Whisk(e)y

S John

8 hours ago, aceluby said:

Got a bottle of 12yo Tullamore Dew Special Reserve over the weekend

Tullamore Dew 12+ years is my favorite Irish. Also "Tullamore" reads like "tue-la-mort" which means "kill death" in French, which is obviously a plus. :P

15 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Tullamore Dew 12+ years is my favorite Irish. Also "Tullamore" reads like "tue-la-mort" which means "kill death" in French, which is obviously a plus. :P

Yeah, it's my favorite Irish as well.  My fiance got me a bottle of it as a housewarming gift when she moved in.  Being solely a scotch drinker at the time I politely thanked her and expected some degree of Jameson.  BOY was I WRONG about that!  Stuff is smooth, woody, and delicious.  Better than some of the middle tier scotches I've got my hands on.  I then realized that Jameson gives Irish Whiskey a bad name, which is really shameful.

It's now my go-to whiskey over most scotches at the same price point.  Though I do sometimes splurge on a 15yr Doublewood when the mood strikes.  That stuff is dangerously good.

15 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Yeah, it's my favorite Irish as well.  My fiance got me a bottle of it as a housewarming gift when she moved in.  Being solely a scotch drinker at the time I politely thanked her and expected some degree of Jameson.  BOY was I WRONG about that!  Stuff is smooth, woody, and delicious.  Better than some of the middle tier scotches I've got my hands on.  I then realized that Jameson gives Irish Whiskey a bad name, which is really shameful.

It's now my go-to whiskey over most scotches at the same price point.  Though I do sometimes splurge on a 15yr Doublewood when the mood strikes.  That stuff is dangerously good.

Interesting. I may have to try that. The only time I ever bought Irish whiskey was a few years back and it was Jameson. I wasn't a fan at all and just figured Irish whiskey wasn't for me.

On 3/12/2017 at 1:33 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

My drinks cabinet currently contains Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Isle of Jura (a heavily peated and a lighter peated).

i also like McCallan Gold

I love Jura and so does my girlfriend.  One of my favorites.  Unfortunately that means it doesn't last very long at my house.

15 hours ago, Swordfish said:

I have a bottle of Redbreast in my liquor cabinet that i got as a gift.  I wouldn't probably spend that much on a single bottle of irish, but it is really tasty.

I want to try Redbreast sometime.  Do you have the 12 year or the 15 year (or something else entirely)?  From the descriptions I've read, I'm leaning toward the 12 year but, hell, maybe I'll try both;)

6 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Stuck home during the storm.  Can barely see the river 70 yards out the window.  Well over a foot of snow here and the storm is only half over.  Have some Templeton Rye to keep me warm.

Pretty jealous of your situation, honestly.  

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Interesting. I may have to try that. The only time I ever bought Irish whiskey was a few years back and it was Jameson. I wasn't a fan at all and just figured Irish whiskey wasn't for me.

Same experience here.  Now after having good Irish whiskey I realized that Jameson is just shit and gives Irish whiskey a bad name.  I had to convince my grandma, who is a scotch only drinker, to even taste it because she had only had Jameson and hated it.

5 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

I want to try Redbreast sometime.  Do you have the 12 year or the 15 year (or something else entirely)?  From the descriptions I've read, I'm leaning toward the 12 year but, hell, maybe I'll try both;)

It's just the straight 12 year old.  

22 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Excellent!  I read a comparison of the 12 and 15 year Redbreast whiskeys somewhere and it made me want to try the 12 year more (doesn't hurt that it's a little less expensive, too):cheers:

Totally!  It's solid.  Tasty even.  BUt it's a bit expensive for what it is.

Oh, I liked to drink whiskey too! ^_^ I'm glad to see here so many people who like this drink too, some of my friends don't understand my tastes :D
My story with this drink began not so long ago, I think that my favourite type at the current time is Glenlivet 12, it really has a nice taste! B) I also saw here http://stylemann.com/how-to-drink-scotch/ for example an interesting list of the some other good whiskey types, I want to try them too :D
And I adore to drink it with ice, for me it's the most delicious way! :D

Scotch is wonderful and complex and old school. I love it. That being said, I spent 3 years living in Kentucky and came to know the bourbon world very well. Bourbon can be just as complex in a different way. It doesn't have smoke and peat in the same way scotch can, but it has caramel and oak and vanilla and many other interesting qualities. Also, there is a robustness in many bourbons that feels weirdly early-American in a pioneering, frontier sort of way that is different from some of the more refined characteristics I associate with scotch. But that is more a personal taste/memory connection than an actual palate observation.

On 14 March 2017 at 3:47 PM, S John said:

I love Jura and so does my girlfriend.  One of my favorites.  Unfortunately that means it doesn't last very long at my house.

My two Jura are Prophecy and Superstition.  

On 3/14/2017 at 11:55 AM, S John said:

Pretty jealous of your situation, honestly.  

And rightly so!  I drank 7/8 the Templeton, shoveled my place and the neighbors with some friends, while observing hourly safety meetings, then dug a bunch of food out of the freezer.  From the darkest depths of winter, I met a day so fair!

On 3/13/2017 at 8:32 PM, Swordfish said:

I have a bottle of Redbreast in my liquor cabinet that i got as a gift.  I wouldn't probably spend that much on a single bottle of irish, but it is really tasty.

Redbreast is amazing.

I seem to recall buying a bottle in college for like 35 bucks.  I was pretty shocked to see it's like 80 now when I saw it at a local liquor store.  

5 hours ago, briantw said:

Redbreast is amazing.

I seem to recall buying a bottle in college for like 35 bucks.  I was pretty shocked to see it's like 80 now when I saw it at a local liquor store.  

I bought it recently for $65 here in NYC where prices are jacked up. It's delicious. 

I currently have bourbon, rye, American, scotch, Irish, Japanese and Taiwanese. What are some other countries/distilleries that makes an excellent bottle? I like an eclectic mix.

On 3/19/2017 at 5:42 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

My two Jura are Prophecy and Superstition.  

I like the Superstition, I'm not sure if I have tried Prophecy.  Last week I went to the liquor store and they only had the Jura 10 yr in stock, which ended up being OK, but I like the superstition a lot better.  

Archived