Whisk(e)y

S John

On Invalid Date at 0:43 AM, Mexal said:

My fiancé bought us tickets for a high end Japanese whiskey tasting later this month at the Brandy Library for my birthday. Cannot wait. These whiskeys will be way out of my price range to own but I'm intrigued to see if there is any true discernible difference in taste based on cost.

What was your verdict?

I always think the Yamazaki 12 is expensive due to rarity but the older Japanese whiskeys I like more than most older scotch I have tried. My partner prefers Auchentoshan over Yamazaki whereas I am the opposite and the price difference is a lot. I had an Old Putenay 21 at a dinner last week and was very impressed but again, I thought the Yamazaki 18 was a little better. I would love to have both really. I always think the Nikka is like rocket fuel although its not bad for cask strength stuff.  The Tokinoka is a bit light for me and the Hakushu seems like a lower quality yamazaki (although I've only tried one hakushu). The only other one I've had a bottle of was Hibiki and I thought I could get better value for money from a Monkey Shoulder or similar. One scotch I was introduced to the other night that I thought was good is a Balvenie Caribbean Cask if you ever get the chance. 

• 3 weeks later...

span data-node-flag="true">a

So, in the past year or so, I've started reading more blogs and watching YouTube videos and whatnot about bourbon though. I've tried, unsuccessfully, to pick up those tasting notes and smells that everyone talks about. I'd just about given up until the other night when I did my first blind taste test at home. The four bourbons I had my wife pour for me were:

1) Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond

2) Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond

3) Old Ezra 101

4) Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond

That was the order I tasted them in. Beforehand, if you'd asked me which was my favorite I would have said the Heaven Hill. Although, this was the first time I'd ever tried the Old Ezra. I wanted to throw in one wild card to see if I could pick it out. (Spoiler: I couldn't.)

When I smelled and tasted #1, the same thing happened that always does. My brain said, "Smells like bourbon, tastes like bourbon. The end." I was a little disappointed, but not all that surprised.

I took a sip of water, moved on to #2 and then I was blown away, because it was like a whole new world opened up. The first thing that hit me was how much sweeter it smelled. I picked up caramel corn in a big way. I couldn't believe I was actually picking up something like that for the first time. The taste was similar too, caramel corn at first, but then oak on the finish. Since it was so different from anything I'd ever experienced (or so I thought) I was certain that was the Old Ezra.

When I went to #3, it smelled strongly of spice, and I got the same from the taste as well. Lots of spicy notes. So, I went back to #1 for a second try and started picking up the smell of leather, but the taste was more corn and oak.

# 4 wasn't as pronounced as the others, but I got a decent amount of oak from it too. It was my least favorite of the four.

So, when I ranked them, VOB BiB was my favorite. Old Ezra was second, followed closely by HHBiB and finally Old Fitz.

I'm going to try just a single bourbon this evening and see if I can still pick out any tasting notes, or if my brain just registers as "bourbon" when I don't have anything to compare it against. Should be an interesting experiment.

@MisterOJ You can get a similar experience with even a single type of whiskey.  What I like to do is get that first, deep, alcoholic breath and taste in, which 9/10 times for me is 'yep, high octane whiskey'.  Then on the 2nd go through, sip some water, add a teaspoon or so of water to the glass, and do it again.  You'll notice it's not as alcoholic and the flavors start to open up.  Third sip, do the same.... it will be different than the other two.  Keep going until you really think you've found a good balance.  Most agree it's somewhere around the 30% alcohol range, or diluted about 25%; but the journey is really the best part.  Experiencing all the smells and tastes in-between.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:37 PM, Squab said:

What was your verdict?

I always think the Yamazaki 12 is expensive due to rarity but the older Japanese whiskeys I like more than most older scotch I have tried. My partner prefers Auchentoshan over Yamazaki whereas I am the opposite and the price difference is a lot. I had an Old Putenay 21 at a dinner last week and was very impressed but again, I thought the Yamazaki 18 was a little better. I would love to have both really. I always think the Nikka is like rocket fuel although its not bad for cask strength stuff.  The Tokinoka is a bit light for me and the Hakushu seems like a lower quality yamazaki (although I've only tried one hakushu). The only other one I've had a bottle of was Hibiki and I thought I could get better value for money from a Monkey Shoulder or similar. One scotch I was introduced to the other night that I thought was good is a Balvenie Caribbean Cask if you ever get the chance. 

Totally missed this. Thought it was great. There were a lot of older Japanese whiskey's, some of which you can't actually get in the US anymore. Really enjoyed 6 out of 7. Wish I could remember exactly what they all were because at least 3 of them were insanely good.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:47 PM, Mexal said:

I bought it recently for $65 here in NYC where prices are jacked up. It's delicious. 

I currently have bourbon, rye, American, scotch, Irish, Japanese and Taiwanese. What are some other countries/distilleries that makes an excellent bottle? I like an eclectic mix.

Have you tried Amrut? Indian whisky. Quite pleasant

My current favourites are divided between a light spicy Glen Scotia Double Wood (Campbelltown) and the very delicious Laphroaig PX (Islay). The sherry cask flavours mixing in the house peat of Laphroaig are yummy.

I tried some High West whiskey (rye, bourbon, and a weird blend) when I was in Park City the other week. None of them are going to replace any of my go-tos, but they were pretty decent. More so than I expected. The bourbon sure went down a treat as we were setting up our tents along the shores of the Great Salt Lake, that's for sure. 

24 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I tried some High West whiskey (rye, bourbon, and a weird blend) when I was in Park City the other week. None of them are going to replace any of my go-tos, but they were pretty decent. More so than I expected. The bourbon sure went down a treat as we were setting up our tents along the shores of the Great Salt Lake, that's for sure. 

I enjoy the High West Double Rye. Used to have a bottle on the shelf until I drank it.

wandered into this thread cause i am a drinker but not too much whiskey...vodka, tequila or rum are my go to liquors...potato vodka...tequila with a worm...or some good spiced rum will make me happy

I don't drink that much anymore, but guess I've been drinking various forms of whiskey for around 25 years or so now. I started like most before I was legally able to do so and we tended to be able to get our grubby underage hands on whiskey a bit then so I developed a taste for it.  When we were young it was usually Jim Beam that we would mix with various sodas not just cola but Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper as well.  I've went through various brands over the years but settled on scotch as my favorite probably 14 years or so ago.   I typically drink Glenlivet 12 year old and I do typically  drink it on ice.  I don't need it neat and don't mind a little ice melt watering it down some.    I know right now I have an unopened half gallon of Jim Beam I was gifted for being in a wedding party, I think I've had that in the pantry for five years or so.  I have a gift box of Jameson Irish Whiskey unopened that I think I was given two years ago.  At this point I might go through one or two bottles of Glenlivet a year, that doesn't count what I might order at a bar occasionally.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to trying Eagle Rare. It has always been such a well-like bourbon in every review/recommendation that I've ever seen. I first opened the bottle about a month ago. It was just "okay" so I figured I'd let it sit for a couple weeks and see if it changed any.

It did, but for the worse. Now I find it barely drinkable. The main flavors I get from it are dirt and grass. I almost wonder if I somehow got a contaminated bottle or something?

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

I finally got around to trying Eagle Rare. It has always been such a well-like bourbon in every review/recommendation that I've ever seen. I first opened the bottle about a month ago. It was just "okay" so I figured I'd let it sit for a couple weeks and see if it changed any.

It did, but for the worse. Now I find it barely drinkable. The main flavors I get from it are dirt and grass. I almost wonder if I somehow got a contaminated bottle or something?

Eagle Rare was recommended to me as well and I wasn't a big fan.

I just opened a bottle of Peg Leg Porker and I'm a fan. Not my favorite bourbon but a good addition to my bar cart.

On a side note, it's getting really hard to find Blanton's in NY. I'm getting annoyed.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Eagle Rare was recommended to me as well and I wasn't a big fan.

I just opened a bottle of Peg Leg Porker and I'm a fan. Not my favorite bourbon but a good addition to my bar cart.

On a side note, it's getting really hard to find Blanton's in NY. I'm getting annoyed.

Honestly, there's a lot better bourbons at the same price point, or below, than Blanton's. You're paying extra for the nice cap and cool bottle.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Honestly, there's a lot better bourbons at the same price point, or below, than Blanton's. You're paying extra for the nice cap and cool bottle.

Maybe. I like the taste. What are some cheaper bourbons with a similar flavor profile that I can get in NY?

16 hours ago, Mexal said:

Maybe. I like the taste. What are some cheaper bourbons with a similar flavor profile that I can get in NY?

The main one I'd suggest is Henry McKenna 10-year. I'm pretty sure it's nationally distributed and pretty easy to find. Down here, it goes for about half what Blanton's sells for. Elijah Craig small batch is another easy-to-find option at a lower price point. But if you see both, go for the McKenna first. They both have a very similar mash bill to Blanton's. (Blanton's has 15 % rye while the other two have 13%) They're also made by Heaven Hill, which is really just good value for almost every product they make.

I'd also suggest Four Roses single barrel for a third option with slightly more rye than Blanton's. It's also really, really good. 

Thanks for the recs. I checked two liquor stores near me and wasn't able to find the McKenna but could find the Elijah Craig Small Batch. I'l grab a bottle next time I'm near. 

I've had the Four Roses single barrel before. I like it quite a bit. Good rec.

So I know it's overrated due to scarcity and hype, but I was randomly having lunch at a spot last week and looked up to see ALL of the Pappy Van Winkle versions behind the bar. I couldn't resist the temptation and got a glass of the 13yr rye (because it was the only one I hadn't tried and wasn't like a million bucks for a pour). Fucking delicious and really just felt special because it is hard to come by. Overall worth it!

Been on an Old Fashioned kick lately.  Been making it with pure maple syrup and a dash of bitters over a single ice cube.  Stir that together then add 2-3 ounces of whiskey (I've been using Bulliet Bourbon) and stir that together.  While that sits, take an orange peel and get it all up inside a low ball, just mashing those those orange notes around the top of the glass.  Pour the mix over some ice, or one of them fancy ice balls or big cubes, and twist the orange peel to squeeze the last of the orange out of the peel and drop it in.  Get a great orange nose, a spicy/sweet front, and that nice oaky finish.  Seems to go down just as well on hot days as cold.  Just heavenly.

On 9/1/2017 at 4:21 PM, Mexal said:

Slightly tougher to find these days, but W.L. Weller is a really tasty bourbon for an absurdly cheap price. Also Eagle Rare is comparable in its profile and inexpensive.

I know Eagle Rare is from the same distillery as Blanton's and Weller may be as well, but I'm not totally certain.

7 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Slightly tougher to find these days, but W.L. Weller is a really tasty bourbon for an absurdly cheap price. Also Eagle Rare is comparable in its profile and inexpensive.

I know Eagle Rare is from the same distillery as Blanton's and Weller may be as well, but I'm not totally certain.

Blanton's, Eagle Rare and Weller are all produced by Buffalo Trace. Weller is a completely different bourbon than the other two, though. It's mash bill uses wheat instead of rye. I don't really like Weller Standard Reserve at all. I have a bottle of the Weller 12-year right now and it is delicious, however. It has one of the best oak char flavors of any bourbon I've ever tried. The SR gives me this weird fake cherry flavor that I don't find appealing at all.

The sad thing about the 12-year is that it's next to impossible to find in the wild. MSRP is somewhere around $30 for a fifth. On the secondary market, it's not uncommon to find 12-year going to $120 a bottle though, because of the stupid Pappy craze. The Weller products are made from the same distillate as Pappy. The only difference is that the barrels don't get the prime aging locations in the rick houses that the Pappy barrels get. So, essentially, if you're drinking Weller, you're drinking a less refined Pappy. And so, it's next to impossible to find now. 

18 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Blanton's, Eagle Rare and Weller are all produced by Buffalo Trace. Weller is a completely different bourbon than the other two, though. It's mash bill uses wheat instead of rye. I don't really like Weller Standard Reserve at all. I have a bottle of the Weller 12-year right now and it is delicious, however. It has one of the best oak char flavors of any bourbon I've ever tried. The SR gives me this weird fake cherry flavor that I don't find appealing at all.

The sad thing about the 12-year is that it's next to impossible to find in the wild. MSRP is somewhere around $30 for a fifth. On the secondary market, it's not uncommon to find 12-year going to $120 a bottle though, because of the stupid Pappy craze. The Weller products are made from the same distillate as Pappy. The only difference is that the barrels don't get the prime aging locations in the rick houses that the Pappy barrels get. So, essentially, if you're drinking Weller, you're drinking a less refined Pappy. And so, it's next to impossible to find now. 

Damn. I used to get Weller at like 10 bucks a fifth and even the 12 year was around $18 or so.

Archived