the other side into a sort of supreme not giving a fuck, at least about himself. He's got nothing left at this point except that desire to possess Daenerys.

You forget how spineless Jorah is, and how infatuated with Daenerys.

That guy sold people into slavery to cater to the whims of his first wife.

if there was a snowball's chance in hell Daenerys would even allow him back into the same city as she resides in, he would go for it.

So while I agree that it isn't character development, it is in character for Ser Friendzone.

On 7 March 2017 at 2:59 PM, Good Guy Garlan said:

I get GRRM is trying to sell as an excuse that he's ~ crazy in luv ~ and is not thinking straight or whatever, but I'm not buying. This isn't some romantic schoolboy with a crush, he's a grizzled, wordly man who should know better. Like, Dany isn't even into him! Catch a hint, Mormont! 

He was a lot like a romantic schoolboy when obsessed with his wife and remains like it. He should know better but he doesn't.  This is the man who bankrupted his house and his honour to buy stuff for his pretty blond wife, who likewise, wasn't in to him. You gotta admit at least someone with magical egg hatching powers who leads armies has a bit more going to justify his obsession. 

Tyrion wasn't being taken to Dany as a hostage but as a potential ally and advisor. Perhaps Jorah was wise enough to recognise his value when others mightn't. And if she didn't want him, he has at least given her a Lannister to kill.

5 hours ago, Castellan said:

Tyrion wasn't being taken to Dany as a hostage but as a potential ally and advisor. Perhaps Jorah was wise enough to recognise his value when others mightn't. And if she didn't want him, he has at least given her a Lannister to kill.

What the ever loving?  

Jorah is taking her back thinking that giving her a Lannister to kill for treason against her father will win back her good graces. Jorah in no way, shape, or form is thinking about Tyrion being an adviser. 

14 hours ago, dmc515 said:

This is a very good point - so I'm not just quoting because I'm creepily into Lady B's words.  Once Moqorro blows everything to shit, Jorah the slave seems decidedly different than he was beforehand when he was waxing poetic about Dany and informing Tyrion on the intricacies of Volantene electoral politics.  Jorah the slave seems well on his way back up from rock bottom by the end of ADWD, which suggests by the time he actually does encounter Dany, his viewpoint on the whole relationship may have fundamentally changed from the point when he kidnapped Tyrion.

:lmao:

I didn't even notice any actual character development going on with Jorah. You make a good point though. By the end of his Jorah the Explorer phase he may be a changed man. And it will be interesting to see how Dany reacts to his slave tattoo as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived