Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

PSG really shot themselves in the foot, dropping far too deep too early. Not to mention both Cavani and Di Maria producing weak finishes when one on one with the keeper. I guess that's Emery sacked at the end of the season then.

ETA. Stoke/Man City finishes 0-0. Not that anyone cares.

Cavani got the away goal with a brilliant finish, that should have been easily enough. Only the defence and Emery's management to blame.

On a more positive note, a performance for the ages from Neymar. Always easy to draw too much from a single moment or match, but is this the moment that he takes over from Messi as the key player?

With the caveat that I've only seen the highlights, I think calling this the greatest comeback of all time (or similar) is premature.

From what I can tell, two of the goals were scrappy defensive errors and two were very cheap penalties.

Maybe watching the game in its entirety would have given a different impression, and I get that scoring three goals after the 87th minute is crazy, but still. 

39 minutes ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

With the caveat that I've only seen the highlights, I think calling this the greatest comeback of all time (or similar) is premature.

From what I can tell, two of the goals were scrappy defensive errors and two were very cheap penalties.

Maybe watching the game in its entirety would have given a different impression, and I get that scoring three goals after the 87th minute is crazy, but still. 

Any comeback of this magnitude is going to need culpability to some degree from the opposition defence. A top level just won't give away six goals to anyone without a mental collapse. What made this special was that even within the comeback there was the extra twist with Cavani's killer seemingly ending the tie. Barca were then worse off than square one, needing three in half an hour instead of four in ninety minutes, just when the comeback seemed possible. Only then for Neymar to restart it with a brilliant free-kick late even in that 30 mins.

That was some tough shit for PSG today. I said to myself last night that they would win on agg, but thought if there's a team that could pull this off, it's Barca. That was some serious dramatics at the end. I got to take a late lunch at work and see the last ten minutes. Good timing. I think Barca, Real, and Bayern are the only teams that could pull off such a comeback. The better and more entertaining squad moves on but can't help but feel bad for Paris. 

14 hours ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

What was great about it is that coming into the game, PSG knows they should not conceed 4, and come armed to the teeth.

Several of the goals came about due to relentless pressure and dominating from Barca. Even PSG getting out through a counter when under siege was rare, because of Barca's pressure.

So the 2-0 happens because Iniesta does something unexpected and the defender panicks and scores an own goal. The first penalty was deserved I felt. The second on Suarez, alright, schwalbe, but the other side of it is, why does the defender make contact? There was contact, and you know Suarez is a diver. And it's given.

Also, Neymar completely turned this game around single-handedly. It seemed all over at 3-1 which only came to due Barca defenders suddenly falling asleep. Weird goal that. Neymar's free kick was just superb and suddenly there is hope again. Then he takes the penalty for 5-1. And then he gives a beautiful lob pass with his left foot ( not his best) that drops perfectly for Sergi roberto, in the final minute of the game.

All in all Barca just deserved it, thoroughly.

Emery just got his tactics completely wrong. PSG were sitting far too deep from the first minute and were struggling to string more than a handful of passes together. The counter-attacking game they used to such great effect was virtually non-existent until they went 3-0 down. After that they actually started to play a bit, Cavani pulls a goal back and then two one-on-ones with the keeper are squandered. Thereafter they dropped way too deep yet again. Granted, their defence wasn't as solid as the first leg but I don't think the defending was that bad. PSG would have gotten away with sitting so deep against most teams but it was shooting themselves in the foot doing it against a world class front three.

Archived