S John

Whisk(e)y

132 posts in this topic

Was having a discussion on another board and came to the following conclusion:

Bourbon is for people who haven't had enough Scotch to know how much better Scotch is.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, S John said:

Was having a discussion on another board and came to the following conclusion:

Bourbon is for people who haven't had enough Scotch to know how much better Scotch is.

Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more. Bourbon = Noob Scotch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, S John said:

Was having a discussion on another board and came to the following conclusion:

Bourbon is for people who haven't had enough Scotch to know how much better Scotch is.

Thoughts?

You are wrong.  Bourbon and scotch have different purposes and different uses and they both should be appreciated for what they are.  I seldom drink hard liquor, but when I do it is almost always scotch or bourbon.  I do not like mixing scotch with ANYTHING else, and do not drink scotch in the summer - it's quintessentially a winter drink for me.  Bourbon is more versatile, mixes better IMO, and I associate it with summer.  So you know, a little whisk(e)y love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

33 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You are wrong.  Bourbon and scotch have different purposes and different uses and they both should be appreciated for what they are.  I seldom drink hard liquor, but when I do it is almost always scotch or bourbon.  I do not like mixing scotch with ANYTHING else, and do not drink scotch in the summer - it's quintessentially a winter drink for me.  Bourbon is more versatile, mixes better IMO, and I associate it with summer.  So you know, a little whisk(e)y love.

Additionally, you can get into a very nice bourbon at a significantly lower price point than you can for a comparably nice scotch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You are wrong.  Bourbon and scotch have different purposes and different uses and they both should be appreciated for what they are.  I seldom drink hard liquor, but when I do it is almost always scotch or bourbon.  I do not like mixing scotch with ANYTHING else, and do not drink scotch in the summer - it's quintessentially a winter drink for me.  Bourbon is more versatile, mixes better IMO, and I associate it with summer.  So you know, a little whisk(e)y love.

I agree that Scotch is not for mixing.  Well, I guess you can get away with a blended scotch for certain cocktails and that would be alright... but the point is that it would be something of a sacrilege to sit yourself down for a nice single malt and coke. 

However!  I think it is precisely because Bourbon is less good (and therefore less sacred) that it's OK to put it with coke or something.  I get that it's mixability in itself is an asset, I'm just saying if I sit down and drink a glass of straight liquor, it'll be Scotch.  Some of the single malts out there, after the first bite, are as smooth as a drink with half the alcohol content.  It is the nectar of the gods.  To me, even a good Bourbon is overly sweet and can't quite shake the residual corn flavor.  

I mean, it pains me as an American to have to acknowledge that our stuff isn't the best in the world, but it's been a well researched conclusion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Both are delicious in their own way.  I actually prefer a good Irish whiskey to either, but they are all pretty good.  I would never, ever, ever mix anything decent unless I'm making an old fashioned.  If you're going to mix your bourbon with coke, you might as well just get some Jim Beam and save yourself some $$$.  If you're going to drink bourbon, spend $40 and get something decent.

Edited by aceluby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, S John said:

I mean, it pains me as an American to have to acknowledge that our stuff isn't the best in the world, but it's been a well researched conclusion. 

The Scotch have had way more practice, to be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, S John said:

I agree that Scotch is not for mixing.  Well, I guess you can get away with a blended scotch for certain cocktails and that would be alright... but the point is that it would be something of a sacrilege to sit yourself down for a nice single malt and coke. 

However!  I think it is precisely because Bourbon is less good (and therefore less sacred) that it's OK to put it with coke or something.

No one with any sense mixes decent bourbon with coke.  There are a plethora of delicious bourbon cocktails, and there are certainly situation where drinking straight whiskey is sub optimal.

With scotch you have basically...  a rob roy (which is a bastardized manhattan)...  And very few others.

Both scotch and bourbon (and rye) have their place, and all can be appreciated fully under the right circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I like it all. I drink bourbon, scotch and lately, Japenese/Taiwanese whisky. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time I go to my bar cart.

Edited by Mexal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wanting to try the Japanese ones for a while now, just haven't gotten around to it - any specific recs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yamazaki 12 (or older) if you can find it. Hibiki not bad either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I really enjoy Hibiki, though Nikka is easier to find here.

Apart from that... Bourbon and Scotch don't have the same purpose for me. Scotch is when you want to take your time enjoying a strong drink, feeling relaxed and peaceful enough to enjoy the subtleties of its flavor. Bourbon is a mellower beast when you're mainly after alcohol.

Edited by Rippounet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some 1792 bourbon about 6 months ago and thought it was good but a bit sweet for my taste. Have tried different bourbons a few times since but I prefer something less sweet.

A few of the Tasmanian whiskies are quite nice at the moment. I had some of that sullivans cove french oak that won in 2015 and liked it but wouldn't pay that much for it again. I like the Hellyers road pinot cask and Nant is my partners favourite, either that or a lowland like Auchentoshan 3 wood to give you an idea of flavour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

 

Additionally, you can get into a very nice bourbon at a significantly lower price point than you can for a comparably nice scotch.

Yup. @Rhom recently turned me on to a bourbon called Four Roses. It's really good, only costs around $22 (depending on your location) and it tastes incredibly similar to some nice scotches I've had that are more than twice that cost. 

34 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Apart from that... Bourbon and Scotch don't have the same purpose for me. Scotch is when you want to take your time enjoying a strong drink, feeling relaxed and peaceful enough to enjoy the subtleties of its flavor. Bourbon is a mellower beast when you're mainly after alcohol.

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yup. @Rhom recently turned me on to a bourbon called Four Roses. It's really good, only costs around $22 (depending on your location) and it tastes incredibly similar to some nice scotches I've had that are more than twice that cost. 

This. 

Four Roses is decent.  I've actually been drinking more Rye's than Bourbons these days.  Same benefits with a little less sweetness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Four Roses is decent.  I've actually been drinking more Rye's than Bourbons these days.  Same benefits with a little less sweetness.

I do like Rye.  Somewhere between Bourbon and Scotch on my scale.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Four Roses is decent.  I've actually been drinking more Rye's than Bourbons these days.  Same benefits with a little less sweetness.

I like mixing with rye whiskey. I feel like it adds a lot of flavor to the drink.

Four Roses is good, especially for the price. I like Basel Hayden which is sweeter and I'm a huge Blanton's fan. Always have a bottle on my bar cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I like mixing with rye whiskey. I feel like it adds a lot of flavor to the drink.

Four Roses is good, especially for the price. I like Basel Hayden which is sweeter and I'm a huge Blanton's fan. Always have a bottle on my bar cart.

My wife is a fan of Blanton's.  Woodford Reserve is generally my go to bourbon.

The Four Roses really is a nice, reasonably priced drink.  I like it quite a bit.

I don't care much for rye whiskey.  It comes across as too harsh for me.

Last year I tried something interesting; there's a Marriott in Louisville that was remodeled with a bourbon theme a couple years back.  In their whiskey bar, they have a special freezer that makes bourbon ice cubes.  I have learned to enjoy my whiskey neat, so that often means warm.  By using the ice cubes made from the bourbon, it chills the beverage without diluting the drink.  Yum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I like mixing with rye whiskey. I feel like it adds a lot of flavor to the drink.

 

yeah.  You can pretty much sub in Rye for bourbon in almost any cocktail recipe.

I've been making a ton of suburbans, old fashioneds and manhattans recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

yeah.  You can pretty much sub in Rye for bourbon in almost any cocktail recipe.

I've been making a ton of suburbans, old fashioneds and manhattans recently.

Had a rye old fashioned a few months ago and it just wasn't as smooth as I like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now