Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

21 hours ago, DJDonegal said:

I'm 31 this year and Arsenal haven't won a title since I've legally been able to drink (18 where I live). He is the only constant through that entire period as Kroenke didn't join the board until 2008, and his takeover was completed in 2011.

World's smallest violin. I'm 50 and my team hasn't won the title since... my team has never won the title.

13 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Do you think Ibra might go to MLS because while he plays for Man Utd, but I love to watch him play. One of my favourite players.

I think not, but mostly I just want him to stay with United next season as well.

Even moreso if it is unclear whether Griezmann comes. But I would like him *and* Zlatan.

18 hours ago, Hereward said:

World's smallest violin. I'm 50 and my team hasn't won the title since... my team has never won the title.

We're not really about titles, though.  We're about talking big and acting small.  Last season's best player is gone, who wants to bet me Michail Antonio isn't on the team next season?

Anyone?

On 22. 3. 2017 at 11:52 AM, Calibandar said:

I think not, but mostly I just want him to stay with United next season as well.

Even moreso if it is unclear whether Griezmann comes. But I would like him *and* Zlatan.

Griezmann would definitely want to play down the middle as a striker. Not on the wings ad Mourinho might sees him as a winger. Or would Man Utd go with 4-4-2? It would be shame if Zlatan went to MLS, when he's got plenty to offer.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:17 AM, Consigliere said:

Schweinsteiger has agreed to join Chicago Fire on a one year deal. Always been a huge fan of his and a bit sad to see him leave. Too bad things didn't work out at United. Unfortunately, all those injuries in recent years took their toll and he hasn't been fully fit in years. Good luck to him in the MLS.

Have fun playing in Bridgeview, Bastian.

I don't see him moving the needle on attendance for the team. 

Damn, I want to be enthusiastic about the Fire as my hometown team, but the stadium was done so wrong in every way.  Location, configuration, aesthetics (both in person and on TV), location, and most of all, location.

19 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Have fun playing in Bridgeview, Bastian.

I don't see him moving the needle on attendance for the team. 

Damn, I want to be enthusiastic about the Fire as my hometown team, but the stadium was done so wrong in every way.  Location, configuration, aesthetics (both in person and on TV), location, and most of all, location.

Always loved Schweinsteiger, but that was an underwhelming move for Chicago. They already have 2 solid, younger players in the center of midfield. Not to mention that this is the kind of move that MLS is (and hopefully continuing to) move away from. Full disclosure, I'm an Atlanta United season ticket holder and supporters club member, and love the fact that we signed a core of young, talented South Americans in/entering their prime. That's what clubs should be doing instead of grabbing aging, big names with too many miles on their legs. And I know it's early days for ATL, but damn, things are looking good right now!

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

And there goes Seamus Coleman's season, thanks to some second-rate Welsh thug. A truly horrible tackle that should carry with it the kind of ban duration that the injury itself will see. Perhaps these dipshits wouldn't lose their head quite so easily if there were significant consequences.

Absolutely horrific. The sort of injury where you've no guarantees of ever playing the game again. I wish him all the best.

I just saw that tackle on Coleman and it was bad. I'm sure there will be people who'll try to justify it that as "he didn't mean to"-"heat of the moment"-"part of the game" thing and there might even be some truth to it but it's still too harsh, brutal even.

There has to be a point where powers that be say that enough it enough, things like that have no place in the game and won't be tolerated any more.

On 3/19/2017 at 3:30 PM, Lord Friendzone said:

Question is why Liverpool can't replicate this success against lower teams. Motivation, lack of concentration in certain moments, unwillingness of Klopp to fit tactics to specific opponents?  As longs as we drop points against these teams, title is far away.

A major factor is our lack of a true striker.  Our conversion rate on good chances (as these stats are measured) is the lowest of the big teams.  Defensive teams will allow fewer chances.  Even though we create more chances than most of the other big teams, even against defensive teams, our conversion rate is so low that we can end up not scoring at all. 

Thin squad is another major factor.  We've had more disruptions to key players than most big teams -- in attack, midfield and defense, e.g. Coutinho, Mane, Henderson, Lallana, Lovren and Matip all missing at least a few games during our slump -- and our decline in performance when disrupted is more severe than all the other big teams, mainly because we don't have quality replacements available. 

On 3/24/2017 at 6:19 PM, Soylent Brown said:

And there goes Seamus Coleman's season, thanks to some second-rate Welsh thug. A truly horrible tackle that should carry with it the kind of ban duration that the injury itself will see. Perhaps these dipshits wouldn't lose their head quite so easily if there were significant consequences.

I agree.  The cost/benefit trade-off of dangerous fouls has favored the Keane, Batty, Barton, Terry, etc cohort for far too long. 

Starting to find Diego Costa's monthly discussion about what team he wants to join/tried to join obnoxious. The squad is having a great season and it seems like he can't wait to get out the door. 2/3 seasons with the club and he'll have 2 PL titles and most likely over 40 goals. You'd think the guy would be a little appreciative. 

I'm fine with him leaving after the season as I think we'll find someone to replace him. Hazard on the other hand, not so confident in replacing him. The Real talk makes me a little nervous.

18 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

newcastle is being connected to a move for Daniel Sturridge in the summer. 

could be the next Michael Owen if we buy him. 

Yeah, I don't see that being a good signing. Beyond him being guaranteed to be injured at least half the year even when he is fit now he doesn't look confident enough that he won't get injured to try to sprint anymore so he doesn't really offer the threat in behind or running at defenders he used to. He's never been great with any of the defensive side of the game. That pretty much leaves you carrying a player in the hopes he'll get a chance in the box and put it away which I'm not sure Newcastle will be able to do.

So pretty much the next Michael Owen (in fairness he might also score by taking a shot from outside the box which was very unlikely with Owen).

3 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Starting to find Diego Costa's monthly discussion about what team he wants to join/tried to join obnoxious. The squad is having a great season and it seems like he can't wait to get out the door. 2/3 seasons with the club and he'll have 2 PL titles and most likely over 40 goals. You'd think the guy would be a little appreciative. 

I'm fine with him leaving after the season as I think we'll find someone to replace him. Hazard on the other hand, not so confident in replacing him. The Real talk makes me a little nervous.

Yeah not really sure why it seems like Costa wants out but like you said as good he is he is replaceable. Hazard isnt but I think he'll sign a new deal at Chelsea and at least stay for one season of CL under Conte.

Just now, Mark Antony said:

Yeah not really sure why it seems like Costa wants out but like you said as good he is he is replaceable. Hazard isnt but I think he'll sign a new deal at Chelsea and at least stay for one season of CL under Conte.

Courtois and Hazard are key for them, Costa is replaceable. Lukaku or Morata will probably sing for them, maybe both as they need another striker even with Costa and without him two at least for that many competitions.

I'm actually not sure if Hazard is less replaceable than Costa, at all. Sure, Hazard is a better player, but while creative forwards quite as good as him are hard to find, there are lots of really good creative forwards and they'll find someone. Whereas top-level out-and-out strikers are rare these days and out-and-out strikers who bring Costa's running and hassle from the front even moreso. As good a player as Lukaku is, he'd require a change of approach that hasn't a guarantee of the same sort of success as they're having.

Costa's attitude sucks. When he plays the right way, he can be really good but recently he was mostly bad. The biggest strength in his game can be his biggest flaw. Can't dribble for shit and does it all the time, my friend who is their fan cricises him for this all the time. He runs literally to two or three people, easily loses the ball, Weak at headers, being physical, his running is a bit overrated. Hazard is the one who makes things happen for them.

Lukaku is definitely on his level. If you look at their stats :chances created, goals, how he works. He improved a lot in this aspect, even his first touch. I'd definitely take 100m from China for Costa and spend on Lukaku+ someone else who has ton of room to improve futhemore in the future.

Lukaku might be on his level but, as Polish said, he's a different type of player. Notably he doesn't tend to work very hard when his side don't have the ball (in fairness I haven't watched a lot of Everton games this year so he might have improved on that front under Koeman).

Archived