Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

I tuned in when it was 3-1 already and I must say that penalty on Suarez was as poor a decision as I've ever seen.

The guy barely touched Suarez and he came down in a heap, it's just... shocking to see THAT awarded.

I'm not advocating bringing back Ruddock-style defending or anything like that, but if that was a penalty then we should have some 5-6 penalties per match, at least. More contact is tolerated on every single corner kick taken. It was ridiculous.

Not bad for lame duck manager and his team.

Anyhow, I feel the penalty for Suarez was a bit soft. Yes, there was contact, but he really did not have to go down like that. Anyway, the first two goals were really PSG gifts. Marquinhos'es poor clearence on the first, that Suarez converted. Trapp didn't look good on that one, but realistically there was little he could do. He tried to repair the damage and get to the ball before Suarez, but it was simply too late. Full credit to Iniesta for creating that out of almost thin air. Marquinhos with the OG, and Trapp again not looking too good. Neymar's freekick felt/looked like Trapp could have saved that one. Yes, it was well placed, but Trapp was already in that corner.

19 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I think Klopp would be a great choice for Barca. His style of play with a much better squad is a scary prospect.

Poor fit imo. Barca has a certain style/philosophy. And they will pick their new manager accordingly. Besides, Klopp's biggest strength is motivating his players and I don't think he speaks Spanish. So I doubt Klopp is on a shortlist for that position.

Mourinho was 100% correct in complaining about the state of the pitch for our game against Rostov. It's hard going out there for both sets of players. This ref seems to think that any contact = foul. Gives Mkhi a yellow card for something that shouldn't even be considered a foul.

16 hours ago, Notone said:

Neymar's freekick felt/looked like Trapp could have saved that one. Yes, it was well placed, but Trapp was already in that corner.

Don't agree with this part, his free kick was fast and very precise. Kicks that good usually go in, and both Neymar and Messi do it fairly consistently, which impresses me.

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Don't agree with this part, his free kick was fast and very precise. Kicks that good usually go in, and both Neymar and Messi do it fairly consistently, which impresses me.

Possibly. My issue with Trapp on that one is, that he did not (bother to) stretch out his arms to make a real effort to stop it. To me it looked like he might have misjugded the trajectory and thought it would miss the goal; and when he realized his error it was too late to get his fists up.

Solid today. West Brom didn't get a sniff at goal - I can't remember Robles making a save for 90 minutes. 

We looked good at times today - had a couple of chances to score before we got the first goal. Quite a bit of movement ahead of the ball, so even if West Brom tried to park the bus (and succeeded for long stretches), we managed to break through several times, scoring three times in the process. 

Also, Niasse scoring twice?? Swansea, you fail at defense!

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Niasse's  almost as on fire as Josh King, who missed a penalty today but still scored a hattrick. That was a cracking game.

I feel as though this statement could only be true if spoken by someone who is not a West Ham fan.  The only thing cracking during that game for me was my teeth. 

As a Norwegian, I feel you. Josh King hasn't really showed himself to be a goal scorer for his entire career, so having him score three (and missing a penalty) comes as almost a big a shock as seeing Niasse score. 

Twice. He scored twice. 

Will wonders ever cease?

16 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

No Henderson or Sturridge, Firmino looks doubtful.Lovren is back.

Hoping for a Joey Barton red card.:P

Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Moreno, Lucas, Wilson, Woodburn. That is such an awful bench. Our squad depth is pathetic. 

1 minute ago, Mark Antony said:

Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Moreno, Lucas, Wilson, Woodburn. That is such an awful bench. Our squad depth is pathetic. 

Here's the actual team:

Mignolet

Clyne - Matip - Klavan - Milner

Wijnaldum - Emre - Lallana

Mane - Origi - Coutinho

LFC subs: Karius, Arnold, Moreno, Gomez, Lucas, Woodburn, Wilson

I don't think Firminho being out poses a major loss because the high press is going to be much less important today. Henderson's absence is a big loss, made bigger due to Can having a poor season. Burnely could make life very difficult especially if 'Pool don't get an early goal. The bench looks really thin as well. If the starting XI struggles, Klopp's options for changing things is very limited.

Archived