Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

43 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Let's be honest Kane is pretty elite level but shame he got injured. I'd even go on to say he might be best in England (considering missed few weeks at the start of the season and then this injury), his goal tally and they way he contributes to this team in overall play is impressive. But in general from the times of Shearer, Rooney (in prime), Sherringham, Fowler, Owen to this is pretty sad. Maybe less expectations, better results.

I've always found Kane to be a little overrated, although his goal tally is really good, so its hard to criticise him. He works hard and fits that role hes been given, but having watched him in a lot of Spurs matches I can't say he is exceptional at anything. His finishing is decent without being mindblowing, he's strong but not that strong, he's not really that technical but has a reasonable skill level. He's a good all rounder, which is maybe what is needed, but I'd never put him into the world class category

36 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Especially Lacazette who has been in fine, rest of them don't really deserve it over those in the squad. Deschamps got plenty to choose from.

Most of them are starting regularly unlike Giroud and I don't rate Thauvin particularly highly - though he is more of a winger than striker. I'm not sure what Lacazette and Modeste have to do. Both averaging more or less a goal a game this season.

11 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Most of them are starting regularly unlike Giroud and I don't rate Thauvin particularly highly - though he is more of a winger than striker. I'm not sure what Lacazette and Modeste have to do. Both averaging more or less a goal a game this season.

Giroud is very underrated but always performs when called upon. Very good in combo with Griezmann at EUROS. Thauvin is more of winger than a striker like Lacazette or Modeste. It's like Hazard being listed as striker when he's more of a winger. Lacazette is a mystery especially given he scores in League 1 and Europe. Mbappe as a striker deserves the spot, Payet again is a more of a winger. Griezmann too who can operate as out and out striker, secondary striker winger.

20 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I've always found Kane to be a little overrated, although his goal tally is really good, so its hard to criticise him. He works hard and fits that role hes been given, but having watched him in a lot of Spurs matches I can't say he is exceptional at anything. His finishing is decent without being mindblowing, he's strong but not that strong, he's not really that technical but has a reasonable skill level. He's a good all rounder, which is maybe what is needed, but I'd never put him into the world class category

I wish we had someone like Kane. No disrespect to Firmino, Origi or Sturridge but neither of them is perfect. Firmino fits Klopp's style but not enough goals or what you call that class as a striker. He's work well more from the side or behind main sriker.

Well, back to our point. He's not Lewandowski, Suarez type of striker who are a complete package. What you just described can fit to Costa, Aguero or Ibra in a way. Cavani can be also amazing but also wasteful at the same time. I've seen games where either of these guys either falls with their technique, dribbles too much( especially Costa), waste their chances and not that impressive. Of course goals tally is really good and especially for Ibra and Cavani.

Kane is from what I see solid to really good in many aspects of the game link up play, workrate, pressng, dribbling, finishing, technique. He doesn't have significant wekaness in his game, like where you can say he's shit at dribbling. I've seen him being wasteful but not more than the others. Then there is Lukaku who I just don't know where to put in terms of quality. He has impressive numbers.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

That skillset has put Klose on top of the all time goalscorer list at World Cups. So really no need to look down on the workhorses of football. 

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I'm not sure what Lacazette and Modeste have to do. Both averaging more or less a goal a game this season.

Maybe Modeste is a bit too old for Deschamps liking to bring him into the squad and compete with a really good set of forwards. And he lacks experience on an international level (EL or CL). 

4 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Especially when France can't even fit Coman, Martial, Lacazette, Benzema, Fekir, Modeste and Gignac in their squad. 

Coman has hardly played a full game for Bayern this season. There were really just six games in which he played 30 minutes or more. He is a bit like Kimmich a victim of Ancelotti's preference for older and more experienced players. That's why those rumors with Kimmich and ManCity are circulating. Whether Bayern will part with him, that's another question. Lahm and Alonso are both retiring at the end of the season, so that's two positions he can play. And good RBs are tough to come by. At least for reasonable prices. But fact of the matter is, that Kimmich is not happy with his reduced playing time under Ancelotti.

Can't wait for Dortmund v Monaco. That should be an extremely entertaining couple of fixtures. As far as the rest of the draw goes, I think Juve, Bayern, and Athletico advance. But here's to hoping Leicester City can pull off another miracle!

12 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I don't think missing out on the top four would be the worst thing in the world for Arsenal. Perhaps, from a board point of view, they need the catalyst of missing out on the Champion's League. This might be a necessary step in facilitating positive change.

The bigger thing I think will be persuading their better dudes to stick with them in the meantime.

I agree. I'm actually rooting for it right now. Don't think anything changes until Tottenham finishes above us and we miss the top 4.

I don't wanna hear the commentators talk anymore about how tough Walters is after he flails to the ground when Cahill touches him. 

Costa needs to calm the fuck down. This is getting heated.

Just wanna say that every single player on both teams in the Leicester/West Ham game has shown more balls than anyone in an Arsenal shirt did earlier.
Admittedly, Leicester in particular need to be ashamed of this and the way they shafted Claudio, but...

It says how much about how gutless I think Arsenal are that I think they'd be seriously improved as a team just by signing Antonio.

So, four goals. 

Good end result, and we started brightly - but we were fading towards the end there, and I'd say we were lucky the ref sent Huddlestone off. Wasn't more than a yellow imo.

Three points anyway, and another clean sheet. Good times.

The Bundesliga has become quite interesting this weekend. Not at the top. But the relegation battle is heating up. 

Köln on position 6. have gathered 37 points. Mordor is occupying position 16. with 27 points.

Worries should start around position 9. with M'Gladbach (32. Pts.). They are hosting Bayern tomorrow. So chances are they not going to pick up points there. 

It's starting to look like the players are turning/have turned against Wenger. Don't know how else to explain such spineless performances. Sanchez looks to be fed up and Arsenal might struggle to keep hold of him, especially if the status quo continues. Might be best if Arsenal do miss out on the top 4 and, hopefully, that forces the board to rethink their strategy.

From Wenger's recent comments I think that he has decided that he is leaving at the end of the season. He says his mind has just been made up, and I do not see what in the last couple of weeks would have persuaded him to continue, but plenty that would make him want to go.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

The Bundesliga has become quite interesting this weekend. Not at the top. But the relegation battle is heating up. 

Köln on position 6. have gathered 37 points. Mordor is occupying position 16. with 27 points.

Worries should start around position 9. with M'Gladbach (32. Pts.). They are hosting Bayern tomorrow. So chances are they not going to pick up points there. 

Probably should have been even tighter had Hamburg been given the penalty in this evening's match. I would be worried if I were Eintracht Frankfurt too given their hideous recent form. Not as much as Mainz or Augsburg as they have that seven point buffer, but with so many lower half teams in form they cannot think their season is over when they drop out of the European places. Maybe Leverkusen too as the next lowest team not improving, but they should have too much quality.

Oh Arsenal...I do feel sorry for Wenger, and I am a Wenger supporter, but it does look like missing out on the Top 4 is the only way things are going to change. I believe he should have the option to dictate his own future, but it's looks like his options for a graceful exit are diminishing and his chances of changing things by staying on are not great either.

If he announced he was leaving at the end of the season, everyone would get behind him again and want to give him a good sendoff. I'm not sure that's what he should do, but the negativity (and how his own future is closely tied to that negativity) is really casting a pall over things.

53 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Oh Arsenal...I do feel sorry for Wenger, and I am a Wenger supporter, but it does look like missing out on the Top 4 is the only way things are going to change. I believe he should have the option to dictate his own future, but it's looks like his options for a graceful exit are diminishing and his chances of changing things by staying on are not great either.

If he announced he was leaving at the end of the season, everyone would get behind him again and want to give him a good sendoff. I'm not sure that's what he should do, but the negativity (and how his own future is closely tied to that negativity) is really casting a pall over things.

It's definitely a self fulfilling cycle here. The negativity from the fans and the media is pushing into the locker room which leads us to play like shit and fulfill the expected negativity. It's not only that but I can't imagine the atmosphere at Arsenal is a fun one to be in right now.

10 hours ago, Mexal said:

It's definitely a self fulfilling cycle here. The negativity from the fans and the media is pushing into the locker room which leads us to play like shit and fulfill the expected negativity. It's not only that but I can't imagine the atmosphere at Arsenal is a fun one to be in right now.

But how long has it been going on for. This cycle of the exact same problems and issues has been a fixture in every Arsenal season for about a decade. I've never been able to get my head around it because its like a constant Deja Vu. 

Can we really blame the fans? I think they've been insanely supportive of Wenger, and the media have given him a free pass for years. If it was just luck each year or he loses out because of tiny margins then fair enough. But no each year they collapse mentally, they don't defend properly, they have no idea how to defend against set pieces... it just goes on and on. 

He should have gone years ago.

In fairness, seeing what happened to United when Ferguson left has tempered my views (and I suspect many others) on the topic of Wenger leaving.

I saw an article on Soccernet recently which outlined why Arsenal fans shouldn't be afraid (for one thing, Arsenal have been underachieving under Wenger whereas United seemed to be overachieving with Ferguson) but the great unknown is still a bit more unsettling than the devil you know, particularly a devil who has at least always fulfilled the minimum requirements of Top 4 qualification and (recently) the odd cup trophy.

To me, Wenger is basically like someone who's a reliable B manager (he would have been an A or even A+ in his early years). Nowadays, he's not going to get you the top grades, but you can bank on a B (except this season it appears). To take a punt on someone who may not turn out to be an A-grade manager is still a risk.

14 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Probably should have been even tighter had Hamburg been given the penalty in this evening's match. I would be worried if I were Eintracht Frankfurt too given their hideous recent form. Not as much as Mainz or Augsburg as they have that seven point buffer, but with so many lower half teams in form they cannot think their season is over when they drop out of the European places. Maybe Leverkusen too as the next lowest team not improving, but they should have too much quality.

Nah, them not winning was ok. Not just because it's them, but the game was so poor it really didn't deserve any goals, or a winner. Both teams with pass completion rates of around 50% pretty much sums that game up. (55% Frankfurt I think, and 51% for them).

On the other hand Ingolstadt could've and should've walked away with more than praise for their performance in Dortmund on friday. They created quite few really good chances, and they were also denied a penalty. Dortmund was really lucky to walk away with three points instead of nil.

It is so bloody frustrating watching United. Yet another game where we dominate, create chance after chance but can't score. At least we got one goal this time. It really should have been two or three though. Rashford is terrorizing the 'Boro defence with his pace but unfortunately his final pass/cross/shot is just not good enough. This same criticism applies to all our attacking players for the entire season. I'm just waiting for that sucker punch.

Archived